1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lutherans Tackle Homosexuality

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Aug 16, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Lutherans Tackle Homosexuality

MILWAUKEE (AP) — The nation's largest Lutheran denomination voted Saturday to stick to its schedule for making decisions on blessing same-sex marriages and allowing sexually active gays and lesbians in the clergy.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America voted 526 to 462 to defeat an amendment that would have postponed the decisions from 2005 to 2007.

"I'm just afraid we're going to delay the healing of the world if we don't continue with what we'd said we do," said Stephen Bouman, the bishop of metropolitan New York synod.

Members wearing rainbow scarves, signifying support for keeping the timeline on track, hugged each other and cheered after the assembly sang the hymn I've Got Peace Like a River immediately following the vote.

The church's assembly in 2001 commissioned a four-year study on homosexuality in the church and called for the vote to be held when the report is completed.

Some members had sought to delay the vote until 2007, when the church's study on human sexuality is scheduled to be completed.

"I just think we need more time to do the task we've been asked to do for the healing of the world," said the Rev. Michael Neils, bishop of the Grand Canyon Synod in Arizona.

Later Saturday, the ELCA assembly rejected 832 to 139 a motion to break ties with the Episcopalians. Last week the Episcopal General Convention ratified the election of that denomination's first openly gay bishop, and affirmed same-sex blessings as "an acceptable practice in the church."

The motion to suspend relations was proposed by a church member before the meeting but had not been recommended by a committee that studied the issue.

The ELCA recognizes and shares Episcopalian sacraments and clergy under a full communion pact the ELCA approved four years ago.

Although the ELCA doesn't have a definitive position banning same-sex unions, an advisory statement in 1993 said bishops do not approve of such a ceremony as an official rite because they see no basis for it in Scripture or church tradition.

The ELCA welcomes gay and lesbian members, and its ministers can be openly gay or lesbian if they are celibate.

http://www.11alive.com/life/life_article.aspx?storyid=35422

(Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

What is going on when so many 'christians' are accepting homosexuality. Are they so blinded by the world or what? Where is Christ in their decision to accept this?

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Their love for Him has "waxed cold"--Kate

Your buddy,
    Brother David

4. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

Yes, indeed, they are blinded to the truth. That is the only way they can embrace the world's view on homosexuality. [​IMG]

5. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

We need to be reminded, lest we forget:

"Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we received mercy, we do not lose heart, but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by the manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, 'Light shall shine out of darkness,' is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh."

2 Cor 4:1-11

6. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Thanks so much for that computerjunkie. Is it wrong to see a brother or sister fall for this and not be sad? Because I can't understand it, and yes it does make me sad. :(

7. computerjunkie

Elnora, no, it is NOT wrong to be sad for them. It is tragic that so many who profess to be Christians are blinded by the truth of God's Word. But they are deceived by the "god of this world", and we know who that is, don't we? So, we can be sad for them, but we must remember to PRAY for them. It breaks my heart to see what is happening in our churches today, but God is in control and His perfect plan will overcome the evil that is so prevalent today.

God bless you...CJ

8. Elnora

Elnora New Member

computerjunkie,

Yes I agree. I do pray. Question though. If they have allowed themselves to be deceived will our prayers help? The whole word of God tells us this is wrong. Can they be convinced after allowing themselves to be deceived even if it is clear in the Bible that God created woman for man and that a man comes from a woman. That God's intent was for a man to cleave to his (wife) woman. The term Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve sounds flip, almost silly... but it is so true. :(

God has a purpose for everything. Ok, talking to myself now..... I am with blackbird on this... even so Lord, come quickly.

Thanks for the edifying post.
    God bless you too. [​IMG]

9. computerjunkie

Elnora, I believe they can be convinced. We are all sinners from birth, but we have received the gift of God's salvation. In Acts 9, Saul was on the road to Damascus and was blinded by a light from heaven. In vs. 8, it says, "...though his eyes were open, he could see nothing." God used a man named Ananias to bring Saul to a full realization of the gift of God's grace. In vs. 18, we read, "And immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales and he regained his sight..."

I am by no means a seminary-trained pastor, so this may be a total misinterpretation of this scripture, but I believe there are people who KNOW the truth of God's Word and are blinded by the the "god of this world". I firmly believe God can remove the "scales" from their eyes and allow them to see His true light in the midst of their darkness.

Ananias didn't want to go to Saul. He argued, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem." (We say, "Lord, they'll NEVER change".) But the Lord said to him, "Go..." So Ananias went, and Paul saw the light! So many times we underestimate what God can do and how He can use us!!

We must continue to pray for God's light to shine in the midst of darkness and pray that God can use US to shine His light on a dark world.

...end of sermon!

10. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Hey I like sermons. [​IMG]
    I have to think about this more though. So now the question is... was Paul saved before or after Jesus appeared to him? I can't see Paul as an example after the road to Damascus saying, oh, a union between two committed men is ok. I actually don't think he would have thought so before, because he knew God's word. So are these people who are willingly deceived going to listen, or are they as 2Thess:

3. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
    4. Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
    5. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
    6. And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
    7. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
    8. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
    9. Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
    10. And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
    11. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
    12. That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

I believe this is talking about the revelation of faith through Christ but it also talks about taking pleasure in unrighteousness. How can we be a believer and do that? These people say they have Christ but then to say you can live this way and it's is blessed by God when he says to put yourselves above God you will be destroyed. Do they love the truth? It doesn't seem that way.

11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Even so come quickly Lord Jesus!

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

BB Members should keep in mind that there are different Lutheran denominations. The most common Lutherans in my area are affiliated with theLutheran Church - Missouri Synod, which has no ties with the ELCA.

13. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

And the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod is even more conservative than the LCMS.

14. mdkluge

mdkluge Guest

15. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yes John. I was once Missouri Synod.

Also there is Illinois Synod. Which is more relaxed and less traditional. I do not know where they stand. But their Services are opposite of the Missouri Synod.

Sherrie