1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Low Power FM

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Phillip, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

We own one of the first licensed low power FM stations in the United States. It covers the entire city limits and also the state maximum security penitentury and two medium security facilities where we get a lot of letters from.

We play Christian contemporary music and it has gone over very well since all of the old commercial stations only play southern gospel on Sunday programs. We play twenty-four hours a day.

We focus our music towards a young adult audience. For instance, young mothers (or fathers) at home raising their kids, or women and men working in an office.

We focus our music towards adults so we stay away from the new rock and rap. We are finding that it is becoming harder and harder to get new music that is not too heavy. Obviously, the record companies are now controlling the religious music output and it is becoming money focused and God is obviously being left out. Sad.......

2. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

I wonder why it seems to be difficult for you to find good contemporary Christian music. Here in Southwest Florida (Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice), we have FOUR 'evangelical' Christian radio stations, three of which play contemporary Christian music. Moody Radio is my favorite, as well as Life FM 89.1. Both stations have been able to play good music 24/7, and perhaps you could view their 'playlist'.

www.lifefm891.org

www.wkes.org (Moody Radio)

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I guess I shouldn't have said it is really THAT difficult, but it seems that the trend is toward, heavier and heavier. For example, listen to the Wow series of CD's from the 90's onward to today. Although there are good on each, the trend is towards the heavy end.

Thanks for the links. I will have a program director check their lists out. Maybe it will help some. THX. [​IMG]

4. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Phillip,

Some of the better CCM music today would be from artists like:

Damaris Carbaugh
    Phillips, Craig, & Dean
    Third Day
    Steve Green
    "FFH"

Some of these I really like personally. I hope that this helps some. :cool:

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Yes it does. I do not have a lot of time to listen to everything I want. This will help point us toward some artists to look at. A real time-saver.
    Thanks,
    Phillip

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's really interesting.

Some friends and I have been looking into starting an internet station and things like internet radio and LPFM really interest me.

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Try ccbroadcasters.com (Christian Community). It is aimed specifically at providing information, news and other goodies on Low Power FM.

8. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phillip,

I was part of one of the first 25 LPFMs on the air as well (WKUY-LP 105.9). We had about 1200 songs in our library - all on hard drive. Why don't you have the Music Director (MD) get a group of volunteers to come to the station and screen music. You can involve new folks into the radio station and free up some of your time. Set the standard of what is/isn't acceptable by station policy.

BTW, a commercial station usually runs less than 100 songs in their playlists. New music is rotated into the playlist but it is rare to go more than 4-5 hours without a repeat.

Have you considered different genres during different timeslots? You could always play that hip-hop stuff at 3:00am. I played a eclectic mix during my morning show but it leaned heavily toward Southern Gospel.

9. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Phillip,

In addition to the artists I mentioned, I would also add:

Sarah Groves
    Bebo Norman (bebonorman.com)
    -- A great song called "Disappear"

On a day like this I want to crawl beneath a rock
    A million miles from the world, the noise, the commotion
    That never seems to stop

And on a day like this I want to run away from the routine
    Run away from the daily grind that can suck the life
    Right out of me
    I know of only one place I can run to…

Chorus:
    I want to hide in You
    The Way, the Life, the Truth
    So I can disappear
    And love is all there is to see
    Coming out of me
    And You become clear
    As I disappear

I don’t want to care about earthly things
    Be caught up in all the lies that trick my eyes
    They say it’s all about me
    I’m so tired of it being about me…

I would rather be cast away
    Separated from the human race
    If I don’t bring You glory

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Phillip! Suggestion time. On Saturday mornings, how about a 'children's hour or more' with some of the Brentwood or Cedarmont kids CD's? You could even have someone or a few people read some Bible story type devotionals for the kids.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

That is an excellent idea Diane. This also might work well on Sunday nights as a bed-time program for children. This way the churches could remind the families to let their kids listen when they get ready for bed. It could be run at about 8:00 or 8:30 so the churches would be home, but early enough for younger kids to stay up a little bit and listen.

My big problem right now is just getting enough churches to run their own Sunday programs to cover our costs. Between electric bills and music licensing fees, it is several hundred a month and many times comes out of my pocket. Since I am practically unemployed right now it has been a real problem. But, the Lord has provided so far. I often feel like my faith isn't strong enough when I get into a situation like we are right now.

12. Gib

Gib Active Member

On Tuesday nights from 9-10 you could have a talk show for people who are addicted to Baptist Boards. Callers could call in and receive over- the-phone counseling.

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I've got an idea on how to earn a little money, Phillip. We bought our T.V. Guardian from a low watt radio station in the next town. They bought in bulk and still kept the price right at retail.