1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luther

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Ps104_33, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Just finished watching the movie "Luther" starring Joseph Fiennes and thought it was good. Any one see it? I highly recommend.

LUTHER

2. Joeman

Joeman New Member

I just watched Luther yesterday and watched it again. It is a great inspiring feel good movie. However, I feel like the movie is very one-sided. I would say it's historically accurate, but it cuts out a lot of plots that makes the movie one-sided. It portraits the catholics as unreasonable people who just wanted Luthur to recant without any discussions. The fact is that the roman catholics already sent out people to debate Luthur in the public, and Luthur didn't exactly win by the landslide. It makes a very complex event like the reformation seems very simple. There are a lot of factors that lead to the reformation, and a lot of different people with things to gain and lose. It's not as simple as just indulgences or interpreting the bible. Toward the end, Luther is credited as the pioneer who translated the bible into their native language. The fact is that, there were many German bible versions available before Luther did his translation, and they were approved by the roman catholic church.

The movie is too short. I would recommend reading the book if you want the full story.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Of course you arent going to get all the details in a 90 min Hollywood production. But it gives one the gereral idea. As far as being one-sided I guess it depends on what pre-concieved theology one brings along. Roman Catholics unreasonable? Didnt they burn others at the stake unless they recanted? That doesnt sound reasonable.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just saw it with my family. Loved it.

In Christ,

Bob

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

To understand what Luther was really about, you need to have some backround of what life was like back then. People spoke and wrote considerably different to what we do today, thus alot of critiscm of Luther is often unwarranted!

6. Rachel

Rachel New Member

My husband and I just saw the movie too. We really liked it. What courage!

Rachel

7. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Actually for the most part it was an accurate account in its one sidedness, the Diet of Worms was accurate except in one detail. Luther postponed three days, I think. According to the records the only thing they asked Luther is "Do you recant?" The Roman curia did not debate at all until they were forced to respond at Augsburg by the German Princes, when they presented the Augsburg Confession.

8. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

Apparently, Luther did not nail the 95 Theses to the Castle Church.

web link