1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Lustful Thoughts...While Asleep

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

So the dream I last last night about re-joining the military was a desire I have? I seriously doubt that. While I've regretted not making it a career, at 66 I have no desire to go back now.

Many of my dreams are real crazy and not at all pleasant. When I"m asleep, my mind goes places I have no desire to be. Sometimes I know it's only a dream and will force myself awake to escape the dream. Too often it seems so real that I just have to wait until I'm awake to escape it. Sometimes I have dreams I wish I could continue. Oftentimes I find myself a prisoner somewhere. I can fly in many of my dreams, but only in slow motion and close to the ground because of my fear of heights.

However, my point is that not ALL dreams are desires of our mind. I could tell you of dreams I've had that made no sense and still don't. Most of my dreams I forget, but a few of the really strange ones have stayed with me for years.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

In the Light...

Its no big deal. Forget about it. We have no control of our dreams.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not wrestling with the issue, I agree with your advice. I was kind of curious as to what other think about the issue.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't understand how you can draw a distinction between lustful dreams related to hormones and otherwise lustful dreams. Also, I don't see any indication of dreaming or evil dreaming in the verses you cited.​

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Dreams certainly can be influenced by what we see or hear during the day.

I will never forget when I was around 8 years old, my older brother and I watched this scary movie on TV, then we went to bed. We always went to bed at 9 PM, no exceptions with my Dad!

Anyway, around 11 PM my older brother jumped out of bed which woke me, he ran into the living room and I could hear my Dad say, "Fred, where are you going?" I heard our front door open and heard my Dad chase after my brother. My brother was running down the street (and he could run like a deer) and I could hear my Dad chasing him and shouting, "Fred, Fred, come back here!" It was hilarious! :laugh:

It took about a block, but my Dad caught my brother and brought him back. Later, my brother told me he had a bad dream about the movie we had watched before going to bed. We still talk about this incident to this day.

So, lots of things can influence what we dream, even food. I used to love to eat egg-rolls before going to bed and noticed I would have very vivid dreams with many colors. When I woke the next morning I would not feel rested. So now I never eat an egg-roll in the evening. :thumbs:

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Lustful dreams or dreams in which we do something contrary to God simply proves that sin resides in our flesh until God takes us home and we shed the corruptible and put on the incorruptible. We are sinners by nature, born that way.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Did you ever have lustful dreams when you were very little, say 8-10 years old? I didn't. Lustful dreams are a result of our learning about sex at an older age, starting in our early teens.

I don't recall EVER having a lustful dream when I was a young person, perhaps you are different.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't remember, but when my son was very little, he liked to "explore" himself. I assure you he did not learn that in my house. :laugh:

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am sorry Amy, that is not the same thing. It is perfectly normal for a small child to touch his body, even to stimulate himself. That is not sin.

I NEVER had any lustful dreams until I was a teenager and naturally started thinking about sex. And that is normal too, our hormones are kicking in, that is how God designed us. I am not saying God wants us to dream lustful dreams, but they are a result of natural physical processes that are taking place.

You folks see Total Depravity in everything, ridiculous. I have heard some folks claim when a baby cries it is sin, because the baby simply wants to be held. Absolute nonsense! It is perfectly normal for a baby to desire to be held by it's mother or father. If a baby did not like to be held, that would be a sign that something is wrong.

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winman is correct.

The hormonal "washing" primarily takes place during the sleep stage (example: growth hormone) and the body "tries out" in typical wet dream fashion the body parts.

Of course, often girls experience the beginnings pre-teen, and we males tend to lack behind by about 5 years.

The point I was posting was the person who struggles with the "sin" of a dream, and more particularly those who have become addicted to the pleasure release and continue beyond the typical wet dream state in which the dream becomes lust filled.

The other point I was posting about was to the person who struggles with the traumas (no matter the reason) and the dream state is highly troubled and distorted.

There are helps available to wrestle control over the "dream state" now than when I was a teen. At that time, any wet sheets were considered nasty, perverted, stunting growth, and liable to shorten the life span.

:)

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Don't Know About You, BUT....

...my steamy dreams always seem to take a sudden break before they get too hot and heavy, and I wake up to a dark bedroom. :praying:

I thank God I don't have to worry about the dreams getting past a certain point. :applause:

If I could market whatever it is that does this for me, I'd market and sell it. Sort of like one of those cyber programs that keep the person from those steamy sites and links. :laugh:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Its His choice we sin :confused:

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's His choice where He leads us.

Personally, He has never led me to sin.

But it is His choice to allow us to sin when we leave off following Him.

HankD

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You know, for whatever reason, that has never been a source of my dreams. The dreams I have are more along the line of being chased, flying on my own, awaiting tornadoes in a building or another type of disaster, dreaming of dead relatives alive and knowing they are dead, being in some kind of trouble with the law or other people, or sometimes, scenes from eternity.

One of the scariest dreams I ever had, as a child, is that my Mom was scolding me for something, I do not recall. The next day, she said those exact words to me. I have no explanation for that. I also have no explanation as to why I cannot recall a lustful dream.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's funny. Those are the EXACT dreams that I have on a regular basis.

I am forever being chased and not able to get to my gun or not able to pull the trigger if I can get to it. It's like the trigger is extremely tight.

I have dreams where I can take flight by certain movements of my feet. Those sometimes turn into nightmares where I can get down and I am being sucked up into the atmosphere. I try to grab hold of something like a power line. It's terrible.

I have the tornado dream VERY often.

I sometimes dream I have killed somebody and the police are bound to find out.

It's neat how you listed the very list of dreams I would have listed.

I also have a horrible nightmare from time to time that one of my children has fallen to their deaths.

And the most recurring of the nightmares that I have are that bugs are crawling on me in my sleep.

16. JimmyH

JimmyH New Member

I think the devil, satan , whatever you want to call him is real and if he can attack us with his 'fiery darts' he will. Not that every bad dream, lustful thought, waking or sleeping is attributable to him, but I wonder if some thoughts or dreams are.

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Dreams are awesome. We can do things in them we're not allowed to do in real life.

Although that occasional one where I'm suddenly nekkid in the marketplace or while walking back to my car one is rather disturbing, especially if the dream doesn't provide a dumpster or empty aisle to hide behind/in. :laugh:

Oh, and the one about suddenly rising in the air and trying to hide it. No clue what that's about.

But some others are fun.

Sin? If dreams are sinning, I give up on bothering to try not to be sinful. That's just crazy weird thinking. Put all my dreams together and I'm a crazy psycho bi-s**al with homicidal tendencies with a fetish for ducking behind dumpsters without clothes and eating chicken wings only to find the bottle of blue cheese is gone and I make my own but have to sneak the hunk of blue cheese out of Italy or sometimes India, which also makes me an international criminal to boot if all this is sin.

18. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Gina! Wings without bleu cheese? You need help before you start dreaming of tacos wthout salsa.

19. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The mind, conscious or sub-conscious is not redeemed. Renewing the mind is a daily process--in The Word. Lots of strange things have been revealed in dreams and apparitions. Most of this seems to come from the Evil One, the master of confusion. In as much as the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and the pride of life is processed through the mind and then through the heart(our secret place) which is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, we need to spend more time in prayer and Bible study. The roaring lion is still out there--with teeth.

I recall dreaming, even though I have sleep apnea which seriously impairs REM sleep/dreaming. CPAP, the basic apnea treatment enables REM, and the dreams have returned--sometimes I feel like I am being raptured; other dreams involve departed love ones. Sleep is about as close to death as one can get without making the trip across the dimensions.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Quickly followed by cereal without milk. If the trend continues, it could be a real nightmare!