1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Make that State Carpet Taupe or We’ll Have a Work Stoppage!!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Mar 13, 2011.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make that State Carpet Taupe or We’ll Have a Work Stoppage!!
    by Maureen Martin
    on March 9, 2011

I haven’t been able to figure out why state employees are so enraged at the possibility of having to contribute to their pensions and health care benefits. They took over the State Capitol in Wisconsin, eating, sleeping, and not showering there for many days and nights. They were banging on drums relentlessly, screaming obscenities at lawmakers and their staff, and blocking access to restrooms for all but their own. About 200 of them ganged up on one single Republican state senator until police could rescue him.

Sure, the money’s important, but that important? What I didn’t realize is that it’s also about working conditions. Silly me.

Some items subject to collective bargaining in Wisconsin, according to Governor Scott Walker’s office, include:

Workers’ desks and chairs
    Their footrests
    The kind of carpeting and wall covering used in the workplace
    The number of windows
    Room temperature
    Paid time off to donate blood
    The size and location of union bulletin boards

Now I get it. Serious issues are at stake!!

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like a bunch of children being weened off of sugar. Speaking of children, notice how many kids were protesting who should've been in school? College kids, too.

I really think ultimately what is fueling this at the top level is the whole Right-To-Work part of it. Workers are no longer forced to join the union to keep their jobs, and if they remain they must physically write a check out to pay the union dues. The state no longer will deduct it from their paychecks. Many will leave the unions, and I think that's what the leadership is really against.