1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Loyal Opposition/Traditional soteriology

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rlvaughn, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eric Hankins declares this;
    This is a wicked falsehood as posted. Hankins cannot show this anywhere as no one believes this wicked statement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be honest, brother, most of the actual SBC members couldn't care less. This is sometimes because of a shallowness of doctrine, but it is also sometimes because of a depth of doctrine that is not defined along this soteriological distinctive.

Many of us just watch an think "what a waste of our money and time" and wonder if the Convention is worth it. And then we look at the people reached through the SBC ministries and decide it is....for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have learned much in the last couple of years firsthand. It is sad when any church remains shallow in belief...probaly deficient in service.

He did not know what he believed but he was sure what was wrong with the historic beliefs?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a weird comment - it comes off like he's saying "After I published a series about framing our theology outside of Calvinism and Arminianism I realized I needed to form an opinion on the subject". :Laugh

I think his point was to address issues he saw within the historic SBC position and suggest a framework in which to work. N.T. Wright did something similar with his NPP (he brought up issues he had with the Reformed position, offered opinion but no real solution, and sought dialogue). Here, as with Wright, I do think that there is room for dialogue and perhaps even some refining (but probably not at the Convention level).

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure how you came to that conclusion but the Traditionalist statement was a response to sneaky cals and the push to make the SBC nothing but Calvinist.

I don't think the cals which want to make the SBC mostly or all cals knows what they are asking for. It would split the SBC and leave them with the minority. The average SBC church does not know or unnerstand the typical soteriology of calvinism and neither do they want to. If anyone told them that they need to believe that God chooses some to never be saved they would walk away from the whole thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I there are two reasons I came to that conclusion. First is the report that some Calvinists have misled local church leadership for the purpose of changing the doctrine if that church. It seems that people who would resort to such things hold a posistion that Calvinism is the doctrine SBC churches should hold. But you are right that I may be reading this part wrong as I have never met such a Calvinist.

The second reason is certain. The change that Dr. Hankins and Dr. Steve Gaines advocate (the comment of a universal atonement) excludes by statement of belief some Calvinists both are claiming they don't want to exclude.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revmitchell,

This label you and others use is not accurate. The Cals desire the truth of God to be exalted and that is what is happening.

In the last few years I have been in a few southern baptist churches.The level of bible knowledge is very low, and I believe is dishonoring to our Lord. I will give an example....
    Adult SS....they are using the lifeway booklet...a woman says...I never noticed that there were so many boats there in the water? this discussion lasts 25 minutes, on why do you think there were so many boats there? No spiritual discussion whatsoever, no clue or discussion on Kingdom matters at all.

Goats who walked the aisle will leave as truth enters in.

Thisis both true and disgraceful all the way around.
    maybe you have a verse or a quote that says this???

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the issue is simply one of diverse understanding. When you, for example, determine that Calvinism believes God "chooses some to never be saved" you are using a view of double-predestination that is typically foreign to SBC Calvinists but you are addressing it to that group.

The topic should be open for discussion within the SBC, and it is with some. But here are others who are not so tolerant - on both sides. Here we have the Traditionalists who want to adopt language into the SBC statement of faith that no Calvinist could in good conscience affirm. And they are saying this while at the same time saying they don't want to exclude Calvinists from the SBC. This is dishonest and, I believe, an attempt to make the SBC hostile to Calvinism.

At the same time, you are right that some have tried to "sneak" Calvinism into churches. And, as the attacks on @Skandelon proved a couple of years ago on this site, many Calvinists are no better at dialogue and tolerance in Christ than are some of the Traditionalists.

9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thankfully, many in the Monergist camp, as well as in the Synergist camp reject such nonsense. This is the same view Pelagius held, that infants are born tabula rasa or blank slate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but that is just not true.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet saying it doesn't make it so.

Since you are making the claim that most Calvinists within the SBC affirm "double predestination", please substantiate your claim.

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every cal believes in double predestination. If you believe that God predestined some to believe you cannot help but believe that He also predestined some not to believe. Some cals do not like to characterize it in that way but it is true none the less.

It cannot be true that some are predestined to believe and all the rest are not predestined to not believe. Its just not possible.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's like saying every non-Cal believes man saves himself (you should know better) . The difference is predestination as an activity of God.....btw.

Personally, I do agree with your logic regarding double predestination.

#53 JonC, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The fall of man assured that men would be condemned it's only Mercy that God Saves anyone out of the pile of condemned Humanity

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, when ppl stray from the doctrine of Original Sin, affirm that Adam's guilt was not passed onto his posterity, ppl's theology goes awry. Its viewable on this, and other forums. :(

• Like Like x 1