1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther Rice Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by ReformedBaptist, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

2. ReformedBaptist

29 views and not a single comment!

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know much about them other than that they are not regionally accredited. They are accredited by TRACS, though.

I would not pursue a degree from them because I am interested in a research doctorate program, and these kinds of programs require at least regionally accredited degrees for entrance.

I am unable to speak about its quality for other purposes.

4. trogdor76

trogdor76 New Member

I recently graduated from LRU with an M.A. in Biblical Counseling. For what it is, I think it's a pretty good school... but I would echo the previous poster in that I would consider your goals before enroll there (or anywhere, for that matter). Myself, I am continuing my studies at Dallas Seminary this fall, in the ThM program. FWIW, I was actually able to transfer in some of my credits from LRU... not a whole lot, but every bit helps.

I am happy to answer any questions related to Luther Rice.

5. ReformedBaptist

My purpose in studying at a seminary is maybe different from others.

1. I am not seeking vocational ministry.
    2. My goal is to focus my personal studies in a systematic way.
    3. My purpose is to be able to better instruct my house. To nourish my wife and train my children.

You know, come to think of it, I might as well study where I woud love to study...at Reformed Theological and just do the certificate program.

6. trogdor76

trogdor76 New Member

7. ReformedBaptist

Thanks for the link. I think I am going to begin with RTS and run through Systematic Theology there.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've posted about Luther Rice in other threads around here. Some of my friends, and one of my mentors attended LRS. I have no problem with the people there or who have attended. I would suggest though, that if you're looking at seminaries there are much better options out there for you to consider. LRS is okay, but the degrees aren't viewed as healthily as other degrees. :)

editted to add: if you're looking for non-degree programs that are based in the seminary I'd suggest checking out iTunesU and the Reformed Theological Seminary courses available FOR FREE through iTunesU.

9. ReformedBaptist

Just completed the app for RTS. So here I go... :praying:

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Baptist Reply

RB,

Thanks for the PM messages. I would like for you to consider either The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville or Southeastern Baptist Seminary in NC.

Unless or until you are "strong in the Lord" pertaining to the Doctrines of Grace as you name implies, the Covenant Theology's emphasis on Paedobaptism (or pedobaptism) will be hard to get around if you are not now well grounded? (Take into consideration that I do not know "how much" or "what you know" presently or your spiritual maturity? And this is not meant as a criticism on any level.).

Think it through carefully!:thumbs:

"That is all!"

11. ReformedBaptist

No worries brother, that is good advice. I feel pretty grounded in my convictions regarding Baptism. Both the universties you mentioned are excellent options. I don't think Covenant Theology necessitates paedobaptism, but I do understand that is what they mean. My pastor and I will be having many discussions in this regard, and I should some access to Fred Malone. Nevertheless, we have nothing to fear from the truth.

Sooner or later I will get to reading Covenant Theology: From Adam to Christ by Nehemiah Coxe and John Owen. Perhaps this education will motived me to read that book. lol