1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther Rice Students

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by eddie, Jan 11, 2007.

1. eddie

eddie New Member

Hello,

I am finishing up a MA in Biblical Studies at Beacon University http://www.beacon.edu. I am strongly considering attending Luther Rice via distance learning to complete a M.Div. I'm also considering Liberty but Luther Rice is less expensive. Also, according to a Liberty representative I talked to, their biblical languages classes are not available online. Luther Rice offers Greek and Hebrew online. RA is not an issue for me.

Could any current or past students please comment on your experiences at Luther Rice? Any information about academics, faculty, administration, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that your inputs will strongly influence my decision, so I humbly ask that only those with personal experience with Luther Rice comment. If you have personal experience with Luther Rice and Liberty your comments would be very, very helpful!!

By the way, are there any other RA or NA U.S. schools that offer an M.Div completely online that I should also consider? In-residence and one-week modular courses are not an option for me.

Thanks!

Eddie

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I'm not a student, I do have a copy of LRU's catalog. You are required to attend graduation, or you will not be awarded the degree. That's the only residence requirement to my knowledge.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==First, congrats on your MA degree :thumbs: . Second, if RA is not an issue, by all means go to LRU. They are accredited by TRACS and many major seminaries will honor their degrees/credits (though not all). I use to have a list that I made after contacting several schools about LRU, however I think it go thrown away. I think Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary was one of several that will accept LRU degrees.

Btw, you are correct about languages and Liberty. In my opinion, as a Liberty alumni, that is their major weakness. However Liberty is a very good school, their dlp program is well done. I think most of Liberty's MDiv degrees do require some oncampus time (one week modules, etc). I earned a MA Religion from Liberty (via distance learning) and not a MDiv so I don't know all their MDiv policies. However I am pretty sure that I read that most of their MDiv degrees do require some, maybe very limited, oncampus time.

Since you have a MA in Biblical Studies you may want to contact Temple Baptist Seminary. I think they would allow you to do a MDiv without coming to campus if you already have a MA degree. That is what an admissions person told me via email at one point. You would need to verify that for yourself, of course. They are accredited by TRACS (not RA) and they do offer languages online.

Temple Baptist Seminary website

Their MDiv program

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Faith Seminary - Salem, OR

Check out the following web site: http://faithseminarysalem.com/distance_ed.html

Bill Grover (UZThD on this board) teaches there. They seem to have a good DE course offering and I'm sure that it'll be quality work and rigorous because Bill is the DE supervisor. :smilewinkgrin: I'm impressed with what I've seen. They are TRACS accredited.

However, I am not certain that they have all the M.Div. courses in DE format yet but you ought to PM Bill to get the firsthand info.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eddie Reponse

Eddie,

Glad to have you on the BB. If you could get Broadus to come on the line and tell you what he thinks about it, he has a degree from there and went on to do two degrees from Southern Seminary.

His would be an insightful opinion to have for sure.

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

6. eddie

eddie New Member

Thanks for these responses. I will check out Faith Seminary and Temple Baptist.

Beacon U. is a TRACS accredited school, so I have no problem with national accreditation. I am using this degree in my work as an associate pastor while working for the federal government. I'm not looking to become a college or seminary professor. I just want to effectively serve my church.

Thanks,

Eddie

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

From another Ed-

A very close friend of mine is a long-time faculty member and the librarian at Luther Rice, as well as being an early grad with a B.D., from LRTS. He was a Prof. of mine in Bible College, as well, some years ago. And I can vouch for him, :thumbsup: but actually no one else, simply because I do not know them.

Ed

8. eddie

eddie New Member

Ed,

Thanks for comment. Do you have an opinion of the Luther Rice library? Does it provide good support for DL students?

Eddie

9. trogdor76

trogdor76 New Member

I've been enrolled at Luther Rice for a year now as a distance student... have completed 15 hours toward an M.A. in Biblical Counseling. So far, my experience has been very positive and I have learned a lot. The profs and staff are generally very friendly and quick to answer questions or deal with problems. Regarding the library... I checked out 2 books last semester and received them very promptly. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

10. eddie

eddie New Member

Trogdor,

About how much writing is required on average in your classes? Do you watch lectures online for all your classes? Are required to have interaction with other DL students via a discussion board? Do you have to take your exams with a proctor? Are there due dates established throughout the semester for taking tests and turning in papers to keep students on track? I am a procrastinator and need this kind of structure.

Overall, have the courses been challenging? I would be dissatisfied with a program that was not challenging.

Thanks,

Eddie

11. trogdor76

trogdor76 New Member

Eddie,

For each class, you have weekly assignments... the class week begins Monday morning and everything must be turned in by midnight on Sunday. Minimally, they generally include an audio lecture (you can download or listen online) and required reading (usually fairly substantial). Quizzes (online, time limit) are usually given either weekly or bi-weekly, in addition to midterm and final exams (no proctor, taken online, time limit). Also, weekly or bi-weekly discussion board questions are generally required... you write 2-3 well developed paragraphs in response to the prof's question, and also respond to at least one other student. So far, that has constituted the bulk of my writing assignments... although my NT survey class required me to put together a large NT study handbook (rather time-consuming), which was a 3-part project with each part due at various points in the semester.

I'd say it's been pretty challenging thus far... some courses more challenging then others, but overall it keeps you pretty busy. Hope this helps...

12. eddie

eddie New Member

Trogdor,

This is great information and helps a whole lot!!

Question: Research papers have not been required?

Thanks again,

Eddie

13. trogdor76

trogdor76 New Member

I have not yet had to write a large research paper, but we'll see... I still have 30 hours to go (only 15 hours completed thus far). Although, with all the required discussion board activity, you are writing on an almost weekly basis.

The aforementioned NT handbook project was quite extensive, though. Probably the closest thing to an actual research paper I have done thus far. Had to write an outline of every NT book and give introductory info (author, date, genre, theme, etc.), plus do write-ups on the life of Christ, Paul's missionary journeys, and a summary of early church history. That thing took FOREVER to finish.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Great and informative thread.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Never seen the library, or even been on the LRTS campus, so I can't comment, sorry.

Ed

16. eddie

eddie New Member

Trogdor,

The NT handbook sounds like it was a great assignment. Just about all of my classes at Beacon Univ. have required research papers. I'm taking my last two classes for my MA degree right now. Both classes require papers. I gotta admit that I'm tired of writing papers!

Thanks,

Eddie

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I never 'tired' of writing papers.

I 'tired' of non-objective grading of some papers, and I 'tired' of the papers that were much too long for the topic.

But, writing papers really helped me learn a lot. And most of the papers 80% were not of the tiring nature.

18. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hi Eddie,

I wish I could tell you more about Luther Rice, but my experience is dated: MDiv in 1985 and DMin in 1992.

It sounds as though Luther Rice's DL program is better than when I was doing work through the school. We did, though, write research papers in almost all classes. As I said, though, it was a different program back then. Technology has greatly improved the delivery of the courses.

I hope you the best as you pursue the training you desire.

Bill

19. eddie

eddie New Member

Broadus,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Eddie

20. GARick

GARick New Member

Keep Your Kate

Graduated w/MA Ministry Leadership this past spring. Research papers seem to be a bit less emphasized now in the online format that they used to be in the old (discontinued) correspondence format. But there are still papers required dependant upon the course and professor. When they are required the formatting is critical…”There are two absolute authorities, God and Kate.”