1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MacArthur's 5th distinctive of LS

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, Jan 1, 2008.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let us move on to the 5th distinctive of Lordship Salvation, according to John MacArthur. I must say that I have been surprised and pleased by the overwhelming agreement with the first 4 distinctives. It looks like MacArthur just may not be such a blantant false teacher as someone is trying to make him out to be:

peace to you:praying:

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

3. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

About 15 years ago, I brought book - "The Gosepl According to Jesus" by John MacArthur Jr. I did read throughout book. I have many disagrees with his teaching. During in that period, myself used to believe in security salvation. His book made me upset because his teachings seem teach on salvation by base on good works. Then, eight years later, I felt that 'easy believism' is a actual dangerous within baptist churches in America. I then realized that John MacArthur was right. He said, taking Lord's cross cost our life, not free and easy. He is right.

Although, I still see that John MacArthur stills believe in security salvation.

Ironic, I attending that church, many members are calvinists. One of the elders(deacons)' daughter is now attending Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI. Also, a great fine godly Christian family. A husband of that great family, attended Grace Community Church. He met a lady at that church, then they both got married. His wife is niece of John MacArthur Jr.! Anyway, they now have 10 children! They have NO T.V. at home! They refuse send their children to either public or Christian school. Mother is teaching her 10 children at home! That family really impress me! I don't care what parents believe and their belief. I can see their fruits that, they are truly wonderfuly godly, and their children all are truly GODLY!

I notice, there are mixed of Arminians and Calvinists at that church, which I am attending. Pastor of that church is strongly Calvinist.

Anyway, for me, I do NOT consider that John MacArthur Jr. is a truly "hyper" or regular 5-points calvinist. Because, his teaching look like arminianism to me.

Ironic, Pastor did mentioned John MacArthur many times at the church. I did looked at books(library) there are several books written by MacArtthur. But, the one book, it is not on the list - "The Gospel According to Jesus".

I think, "Lordship Salvation" is probably the most misunderstanding among Christians and baptists in America, what MacArthur actual teaching.

But, I would like to quote several important passages in his book of "Lordship Salvation", what he saying of scriptures:

1. "These scholars, pastors, and Bible teachers need to learn: ....-that faith without works is a dead faith and that no one will ever be saved by a dead faith". James said, "faith without deeds is usless" (James 2:20) - xii

2. "It is precisley here that the key distinction must be made. Salvation by faith does not elimate works per se. It does away with works that are the result of human effort alone. (Ephesians 2:8)." - pp. 33

Also, At first, I think, MacArthur's teaching on Judas and apostles(disciples) was strange to me. I want to show you what he said of Judas and apostles:

3. "Judas is a prime example of a professing believer who fell into absolute apostasy." - pp. 99

He continues, "It is doubtful that he joined Christ's band with the intention of turning against Him." - pp. 99.

MacArthur considered that Judas was not a truly saved.

Also, he said, "Yet, while the others were growing into apostles, Judas was quietly becoming a vile, calculating tool of Satan." - pp. 99

MacArthur said, all of them were still "growing" into apostles(disciples). I think, he means they were not actual saved at the first place yet.

His teaching is very strange to me. I still do NOT agree with him.

All of them included Judas were already "called" to be Christ's disciples at the first place.

He continued, "Whatever his character seemed to be at the beginning, his faith was not real." (John 13:10-11)." pp. 99

MacArthur tells us, Judas was not a truly saved.

I disagreed. I believe Judas was truly saved at the beginning, when he was called by Christ to became disciple.

4. He said, "Not all faith is redemptive. James 2:14-26 says faith without works is dead and cannot save." -pp. 170

5. He saying, the faith is not separate fom obedience for salvation. He said, "Clearly, the biblical concept of faith is inseparable from obedience. "Believe" is synonymous with "obey" in John 3:36, "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life." - pp. 174. MacArthur quoted verse from New American Standard Bible. He does not quote all verses from KJV in his book.

At first, I was upset and not agree with MacArthur on John 3:36.

Later, I realized he is right.

Understand, I am not a KJV Onlyist.

In KJV does discuss that salvation always come include with obedience, didn't you know that?

Look to 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 in KJV - "In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power."

This passage telling us, when Christ shall come with his angels at second advent, will send people to everlasting fire, for not know God, and do NOT OBEY the gospel of Jesus Christ.

This passage is a serious warning to us, if we do not obey His commandment, then, we might send away into everlasting fire. Do not agrue with me. Argue with Apostle Paul.

This is NOT "easy believism" as what Late Jack Hyles has done to America.

MacArthur continued, "Obedience is such an intgral part of saving faith" - pp. 174.

5. I want to show you something what MacArthur saying of Matt. 7:13-14.

He said, "Only one person can pass through at a time. No one comes into the kingdom of Christ as part of a group.....Entering the narrow gate is not easy. Luke 13 records that while Jesus was teaching in the villages, someone asked Him, "Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?" 9v.23). His answer obliterates modern easy-believism: "Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able" (emphasis added). The Greek word for strive" is 'agonizomai', implying an agonizing, intense, purposeful struggle. It is the same word used in 1 Corinthians 9:25 of an athlete battling to win a victory. It is also used in Colossians 4:12 of Epaphras laboring fervently, and in 1 Timothy 6:12, of the Christian who "fight the good fight of faith." It is a struggle, a battle, an extreme effort. There is almost a violence implied. And appropriately so, because entering the kingdom is like going into warfare." - pp. 182

At first, I was upset what MacArthur saying, I disagreed with his teaching. Then, years later, he is right.

I want to give you an illsutration of Matthew 7:14 to use "Race". I am sure many of you probably already watched or read famous classic comic story of turtle vs. rabbit in the race. Rabbit is the fastest in the race, turtl is the slowest in the race. Rabbit have great ability and speed. Turtle have little ablilty and lack of speed. Rabbit can easily win the race for sure, no question. When the race starts, rabbit zooooooms! ahead past turtle many miles away. Turtle runs so very slowing, he is many miles behind from rabbit. So, rabbit decides to turn off the road, and then to be relax, to sleep for a while. Turtle is not give up, he is so stubborn and he already determined set his own goal to reach the "FINISH' line all the way, no matter hoiw tired he is. He keep on running slowly. It takes him many hours to reach FINISH line. Rabbit have been sleeping past for many hours, then suddenly, he hears distance noisy of the attendance at the FINISH line miles away from the place, where rabbit stops. Then, he says, "Oh no!" He realizes that, a turtle is almost about to past the FINISH line anytime. So, he immediately start to running speed up again. But, the turtle finally past the FINISH line, it is too late for rabbit to make it. Turtle won the race.

Same with common of Matt. 7:14. God don't care how smart, eduction, abliity, you are. God interesting in our determination, being be faithful all the way to the end - Matt. 10:22; & Matt. 24:13.

MacArthur was right, enter the gate is not easy, it is difficult.

He continued, "Salvation is not easy" - pp. 182.

But, I still do not understand why he stills believe in security salvation same as 'unconditional security salvation'??

I better stop for now. I will continue quote his comments in the next post. To be continued....

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

#3 DeafPosttrib, Jan 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2008
  4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your input, PostDeafTrib. It seems you have spent alot of time meditating on these issues.

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it seems he was clear to what he was refering to.

Another laughable interpretation from you, skypair.