1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther Rice Students

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by eddie, Jan 11, 2007.

1. eddie

eddie New Member

GARick,

Thanks for the info. It's the same way at Beacon U. A lot of attention is given to following Turabian style.

Eddie

2. Phoenix1

Phoenix1 New Member

Liberty University versus LRU

Hi Eddie,
    I am in the same boat as you. I was also looking at Liberty University versus LRU but I found that with Liberty that once you complete a Master's degree from another University you will no longer be able to transfer any of the credits over into the program. Look here on page 2 under transfer students:

http://www.liberty.edu/media/1162/degreeflyers/Master of Divinity.pdf

When I e-mailed Luther Rice University they said that I would be able to transfer in my previous Master's degree which for me would be just over 1/3 of the M.Div.

Also, with Liberty University a lot of classes have DVDs that you have to purchase and they run from about $100 to $150 per course whereas LRU, from the e-mail they sent me, has audio files you can download which is better since I can listen to them in my car and save some dough.

With the transfer credits, I am seriously considering LRU. Although one thing I wonder is if you can say you are going to Luther Rice Seminary (kind of like how Liberty Theological Seminary is under LU) since they changed their same from Luther Rice College & Seminary to Luther Rice University or would you have to say you going to the Seminary at Luther Rice University? Would anyone care if you graduated from a University instead of a Seminary?

Thanks and blessings,

Phoenix1

3. eddie

eddie New Member

Phoenix1,

Thanks for the great info!! I didn't know the Liberty policy when it comes to transferring credits from a previously completed Master's. That definitely means I will have to attend LRU.

I don't know if there are situations when it makes a difference whether you graduated from a "seminary" or "university". Anybody care to comment? Thanks.

Eddie

4. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

LRU's application for SACS accreditation

I've always liked what I've seen at Luther Rice. Does anyone know what happened with their application for SACS accreditation? I heard there was some sort of setback in the process last year. I never heard what SACS' concerns were.

Tom

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    LRU Response

Hey Gang!

I don't want to be a "naysayer," or "to rain on anybody's parade," or "to be a stick in the mud," or whatever other metaphor you may want to use.

However, having said that let me add this: I am not sure that LRU (as much as I love the school and have many friends who have graduated there) and/or Liberty's all "on line" MAR program are the same or equal caliber that one might get in an 100% "in class" degree program. The old tried and true method of lecture by a prof in class has so many merits that it would not be feasible to argue them here in the this context.

In light of my critique I would say, that either or both degree programs are good. If, however, if one is going to go on to do graduate work, it is my contention that the person with that particular credential might be somewhat "surprised" shall I say when a doctoral degree is sought from an ATS school!

But a degree from either institution would certainly equip one for pastoral, denominational, church leadership, missionary, or other "ministry" position.

Just more food for thought.

sdg! :praying:

rd

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eddie Response

Hello dear brother!

You have said that RA is not an issue for you. It might not be now but it very easily could become an issue later. Please consider that you do not want to do work over later when your entire circumstance may change. Please consider a degree program where no one can say, "You don't have the right education (or credential) to do that!"

I have found that as I have gone along throught the (my) educational process that it is long and drawn out it is for a reason. Sometimes time and expense and rigor are the only way to do things.

Just one man's opinion!:laugh:

FYI!

sdg!

rd

7. eddie

eddie New Member

Rhetorician,

Thanks for sharing your opinion, which I understand completely. However, either Liberty or Luther Rice will serve my needs quite well. Right now I'm leaning toward Luther Rice because of the lower cost. I'll let you all know which school I end up attending.

Eddie

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a reminder--Liberty is RA.

9. eddie

eddie New Member

StefanM,

Liberty is indeed RA; however, Liberty does not offer Hebrew and Greek courses online, which LRU does offer online. This is the main reason why I am leaning toward Luther Rice (and LRU is less expensive). In light of this fact, do you think I should still go with Liberty? My mind is still open. All opinions are welcome...

Thanks,

Eddie

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty might give you a little more utility because of the regional accreditation. For me, I did Greek and Hebrew as an undergrad, so the languages aren't as big of a factor for me.

I just wanted to make sure that whoever might be reading this last page doesn't think that Liberty lacks RA.

Just wondering about this...does anyone know if Liberty would transfer in language credits earned at LRU?

Also, even though you cannot transfer in credits from a previously completed master's degree, I wonder if Liberty might give advanced standing in this case.

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    StefanM Response

Generally speaking, if one is going to do the MDiv, administrators at seminaries expect that you will come in with at least 6 hours of "baby Greek" from college. With this expectation almost being universal, I am deeply doubtful that advanced standing could or would be extended. However, it will possibly/probably count so that the "newby" would be exempt from taking the first year of the "baby Greek."

For what it's worth!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have made it clearer, but I was wondering about the prospect of advanced standing (maybe exemption from some basic classes) on the basis of the completed MA, not from languages.

13. eddie

eddie New Member

I spoke to a Liberty graduate admissions rep last week. He told me that I can transfer credits from my completed Master's degree into Liberty's M.Div program. Is there anyone out there who has done this?

Eddie