1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mainstream Baptist leaders credit ‘freedom’ for keeping them Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Feb 26, 2007.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. If anyone has been around long enough they have seen the best and the worst of those who call themselves Christians.
    Christians are often theological conservatives but practical atheists, Blackaby said in the second message of his series Feb. 18.
    “Our problem is not in our doctrinal correctness,” Blackaby said. “Our problem is that we are not living it. And doctrinal correctness according to the Scripture is not head knowledge. It is heart knowledge.”
    Blackaby pointed out that even though the Pharisees were doctrinally correct, their hearts were far from God.

Source: http://www.swbts.edu/publicrelations/story.cfm?id=41DD867E-F4F3-67D4-025B82432F550063

Personally I want little to do with conservatives and liberals and any other political parties.

Jesus called believers to radical Christianity.

From the book Growing True Disciples by George Barna , pages 128 - 132

Let's Be Real

Truthfully, while disciple-making must be a priority for you, by whatever means you select, you must enter the process with your eyes open. What happens when you make true disciples - not just students or group members, but real zealots for Christ?

Peoples lives change
    The collection of disciples - the true Church - gains favor with the world.
    Society is changed by the disciples.
    Society experiences turmoil as a result of the Church being true to God's truths and commands.
    Disciples are persecuted.

Making disciples and being a disciple is not a complete joyride. Disciple-making is not the answer to every cultural problem that exists - in fact, an effective discipleship process may create new tensions and animosities within the culture as God's principles clash with Satan's principles in the battle of spiritual kingdoms. But the hardships that arise as a result of engagement in disciple-making are no excuse to avoid or minimize our devotion to the process and its outcomes; in fact, they are an indicator that the Church is being the Church. As long as the battle between good and evil persists, we will not experience a peaceful, loving, wholly satisfying society. However, while being avid, passionate disciples of Jesus Christ will not bring about the perfect society, the thrust to be true disciples is the answer for each of us, individually, in the quest to become pleasing and honorable people in God's eyes.

We cannot help but have a positive impact on the world when we are being Christ-like, even though the results of our life may not always look pretty. Not even Jesus, the Son of God, the Prince of Peace, the Savior of Humankind, was loved by all people. If we follow His ways and His footsteps, we should not expect to be loved and accepted by everyone either. But God, the Father of Creation, was completely pleased with the work of the Son - and that was all that mattered to the Son. So Jesus is our model and that is our challenge: to gain the acceptance of the Father, by imitating the work of the Son, through the empowerment of the Spirit. The results that emerge are up to God to disentangle. That is a task clearly beyond our capabilities.

When you hire people, you study their lives to look for clues as to what they will be like as an employee. When you buy products, you study the contents and reviews to determine which products will provide the outcomes you desire. As you strive to become a disciple and to make disciples, keep your eyes on the substance of the subject, whether it is you or someone whom you are discipling.

Here's what you're looking for - and, if it's absent, what you are trying to infuse within the true disciple:
    the passion of Stephen
    the joy of the post-Pentecost apostles
    the integrity of Nathanael
    the availability of Mary
    the perseverance of Paul
    the transformation of Peter
    the wisdom of James
    the servanthood of Martha
    the love of John
    the generosity of Joseph the Levite from Cyprus
    the seriousness of John the Baptist
    the studiousness of Luke
    the humility and reverent faith of the centurion
    the evangelistic sharing of Andrew
    the character of Jesus

None of these stalwarts of the faith (with the exception of Jesus) was a perfect representation of each of the qualities listed here. Each of these individuals stood out for a handful of qualities, and presumably worked on developing other qualities that brought them into greater conformity with Jesus' life. As you study their paths to glory keep in mind that even the models of our faith fell short of the glory of God. By our very nature, we always will; but by God's will, we must not accept our limitations as excuses to give up.

The real obstacles to becoming a fully devoted, zealous disciple of Christ are not money, time, methods or knowledge. The major obstacle is the human heart. When that changes, all else changes. Jesus frequently reminded His disciples that the problem was not one of knowledge but of character The Pharisees had more religious knowledge than they knew what to do with but they lacked the character to apply it in ways that transformed themselves and their world. Judas spent many months living with Jesus, observing His ways and His miracles, learning timeless and transforming principles directly from the lips of the Master, and yet all of His knowledge and experience could not compensate for a wicked heart. A disciple is a person of Christian character. Just as Paul instructed his young disciple Timothy, if you develop appropriate character, the rest will follow.

Go, Therefore ...
    Be a true disciple. Go and make disciples.
    And what will it look like, when it works?

True discipleship produces holistic personal transformation, not mere assimilation into a community of church members.

True discipleship is witnessed by people who are determined to be a blessing to others - people who are never content to simply accept and enjoy God's blessings to them.

True discipleship
    creates Christians who aggressively pursue spiritual growth rather than passively experience spiritual evolution.

True discipleship spawns individuals who develop renewed lifestyles instead of believers who mechanically check off completed assignments on a developmental agenda.

True discipleship results in people who are more concerned about the quality of their character than the extent of their knowledge.

True discipleship builds churches known for their culture of love, commitment and service rather than for their events, information and programs.

True discipleship facilitates people devoted to a lifelong journey to imitate Jesus Christ, rather than the completion of a short-term regimen of tasks and responsibilities.

Do you passionately want to become a zealous disciple of Jesus Christ? Are you committed to bring others with you on that amazing journey?

Discipleship is about complete obedience to the Word of God, driven by a heart that can stand to do nothing less and a mind that knows it pays to focus on nothing less and a mind that knows it pays to focus on nothing else. Can we fulfill this mammoth challenge? Jesus, our mentor, says we can. "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in Me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these..." (John 14:12)

If you are devoted to the process of spiritual growth, and to allowing God's Holy Spirit to shape you on that journey, how you end up will bear scant resemblance to what you were when you began the journey.

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

No sir. Your analysis of the church today could not be more wrong. The church isn't in its current apostate state because of conservative vs. Liberal. There is no evidence for that. The church is fulfilling scripture of 1 Peter 3:3 and 2 Timothy 4:3,4 itself as within the walls of our church buildings there are a majority of lost people who look for teachers that will teach feel good positive messages and leave out or even deny the necessary doctrines on hell, sin and satan.

The church no longer believes in godly fear and church discipline which are doctrines taught throughout the bible and by Jesus himself. The church in America is as lost as the day is long. The people within the walls of our church buildings are dying and on their way to hell.

You want to discuss a radical Christianity look to Zacheus. He was radical enough to make right all that he had done wrong. He wasnt taught to do it in a discipleship class it was an immediate result of a true conversion and an honest heart for Christ. That is true Christianity. And true Christianity is not radical it is reverent, peaceful, and does not fail to come about because of hypocrits in the church, or because of believed perceptions. People do not refuse God because of what other people do. That is their excuse. When you are called of God and you have a true and genuine heart for Christ you come regardless of the obstacles. Zacheus didnt let the crowd deterr him he climbed a tree. And when we are converted we have an immediate change that is obvious to all.

The church is in a mess because it is lost. And America is in more need of Evangelsim than any other country in the world.

Your characterization of conservative v. liberal is a distraction from the real problem. The real problem is the psuedo-church needs salvation.

And since this thread has gotten of topic I will end my comments on this issue here.

#42 2 Timothy2:1-4, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
  3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is the point I was trying to make all along.

Just look at what is happening in the SBC. I pastored a SBC church where the leaders invited the Mormon bishop to come and preach at events they were in charge of in town. The SBC knew about it and let it happen without anyone saying anything until I came. The deacons told me they thought the man was a Christian. I told them that he had not left the Mormon Church.

The Success Syndrome. It is prevalent everywhere. It is in business especially. People want a quick profit.

I would rather look to Jesus the author and perfecter of faith.

What would you call Jesus when he turned over the tax gatherers tables? Was that not radical.

Heb. 12:1, 2, “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

In my discussions with many non-believers today they tell me they believe in God but want nothing to do with what they see on TV. They have referred to Christians as idiots following another idiot.

Jesus did not come to bring peace but a sword. In true discipleship the person is identified with Christ.

Mt. 10:34-39 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. "For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be the members of his household. "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. "And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. "He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.”

#43 gb93433, Mar 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007