1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MacArthur on the Purpose Driven Life

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think you even know what the 40 days are in regards to. It's a discipleship book (meaning it is intended for believers) with the Gospel message present (for those who read it and are not).

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was making a joke. Because his books always seem to have a 40 day format. I wouldn't be supprised if he copywrited 40 days.

Now are you implying anything with your last sentence?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wasn't implying anything, and my apologies, it is hard to tell who and when we are joking at times.

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

RevMitchell...

No its not. Regarding salvation, "believing" (or "faith") are both spoken of in the scriptures as being the opposite of "works".

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

RevMitchell...

You are not the 1st one to make a referance like that, so dont think I am picking on you, but whats with this buisiness of "making" Jesus Lord?

We DO NOT "make" Jesus Lord. He IS Lord. All the time. He is the LORD Jesus Christ.

Always has been, always will be.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is Lord and for some He fails to be in their hearts. As far as picking on me well don't worry about that. You just do not have that ability.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The issue of lordship salvation and "You are assuming that believing and making Christ Lord are different." I was wondering how Jesus was Lord for the man in the verse I cited.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such a silly question. Claiming Christ as Lord in your heart does not mean perfection. But it does mean that there is not an intentional disobedient life style.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You never did answer how you would interpret 1 Cor 3:15.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How much disobedience constitutes a "lifestyle"?

11. historyb

historyb New Member

That's not true at all and a misrepresentation of Lordship Salvation of which I am a proponent. Here once again is a definition

Lordship salvation is a teaching in Christian theology that maintains good works are a necessary consequence of being declared righteous before God. In other words, Jesus cannot be considered a person's savior (that is, bringer of salvation) without simultaneously being lord of the person's life, which is demonstrated by the gradual purification from sin and the exercising of good works (for instance, caring for widows and orphans, James 1:27). This teaching is advocated in many of the creeds of Protestantism, but is not universally accepted. Advocates and opponents of the doctrine within Protestantism all agree that acceptance before God is through faith alone by grace alone, but they differ on whether true justification can ever be followed by leading a worldly life or even apostasy.

There is nothing in Lordship Salvation that you deposit

#111 historyb, May 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  12. historyb

historyb New Member

That is the looniest thing I have read

No, easy believism is a system in Evangelicalism where one just needs to believe and that is it, this goes hand in hand with seeker sensitive heresy

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How could I misrepresent the very quotes of the ones who claim it? Even YOUR flavor of LS has works being necessary in being declared righteous, for cryin' out loud! What "works" declared Abraham as righeous?

14. historyb

historyb New Member

That is a lie! Salvation is only by faith [snipped]

#114 historyb, May 22, 2009
  15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not about how much.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

But it is. One sin? One sin is disobedience, is it not?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is this not your quote? good works are a necessary consequence of being declared righteous before God.

I repeat...how was Abraham declared righteous?

Leave the ad hominems out if you want to be deemed credible.

18. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Faith/Repentance

Independence or dependance on anything but God = sin
    dependence upon God= faith/trust

Faith is the belief in and trusting in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior/ The Son of God.
    Repentance is the act of turning from independence or dependance upon whateverit may be to dependence upon Christ alone as Lord and Savior.

To say you have faith and no dependence upon Christ is false faith

The act of having faith in Christ is turning from self or whatever else to Christ in trust (aka repentance). this is a lifelong act granted by the Spirit of God.

repentance isnt trying to sort out all the sin in your life to be acceptable to Christ but rather the act of turning to Him in faith (which also begins practicing righteousness). So true faith and trust in Christ will also desire to stop known disobedience, but will never completely be sinless of course.

So repentance without faith is not true and faith without repentance is not true, but both of them joined together as 'one' seems to be true. Therefore if one says I trust in Christ as Savior and says He is not Lord of my life, then I would be worried. It is clear when one encounters Jesus and wants to be a disciple that they must forsake all, lose their lives, sell all they have, and truly want to do so for His sake. In other words they submit to His Lordship because they see the great worth of His Kingdom, and again I quote Mathew 13:44

Thats my two cents

19. historyb

historyb New Member

[snipped] Good works are a necessary consequence of salvation, if after your saved and do no good than you really aren't saved. As James 2:24 says Faith without works is dead. I am done here

#119 historyb, May 22, 2009
  20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm actually quite intelligent, despite your personal attacks, and am glad your done here...because you have erred in your James 2 exegesis, which does not support your stance one iota. Try using some context next time, and repent (make an upfront commitment) to stop promoting a works based salvation.

#120 webdog, May 22, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.