1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Making History (and Having Nobody Notice)

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by humblethinker, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

While I agree with this in principle I don't want niceties (which are good) to corrupt the facts.

The fact is that there is a good reason WHY you once thought all IFB folks were narrow minded, backwards people. Because so many are and because so many of us who have encountered many of them have seen that first hand.

The lesson you learned in encountering John is that not ALL of them are that way. That is a good and accurate lesson.

But it does not change the fact that many are out there smearing the name of fundamentalism with stupidity, hatefulness, hero worship and Phariseeism.

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. Notice John did not say that is what they are KNOWN for...but rather what the one's he associates with are ABOUT...it is what they were about when they began.

2. I hate to point out the obvious, but you are the primary one on this particular thread who is being fault-finding and divisive.

3. It sounds to me like john is doing the very thing you wish the rest of wishy-washy christianity would do: man up, defend what you believe, regardless of how some people view you or the words you use to describe yourself.

4. http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/20-reasons-i-dont-take-potshots-at-fundamentalists

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

John often tries to paint himself as a tremendous person. This is another characteristic I see common in IFB. They exalt people well above what any people ought to be exalted. There may be no movement in history that is as deeply ensconced in hero worship. Their heroes are talked about as if they were gods. I remember the worship attributed to Bob Gray before it was reported that he was a child molester. Guys like Jack Hyles were extraordinary braggarts. Scripture says, "Let another man boast of thee and not thine own self."

In this case, it seems to me that John sees himself as an awesome person coming from an awesome movement and I felt compelled to bring this back down to reality a bit and point out that many IFB folks are doing more harm than good.

That there are some good guys out there is without question. But many of us are turned off when we hear people boast within the ranks of IFB since we know what we know and have seen what we have seen.

This is a debate site- not a local church and it is ok to be divisive so long as you are dividing people over the right things (the virgin birth, the Great Commission, the import of proper hermeneutics, etc...) not STUPID things like standards that have no basis in the Bible, teetotalism, KJVO, etc...

There seems to be more bragging that battling, imo- more magnifying people than making points.

[/QUOTE]

I don't have time to look at this. Can you give me a brief synopsis?

I will say that I disagree with JP from time to time. I like him and really appreciate and respect him but find him to be a bit of a gusher at times and a little soft.

A good example of this would be his criticizing Douglas Wilson for his aggressive style.

Piper is no hippy, and he really is a hero of the faith but he is closer sometimes to hippy than I think he ought to be.

#23 Luke2427, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For some strange reason, this thread is now completely off topic and has become a thread about me. So I'll just bow out now. God bless all.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And I hate to keep turning the knife (or I hate that it is called for) but even this seems designed to show how humble and superior and above all of this you are.

Why not JUST bow out, rather than ANNOUNCING to everyone that you are going to do so??

Look, I think you have some very fine qualities, but this one is a problem and it is prevalent, imo, in the movement that you are a part of.

It is this "Look at me! Look at my moral superiority!" stuff.

God knows I've got my faults, too, but people don't hesitate to point mine out. It seems like you've learned to play the humble-card well enough to not have yours pointed out as often. But I think my pointing this out to you will help you be a better man.

Spurgeon said, "A man is not a good man if he doesn't think he ought to be a better man."

#25 Luke2427, Apr 14, 2013
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Pot, meet Kettle

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The operative word in this quote
    is accusation. And I was replying to a previous statement of yours. Which I quoted. Further, I was speaking to the theological education of some of Fundamental Baptist leaders. If that wasn't was what you were referring to in your quote I referenced, I'm sorry for getting of on the wrong foot.

#29 Squire Robertsson, Apr 14, 2013
  10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Was that statement intended to be a refutation of my comment or not?

I said nothing that indicated that there were NO educated people within the ranks of IFB.

I said the IFB movement is perceived by many to be LARGELY uneducated.

I did not say that I perceive it to be TOTALLY uneducated.

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

And with this, we have the Ironic Post of the Month Award winner.