1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Luther Rice College: Matthew Henry is outdated, but Calvin is not??

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    why is that, as he was one of the most influential authors ever in Christianity!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is very important is to come to your own conclusions, as use the reference materials to make your own thesis and support it from the Bible and sources!

As with computers and internet, any can put together a really good looking paper. but have nothing really ones own in it!

3. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think I would know how to make a paper that is not my own. My professors always knew which paper was mine, whether they yelled at me or called it "brilliant". Every professor says I have a very strong writing voice. Some think I have excellent control of my voice for my level of training and some complain I am such a total disorganized mess that I am wasting my voice, but they all agree that I have voice.

I want to try my hand at this new world of writing. I want to do my best. I want to be polite and respectful. I want to find the balance of staying polite and respectful, and saying whatever it is that I decide I want to say.

I skimmed through the videos and website and I am uncertain what is expected for a paper. I think maybe they are just waiting to see what a student hands in, and seem to have accepted a wide range of writing, including students that only used school materials and their Bible. But the more I watch the videos, I can see the writing prompt is very similar to ones that are being featured in the training videos that teach very advanced skills.

I think the school is very Church of Christ, even if they claim to be non-denominational. I want to both be respectful of that and stay true to not just my own personal beliefs, but I also believe that I have the right to cling to my culture and identity as a member of that culture. Denominations are culture as well as belief, no matter how much people profess that not to be true. I don't want to switch up and I don't want to focus on what makes us different. There is so much that makes us the same and that can unite us. This paper and some of the training so far feels ... I don't know what word to use, but ... I would have preferred waiting before tackling my first Bible paper on a topic where Baptists and the professors disagree.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The conservative a cappella churches of Christ speak of other churches as denominations and themselves as not a denomination. This is consistent with their ecclesiology and how they view themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    The conservatives are more like each other than like anything else, but they have no tolerance for each other, and spend more time attacking each other than attacking anything else.

But I have eaten from the pagan pig pen. I know the final result of walking away from my dysfunctional family. I am back for better and for worse. I have to figure out how to maneuver within my family. We have not hit the a cappella, but I know it is coming. If they want me to write about that, I have something unique to say. :D . I don't know if they are ready for it.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So they are not the ones that say no electrical instruments and must be water baptized?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just was saying read all of your used materials, and come to your own views and conclusions!

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they are (although just no instruments -- nothing to do with whether the instruments are electrical).
    What you write may be unique compared to what they generally hear, but expect them to be ready. They had been debating this for possibly 150 years, and they love to debate.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So they would be a cult then?

10. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either I have not stumbled upon the information, and it is just tucked away out of disorganization; or the school is not transparent to the general public about their term paper expectations.

I'm just taking it one step at a time. Without guidance, I feel free to submit what I think is appropriate in general for a paper. I will see what I get for a response, and take it from there.

11. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that is fair!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They state that one MUST be water baptized to be saved, is that not adding good works to Grace?

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'll have to decide that term on your own. The conservative a cappella churches of Christ have a lot of presence on the internet, and you should be able to find plenty of information. This might be a good place to start.
    History of the Restoration Movement

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any that states one must be water baptized to be saved is reaching another Gospel, correct?
    NOT saying there are not save din that Church group, but their message is defective!

15. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are numerous Christian groups worldwide that are a cappella. Some of the Scottish Presbyterians don't even use hymns and just the psalms as well as forbidding instruments.

Was Calvin Psalms only?

I know the Pilgrims had a psalter, but I don't remember if they were psalms only.

The Amish and Mennonites are all a cappella.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not against just voices and psalms and hymns , but am against adding anything else needed to get saved!

17. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh. I understand now.

I attended a Church of Christ church that required people to say their baptisms in the Baptist church were not a real baptism because the Baptist church was not truly "Christian". It was not enough to agree to be rebaptised. The applicant needed to profess that the previous baptism was not enough. It was a long time ago and there is much that I do remember exactly. But there were people that attended and never become members over this issue, and they were not allowed to teach or take any leadership roles, which was a waste of badly needed talent.

It was sad, because otherwise people in the community would have joined and attended this church more often as there wasn't much else like it.

Yes, adding stuff to salvation is a big deal. The biggest deal, maybe? And that is part of what my paper is about. Maybe that does need to be in the Genesis course, the first course.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was poking more around the Luther Rice site, trying to access more of the R&W videos and instruction. In the bookstore, you can see which textbooks are used in the classes. The texts for the general education courses are all big name secular texts, even the R&W texts.

My Courses

Professor Mapes kept referring to "your textbook" and I got curious what that text is.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Their take on the Baptist baptism not being legit seems to be very cultist, for that would mean to them if invalid water baptism, no salvation!

20. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it might have been, but I don't want to put words in their mouths when I cannot remember that for a fact.