1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Major League SOCCER - 2004 Season Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by bb_baptist, Apr 4, 2004.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

With the start of the 2004 MLS season, I am opening a new MLS thread.

Official MLS website: http://www.mlsnet.com

Today, Freddy Adu became the youngest athlete in a major American league in more than 100 years, entering the game in the 61st minute of D.C. United's 2-1 victory over the defending champion San Jose Earthquakes in the MLS season opener. The 14-year-old Adu ran onto the field to thunderous cheers and chants of "Freddy, Freddy!"

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Heres hoping Freddy stays healthy at his young age. What a tragedy it would be for his skill to be ended by a childhood injury. Hoping he does well and is a help to the US World Cup squad in 2006.

My Wizards started out as usual, a nil all draw to Chicago.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad day for both sports and the youngster for a 14 years old kid to be a "pro" at anything.

But how many soccer fans are there in the USA (know it is popular in the rest of the world, but see only a modicum of interest here)

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

If this lad is as good as he looks he could lift the US to unheard of heights in the 2006 World Cup. Since it is in Germany the games will not be in the middle of the night this time and if the US does well everyone will know who he is then.

BTW - I am concerned about his youth playing for a professional team.

MSL is growing. European football is better known now in the States than ever before with kids following teams like Real Madrid and Manchester United (yuck). This may catch on yet.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I root for Fake Madrid, not the real one.

(Also use shampoo, instead of real poo)

6. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

With all 10 MLS teams in action on opening day last Saturday, MLS averaged 19,540 fans per game. Los Angeles drew a league high 25,152.

WEEK 1 RESULTS
    Saturday, April 3
    D.C. United 2 San Jose 1
    Columbus 1 MetroStars 3
    Kansas City 0 Chicago 0
    Dallas 1 Colorado 1
    Los Angeles 3 New England 2

ATTENDANCE
    Team: average home attendance
    Los Angeles: 25,152
    D.C. United: 24,603
    Kansas City: 20,229
    Columbus: 20,356
    Dallas: 7,359
    Chicago: no home game
    Colorado: no home game
    San Jose: no home game
    MetroStars: no home game
    New England: no home game
    Leaguewide: 5 games, 97,699 fans for 19,540.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Good week - better attendances than a lot of baseball teams.

8. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Though I am of European descent - most of family has been in the states for well over 100 years.

Have seen one soccer game in person - watched a little on TV (especially the American woman's team when it was so good) - but by-in-large - I do not care for soccer. Prefer higher scoring games!

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Never paid attetnion til I moved here - now I love the sport! Rugby is my favourite sport now, but "football" (Read soccer) is second, about tied with American football.

10. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I find soccor to be apsolutly awesome in real life and somewhat boring on TV. I enjoy all sports much more in real life though soccor seems to have the biggest extreme. Never been to a pro basketball game so I can't really comment on that.

11. CoachC

CoachC New Member

As a football and basketball coach I used to worry about soccer pulling athletes away from the others. I'm glad that this isn't the case. I know that at the school I work at, the marching band, drama department, and the chorus have been harder hit by soccer than the others.

I have tried to watch and follow soccer and it isn't something that I find entertaining. I feel bad for the Adu kid they are trying to market him and the league will be out of business within three years. Although to his credit he seems to be more mature than some of our kids that go pro in other sports, aka Maurice Clarett and the NFL and all the high schoolers and underclassmen trying to get into the NBA.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Don't think the league will be out of business in three years. It is in its ninth season and averaging almost 20,000 per game attendance.

13. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I agree. The fact is that the American soccer scene is healthier and better right now than it probably ever has been. It's amazing to think how far the sport has come in the last 15 years. It wasn't that long ago that qualifying for the World Cup was a dream; now we're favored to qualify, and possibly considered the strongest team in the region. It wasn't that long ago that you could never see Americans playing soccer on TV; now, with just basic cable, you can watch a couple of games a week, and if you get FoxSportsWorld, you get more soccer than you can watch.

Soccer fans have long been predicting, hoping that the world's game would finally take hold in this country. And now there's a glimmer of hope. First, the last World Cup stirred up genuine excitement, as the U.S. team showed for the first time — beating Portugal and Mexico and, in defeat, outplaying megapower Germany — that they may soon be able to compete with anybody.

And this past month saw the most excitement in the relatively brief history of Major League Soccer, the arrival of 14-year-old wunderkind Freddy Adu. Adu's debut with D.C. United was a sellout, attracted some 230 journalists and scored a 1.8 percent rating on ABC, 64 percent higher than last year's season kickoff and higher than the average NHL rating on the same network. A new ESPN poll indicates that 43 percent of those between ages 12 and 17 have an interest in the MLS, twice the level among Baby Boomers. And that higher number is mirrored by Hispanics, America's fastest-growing demographic.

14. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

The official website has been totally redesigned.

The new MLSnet.com is broadcasting matches over the internet at broadband speeds.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sights/

Upcoming live streams:
    5/7 9:30 p.m. Revolution @ Rapids
    5/8 4:00 p.m. Galaxy @ Burn
    5/8 7:30 p.m. Crew @ D.C. United
    5/8 8:30 p.m. Fire @ Wizards
    5/8 10:00 p.m. MetroStars @ Earthquakes

15. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

The 2004 Sierra Mist MLS All-Star Game will be an East-West affair, Major League Soccer announced Thursday. The game, which will take place on July 31 at 2 p.m. ET in Washington, D.C., will pit the best of the Eastern Conference against the best of the Western Conference and will be preceded by a match between a reunion of 1994 World Cup stars against a team of former MLS internationals.

MLS also announced Thursday that on Sept. 21, a squad of MLS All-Stars will travel to Madrid to take on Spanish power Real Madrid for the 25th annual Santiago Bernabeu Trophy.

16. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

MLS and the Metrostars announced Thursday morning the plans to build a 25,000-seat, $100 million stadium in Harrison, N.J. After four years of speculation, the dream is on the verge of reality.

Final architectural plans will be presented within 60 days and ground breaking should take place between the middle of October and the middle of November. The MetroStars will play one more season in the 80,000-seat Giants Stadium before moving at the start of the 2006 season.

The stadium will be located across the Passaic River from Newark off Interstate 280 and within walking distance of the Harrison PATH station.

[​IMG]

The Columbus Crew and Los Angeles Galaxy each have soccer-specific stadiums.

Dallas, Colorado and Chicago have all announced plans to leave current venues for smaller, newer facilities.

17. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh boy, there goes the neighborhood! [​IMG]