1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lynne Cheney Outraged by Remarks

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Gershom, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

CORAOPOLIS, Pa. — Lynne Cheney accused Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry of pulling a "cheap and tawdry political trick," apparently for invoking her daughter's sexuality in his debate with President Bush.

Asked Wednesday night whether homosexuality is a choice, Kerry noted that one of Vice President Dick Cheney's daughters is a lesbian, and said she would probably affirm that she was born that way.

"We're all God's children," Kerry said during the debate in Tempe, Ariz.

Mrs. Cheney made clear she thought Kerry had crossed a line into family privacy when she introduced her husband to a supportive crowd of 800 after a debate-watching party in the Pittsburgh suburb of Coraopolis.

"Now, you know, I did have a chance to assess John Kerry once more and now the only thing I could conclude: This is not a good man," she said.

"Of course, I am speaking as a mom, and a pretty indignant mom. This is not a good man. What a cheap and tawdry political trick."

MORE/SOURCE

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

From another article:

SOURCE

3. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

What a surprise...Dick Cheney's wife doesn't think John Kerry is a good man. :D

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

They are upset because they think it may cost them some votes from the religious right voters who may not already know this fact about Cheney's daughter.

5. Pennsylvania Jim

In all fairness, I think it is a cheap shot. Many good parents have wayward children. OTOH, I wonder whether the Cheney's consider their daughter to be wayward. If he were not vice-president, in a time of homosexual political activism, it would be none of my business.

6. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I doubt the Cheney's are praying that their daughter repent of her sins and come to Christ. I would guess that they agree with Kerry, they just wanted to selectivly announce it only to certian groups of voters. They don't have a problem proclaiming her homosexuality to the Log Cabin Republicans when she campaigns to them.

7. Pennsylvania Jim

Good point. The homosexual lobby has a more receptive atmosphere in the White House now than ever before.

8. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pa. Jim,

If you were the POTUS - what legal and constitutional grounds would you use to deny access or appointments to homosexuals in government?

9. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

The charge that she was "outed" is just plain ridiculous. How can an "out" homosexual, particularly one that campaigns for the Log Cabin Republicans be "outed." Finding a person that watched the debates that didn't already know she's a lesbian is about as difficult as finding somebody that doesn't know Captain Kirk and Enterprise are associated with the term "Star Trek."

What's more, by talking about it in public, Lynn Cheney is actually exploiting her daughter's sexuality in a de facto manner too. They dislike what Kerry said, and call it a cheap shot, so, what do they do, they make public statements about their lesbian daughter's sexuality themselves. [​IMG]

Another poster at another BBS I frequently said it this way:

The fact that the Cheneys would use an opponent's comments about their daughter's sexual orientation, thereby exploiting their OWN child by extentsion, to fire up political supporters is RAMPANTLY disgusting.

In other words, if Kerry is guilty of exploiting their daughther, then their use of Kerry's statmetns to curry favor with their own voter base is just as bad, because they are also using their daughter's sexual orientation/preference in public for a political purpose.

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Fact is, Kerry said something supportive, but Lynn Cheney is expected to twist it into something negative to support her husband's career.

That's how it works. She lied about what he said, because that's what she's expected to do.

Of course she exploited her daughter to make a point. There's something more important to her involved here.

11. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Of course she is also speaking as the mother of a pervert.

12. Pennsylvania Jim

I would simply appoint someone else. That's easy. It's perfectlhy legal and constitutional. And it's the only Biblical behavior.

Why would a Christian do otherwise?

13. Pennsylvania Jim

The Cheney girl is being exploited by both her family and the Democrats for political purposes.

14. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Because they're human beings? Citizens? And the Government is not Church? And the Constitution of the US protects all kinds of sinners?

Would your approach be the same toward all sinners?

I would simply appoint someone else. That's easy. It's perfectlhy legal and constitutional. And it's the only Biblical behavior.

Why would a Christian do otherwise?
    </font>[/QUOTE]

15. Pennsylvania Jim

Axe murderers are also human beings and citizens. What do you propose, a random selection by lottery to fill the highest appointed positions in our government? You're not being logical, I think.

As to "all sinners"...that would be all of us. But if you think real hard, you might be able to conceive a difference between Mother Theresa and Ted Bundy.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

If someone were known as a practicing axe murderer, then that someone belongs in prison. Practicing homosexuals are legally allowed to practice in private.

Hardsheller proposed no such thing.

Ted Bundy was a US citizen....There is also a difference between Ted Bundy and Mary Cheney, many striking differences.

17. Pennsylvania Jim

But, Daisy, Hardsheller was arguing that homosexuals deserve to be placed in high offices simply because they are human beings and citizens. I was pointing out that both of those things are also true of axe murderers.

I know that Hardsheller did not propose a lottery, but he did seem to imply that there should not be any moral requirement for office. So, I was really just asking him to say exactly what requirements he does think should apply. Perhaps I should have worded it that way, instead of being a wiseguy.

Of course there are many striking differences between Bundy and Mother Theresa, that was just my point. The "we're all sinners so why shouldn't we turn society over to the sodomites" argument just doesn't hold water. That's what I was getting at.

18. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Pa. Jim,

You have more dodges than John Kerry and George W. Bush combined. Regardless of what you believe the world is not so black and white as you perceive it. The Constitution of the USA and the Law of the US is different from the New Testament or hadn't you noticed.

But Hey! You're the one voting for the Constitution Party Candidate - not me. If you hold it in such low regard then I understand where you're coming from.

And by the way - last time I checked Mother Theresa and Ted Bundy were both dead and gone to their reward, So I'll just leave that to their final judge.

19. Pennsylvania Jim

hardsheller, I didn't dodge anything.

It's simple. Appointees to high government positions should have high moral character. That excludes unrepentant homosexuals. Any president can find qualified moral people.

20. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

I agree totally.

But what I asked was What legal grounds and what Constitutional Grounds would you use to defend your actions?

What you are suggesting violates the US CODE 2302(b) of Title V that says a Federal Employer May Not (10) discriminate based on personal conduct which is not adverse to the on-the-job performance of an employee, applicant, or others;...

Not only does it violate the letter of the law but it also goes against the stated policy of the Office of Personnel Management of the Federal Government.

Rome was not built in a day.....

There is a lot of work in Washington that needs to be done to turn this country around.....

You speed that up by voting for Peroutka?

My logic is flawed? Check the mirror.