1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Luther Rice College: Matthew Henry is outdated, but Calvin is not??

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 7, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched this video produced by Luther Rice College

What do you all think about this video, especially the parts about quoting Matthew Henry vs John Calvin, and free resources in a college paper?

The Research Process Step 2 Seek Appropriate Resources
    Direct link to video
    Media Player
    Page behind the direct link to the video
    The Research Process

03:48 Wrong kinds of sources:
    • study bibles
    • outdated resources (consistently older than ten years)
    • resources available for free on the web
    Think about what your notes and bibliography suggest about you to your professors!

04:40 Matthew Henry is good, but written in the 1600's. Outdated. Concerned with the Catholic Church, not German higher critics challenges to Bible authority. That came 200 years later. Does not apply to the Evangelical challenges we face now.

06:26 Finding Germinal Sources
    Read the original work. Read John Calvin himself, not someone that wrote about John Calvin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that Matthew Henry is outdated as commentary. There have just been too many discoveries, studies, and theogical development that are post-Matthew Henry for the commentary to be utilized as a source for serious study.

I would say the same regarding John Calvin's commentaries. But Calvin's contribution was also philosophical (divine predestination, the nature of communion, the role of secular government to the church, the nature of idolatry, ect). Even here, without Beza, Calvin's may be less relevant (Calvinism's impact today is mostly in relation to "the doctrines of grace").

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good luck with that, since much of John Calvin’s teaching remains unavailable in English, having yet to be translated after hundreds of years.

Sad, isn't it?

books.google.com/books?id=sGHKcZI3XAMC&pg=PA2

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad is exactly the right word.

5. RayS

RayS New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ten year guideline/rule is very common in academic research. I'm not sure why they would say that Henry is not acceptable. That does not make any sense to me. If someone is writing about a theological matter and Henry has something to say that is relevant, I would see no reason to leave him out.

Ray S.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks like they're talking about two different things, using up to date research and also using primary sources.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The academics must be like the Athenians, always wanting to read and hear (and cite) any "new" thing. In my own classroom studies, I most often found century-old material often to be superior to current views and trends.

That said, Matthew Henry and other such like are considered devotional rather than academic commentaries, and generally are not cited in seminary courses.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I explored that idea, knowing the speaker discussed them at different points, but I couldn't get past being clearly told to use one, but not the other, and being told that a professor's opinion of the entire paper would be affected by that choice. No instruction was given about when to use up to date research and when to use primary sources, was it?

If he he had said this, I would have understood that. It would have fit in with his caution not to use study Bible notes. What specifically defines Matthew Henry as a devotional commentary, and how can I know the difference between devotional and academic commentaries.

I am just not impressed that new is always better. And his blank statement not to use free resources was particularly concerning. If a Christian makes his material available to all Christians, it is no longer of value to academics?

I am more curious than have any opinions about how academia and Christianity mix in colleges. And I want to get up to speed quickly on this topic, so I have that knowledge as context. It took me about a year at a secular college to get that context about secular colleges. I needed that context to know when to ignore and when to obey the rants of my some of my more radical professors. When I followed general college expectations, and received a paper back with angry notes scribbled all over it, because in reality the professor didn't like my conclusion, I just played a passive aggressive role of bringing papers back to the tutoring center to ask how I could "do better" next time. The tutor would then report the professor and someone higher up would warn him to lay off me.

Elevating Calvin and banning Henry reminds me of my secular college. Yes, the professor stated a reason, but ... the reasons did not always stand up to scrutiny of his superiors and his peers.

I was confused by secular academia at first, but I eventually figured them out. My conclusions of what drives secular academia just don't fit into any professed goals of Christianity.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the topic and course would dictate.

Church History or Historical Theology? Interact with primary sources, don't rely on secondary sources.

New Testament Greek or Practical Theology? Use the most up to date research.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    That video really needed something more after the way that was presented.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like your breakdown here, as Christians who teach and pastor should know historical theology as well as modern!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What to know the difference between a technical and a devotional commentary? Read J Vernon on Romans, and then someone like Leon Morris!
    J vernon will give you practical application, the Morris type really get into background, history, hebrew and the greek !

• Like Like x 2
  13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, because Paul would not understand Theology well enough to submit a paper on it to Luther Rice.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, know that he would not know and understand stuff such as NT Wright and word of faith peddle!

15. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could quote Leon Morris' New Testament Theology in my research paper? I have access to that.

16. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    double post sorry

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Definitely, unless you were in a liberal college or seminary that might not accept conservative scholars (and there are some).

Just one hint about quoting: use quotes to *support* your position, but not to advance the discussion on its own. Otherwise Morris will get the A and you won't (learned from experience ).

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks!

I getting some context. I am also getting burnt out on this. Some of this is a distraction from what really matters. It isn't that I am not willing to work at things, it is just that some things are not worth working at, especially if it means not working at something else. I think I have enough context to pull back and think long and hard about how I want to proceed.

19. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, so now I know what "higher critics challenges" are, but I am not convinced that Matthew Henry's lack of challenge to them makes him outdated. Why give them so much credit? Why focus so much on every type of challenge, instead of staying focused on the core ideas presented at the beginning?

This feels a bit like a victim that tries to prove false every lie stated about her, instead of walking away and LIVING her life, centered on HER. If we stop and argue every little thing that anyone presents, who is in control? Who is at the center, and who is orbiting who?

20. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While you may find the work distasteful, if we're not going to totally separate from the world a la the Amish, academia is one area where it is essential that we continue to fight.

Millions will interact with the scholarship of the unbelievers and the theological liberals. We need people who can counter it.

• Like Like x 2