1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Magazine pulled

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think they were acting like that; that sounds like your projection on the event.

I'm not even in an SBC church, btw, but I think the issue of women pastors is a very important one.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have women been busting into your church and trying to preach, is that why it's an important issue?
    I saw the magazine today and it is a bunch of profiles on a bunch of different pastors that happen to be women. They speak of their experiences and the like, harmless stuff really. GospelToday should thank its lucky stars for all the free publicity.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Actually, one of the reasons the Baptist Sunday School Board changed their name was because they printed more than JUST Sunday school materials.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

A lot of women I know preach. But they don't use the pulpit. They preach, as men should, but their lives.

5. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

This is in violation to freedom of press, etc. I personally dont see why a woman cant do what a man can do and in many ways its very sexist telling women they need to stay home and raise the kids. I am now a single mom and if you told me I couldnt do something you would get quite a response. I am a woman I am a mom and I am a child of God. I have thought several times of becoming a pastor and using my testimony to minister to others. People need to get with it, this is 2008 not the 1950's..women can be anywhere the Lord leads them to. I got the chance a couple weeks ago to meet an awesome woman chaplain deploying to Iraq for her 3rd tour. Her story is amazing and I was so glad as I heard her talk while I was giving her her shots that God is using this woman for His glory. God has been using me and the trials I have been through to minister to men and women in the divorce care class I am becoming a very Big part of. I totally agree that God just needs a willing vessel He doesnt care if you are male or female as long as you have a heart to serve Him and have it open to Him.

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will ruffle feathers....I am ABSOLUTELY against women Pastors and preachers. Women can teach, they can minister through music, but they are scripturally ordered to be silent, which means no preaching or pastoring.

Sorry....if you don't like it, argue with the Bible, not with me.
    If it wasn't written plainly for all to read, I wouldn't be saying this here.

Debbie Mc

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I thought music and teaching involved sound. SIlence means no noise.

8. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, if you read the whole thing, you will comprehend that they are talking specifically about running the church and about doing the duties of the "Poimen", who tends to the flock. Women are forbidden to do that.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If you read through Acts, women tended to the flock throughout.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The good ole, don't confuse me with the facts arguement. I love the silence is silence only when it's not silence. I mean if the singing is good, let them sing.

It's too bad that we can't allow ourselves to see past the cultural context of the day and church crisis Paul was addressing. There are numerous examples of women leading, you just don't want to see them or you have convinced yourself they were doing something other than leading.

11. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can twist the scriptures to say about anything you want if you don't like what it REALLY says.....churches do it all the time. That's why there's so many Laodecian churches today.

But if you let the Holy Spirit guide, you will come up with only one answer, and it is not popular, but what, in the BIBLE, IS popular? Women are not supposed to be the Pastor or the Deacon. End of discussion. Anyone who would believe otherwise would be part of that group that wants to say God is a woman.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, clearly it isn't the end of the discussion, because we are still talking about it. God is neither man nor woman, both are made in his image and God is spirit John 4:24. That doesn't make God a woman, he choose to reveal himself as a man through the person of Jesus, so we refer to God as a him. Don't fool yourself, there are characteristics that we consider female that God possesses.

13. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Lifeway should be ashamed of themselves. They are being petty and silly.

In Gods scriptures we find...

Women in authority politically
    Women prophets
    Women evangelists
    Women teaching men
    A woman as the leader of a man/woman ministry team
    At least one woman pastor.

And the Southern Baptist group itself has women pastors in place right now, and at least one Senior pastor.

And yet Lifeway takes this stance.

As a "card carrying" Baptist I find this just plain silly.

:godisgood:

#53 Alive in Christ, Oct 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008