1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mail order ordination

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

What do you think?

2. Plain Old Bill

Just to qualify this post, I saw it brought up on another post and thought I would just bring it up and let everybody air it out.

3. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

How can a preacher of rightousness justify lying to the world about his qualifications?

4. Plain Old Bill

Why would a pracher lie about his qualifications? What if he openly admitted his ordination was mail order or over the internet or given to him by some bible college or denomination?

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Paul of Eugene hit it pretty much on the head.

Ordination is a sacred time for the man of God called to be a pastor. Many times we Baptists have glossed over the matter of ordination and just made it a quick council and then dinner with a "vote" which no one will likely fail. I've heard some friends speak of their ordination into ministry and their ordination councils as just mere steps where no real theology or doctrine was explored. I fully intend my ordination council to be rigorous and thorough.

These mail order ordinations, or ones done over the internet, are fool hearty and just another example of watering down the Gospel.

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

The whole purpose of ordination is to say a groups of ministers who have seen your ministry in action verify that your calling is indeed of the Lord and that your heart is dedicated to the gospel of Christ.

If you just order an ordination by mail you are telling me that you either do not feel that you are qualified to stand before a council and prove yourself OR you are just too impatient to wait to be called before a council (which is not a good ministry trait). It also may lead me to think that you are not called of God but you want to be patted on the back by people who are awed by ministers. If you want to perform marriages...just become a sea captian ;)

8. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

TC,

Interesting article. If we throw out the traditional term "ordination", what would be a good replacement? i.e., "Commissioned". I prefer the word "commissioned", however that word is not commonly understood and I'm back to using the word "ordination."

My church uses the term "ordination", but we do not believe that only the "ordained" are equipped to administer Baptism, Lord's Supper, and preach.

Regardless of what term we use, I think it's acceptable for a local church to formally recognize someone that is being led by the Lord to serve as a Pastor or Elder. Scripture supports such recognitions.

Blessings,
    Jeff

9. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and that is what most baptists believe ordination is - recognizing God's call on a person and ensuring proper doctrine. I'm not against the traditional word, just the perversion of it that has allowed too many Churches to become one man shows. Every member of a local Church labors together and it's natural for different people (as led by God) to assume various roles. As not everybody has the same talents and abilities. And it's perfectly legit to recognize those different roles in a formal manner - just as was done in the NT. Mail order is definately not the way to go. Every time someone was ordained in the NT for some ministry or purpose, it was done in the local Church where the person was known intimately and could be examined in detail.

10. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

TC,

You and I are on the 'same page' on this issue.

Mail order "ordinations" are not valid, even if the person obtaining one has a formal education. At a minimum, a person seeking ordination should be examined and recommended by other believers within the context of a local church.

--Jeff

11. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

The people who do mail order ordination are the same ones who do communion with big macs & coca-colas (for youth).

12. Plain Old Bill

Since it has been easy enough for us to establish the fact of the invalidity of mail order ordinations, the next questions would be How valid is an ordination from a Bible College or Seminary? How valid is a denominational ordination?

13. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

PO BILL: The ordination would be as valid as the integrity and the doctrinal soundness of the body issuing the ordination.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How 'bout a BaptistBoard Ordination certificate? I'm thinking I could use $100 every now and then . . :rolleyes:

15. Plain Old Bill

Good one Dr. Bob.
    I think only the Local New Testament Church has the proper authority to do ordination.However everybody and thier brother is ordaining everybody and thier brother and sister.
    Like I said I saw this in a thread and thought I would run it by everyone.
    So when you do this ordaining Dr. Bob do you suppose you could also issue a Phd (piled higher and deeper).

16. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Where do I mail the check?

17. The Right Way

The Right Way New Member

Food for thought.

All State and County Government offices will allow an internet ordained minister to offically marry a couple. The State says it is a sanctified marriage. Is the State and Federal Authorities correct in making that Statement? Are they really trying to keep marriage a sanctified ritual when they allow anyone with a computer or a stamp, and $10.00 to perform a marriage?

18. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My ex mother-in-law did an at home Bible course and was "ordained" as a charismatic preacher. She then decided to start up a church, which lasted about 2 months or so and had, at best, no more than 10 to 12 people attending (unfortunately, I was one of those 10 to 12 people). All in all, it was pretty sad. I think my dog had a better grasp of doctrine and theology then she did. :rolleyes:

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

19. Pete

Pete New Member

For those who can't afford the prestigious Dr Bob's BB Ordination certificate, can get ordained for free at <a href="http://ficotw.org/ordination.html" target="_blank">
    First International Church Of The Web</a>. But why stop there, invest in some degrees while you are there http://www.ficotw.org/school.html

Or maybe Dr Bob will haggle? :D

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if it's going to be a BAPTIST ordination (by someone who was baptized by someone who was baptized by someone who was baptized by John the Baptist), then IT WILL COST YOU SOMETHING.

If you've seen my belly and my backside, you'll know that there is little "firm" about me.

But anyway, wasn't haggle some German philosopher?