1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther Rice Seminary and SACS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by eddie, Dec 13, 2005.

1. eddie

eddie New Member

I found this on the SACS web site under actions taken (December 5, 2005) concerning Luther Rice Seminary SACS Actions Taken :

"The Commission denied authorization of a Candidacy Committee to the following institutions:
    Luther Rice Seminary, Inc., Lithonia, Georgia
    For failure to comply with Core Requirement 2.5 (Institutional Effectiveness), Core Requirement
    2.7.1 (Program Length), Core Requirement 2.8 (Faculty), Comprehensive Standard 3.7.1
    (Faculty), and Core Requirement 2.9 (Learning Resources and Services) of the Principles of
    Accreditation."

Your thoughts...

2. trogdor76

trogdor76 New Member

As an incoming LRS student (planning to start in January), I hope this is not the end of the process... hopefully just some minor technicalities to get past. Whenever I discussed the accreditation issue with the admissions office, they were certain becoming SACS accredited would not be a problem.

3. eddie

eddie New Member

trogdor76:

Sorry that I didn't see the topic you started on Luther Rice. I should have simply replied to your post.

I hope that you enjoy your studies at LRS. I considered attending LRS via distance learning, but I settled on Beacon University in Columbus, GA, which is TRACS accredited.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Never panic, this happens. My father has done on-site visits for SACS and I know of MAJOR universities that on their SACS "check up" they have failed to have their accreditation re-newed and had to have a second "check up". So this kind of thing happens. What happens now is 100% up to Luther Rice. They can fix what needs to be fixed and re-apply or they can drop the ball here. I have a feeling they will seek to fix the problems and re-apply sometime in the future.

However this is a major set-back for a school that badly needs regional accreditation. The TRACS accreditation is great but they also needs SACS.

Martin.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

that's too bad, I know they were working hard for this

I'm sure they'll press forward and work in these areas!

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If this was the first review for accreditation, this is the norm. No one passes on the first fly-over. I've worked in higher ed for years, and I've never heard of it happening.