1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luke 21:8

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by thjplgvp, Nov 7, 2012.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Luke 21:8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

I have a question concerning this verse and general warning not to follow. I understand the religious climate around the world is different in each country and there are people who have said "I am Christ" but overall history has only recorded around 14 people who have actually stated they are Christ rather a small percentage when the scripture refers to many. Therefore my question is this, since Christ is in italics indicating it is not part of the original language, is it possible that the passage might be instructing us that the people that come in my name are simply people claiming to be Christians? And that the general warning is for true believers not to be duped by men and women who claim to be Christians and claim to have the answers that will make them the Savior mankind?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

You are correct that the Greek simply says "I am [he]." I still think it is refering to those claiming to be the messiah, or savior of mankind...The context is the end times...so perhaps in refers to the antiChrist(s)...if you are like me and don't think it will just be one person.

It could also be applied to anyone who puts their hope in a mere human whom they think will solve the world's problems (perhaps Obama, or Romney). Either way, those hopes will be disappointed. While very few have claimed to actually be the Jewish Messiah...many have claimed to be the person who will come in and solve everything: The Ceaser, Mohammed, Popes, Napoleon, Hitler, David Karesh, Dave Ramsey...I'd better stop. :tonofbricks:

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

One of my thoughts on this is somewhat historical taking us back a few years to the commencement of the Moral Majority headed up Dr. Fallwell who presented the idea that we can vote our way to a righteous nation depending on politicians to honest and moral in their approach to government.

Obviously forty years later most if not all realize the ballot box has merely shown that politicians have no moral backbone as it relates to taking a moral stand on anything.

This said it seems we as a nation are still looking to a man to solve not only our problems but the worlds. The passage in question would seem to say beware!! A man will not have the answers for mankind. Don't believe it and don't follow that line of reasoning.

Your thoughts

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Dave Ramsey, did not know he was a candidate for the anti-christ? :)

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The "I am" may be a reference to the deity of Jesus Christ. In the Old Testament "I AM" is used as the name of God. It appears frequently in the Gospel of John in reference to the deity of Jesus Christ.

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Not anti-Christ...not even necessarily his fault even, though I'm not sure...He IS however someone who people believe can solve all their problems.

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I have to admit, I am somewhat surprised that there was not more response to the verse considering we are now two days past the election. Is there no one else who would weight in on the passage?

Does this sound like begging? :)

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

If you will check the forum listing of threads you will see that a few catch fire but most don't. Why is beyond me!

9. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Don't over-think it.

Luk 21:7 They questioned Him, saying, "Teacher, when therefore will these things happen? And what will be the sign when these things are about to take place?"
    Luk 21:8 And He said, "See to it that you are not misled; for many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not go after them.
    Luk 21:9 "When you hear of wars and disturbances, do not be terrified; for these things must take place first, but the end does not follow immediately."
    Luk 21:10 Then He continued by saying to them, "Nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom,
    Luk 21:11 and there will be great earthquakes, and in various places plagues and famines; and there will be terrors and great signs from heaven. (NASB)

Jesus claimed to be "I AM" in other passages. This was an allusion to those, and to God's instruction to Moses in Exodus. In these end days, which started in the days Christ walked the earth, there would be many who make the same, that is to be "I AM". Jesus does not want us to be fooled and follow them.

Scripture is generally more straight forward than we often think.