1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MacArthur's 4th distinctive of LS

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, Dec 27, 2007.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the other threads have little response (therefore, amazing agreement with the statements therein?), let's move on to #4:

You can find it at:
    http://www.gty.org/Resources/Articles/2439

I see MacArthur's major point as being that salvation will always produce a transformed life. Any objections to that?

peace to you:praying:

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

No objections. The only objection would be whether we SEE that transformation when WE want to see it. We are such an impatient lot that often we dismiss someone as unsaved when God is growing on them.

skypair

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. We need to define what JM means by "transformed life".

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

And too...

I think JM is setting up "easy believism" in much the same way that I set up "the gospel of election." That is, it is NOT a gospel that is proclaimed but it can be manufactured from some theologies. He just needs to make sure to delineate who he is talking about -- Arminians? I don't know anyone who subscribes to that anymore. Baptists? We teach that sinners must turn control of their lives over to God in repentance (not over to JM, BTW). Why doth JM protest what the potter does with the clay? :laugh:

skypair

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    He says what he means by transformation:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know of true believers who struggle in all of those areas. Are they not saved according to JM?

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you go back to the foundations of belief which MacArthur states prior to giving his distinctives of Lordship Salvation, he acknowledges that believers can and do sin, and sometimes horribly.

They simply will not continue in an unbroken pattern of behavior, based on the I John passage.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

He's saying the same thing that Jesus said to Nicodemus.

Jhn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
    Jhn 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
    Jhn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
    Jhn 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.