1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Malachi 3:8

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The American Dream, May 30, 2015.

1. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its one of the oldest scams in the history of the Bible. Malachi 3:8 has been used, abused, lied about, and misrepresented by peddlers of the Word of God to extort and steal money from the people worshipping the Lord. It has been done by priests of old, ministers, pastors, evangelists, and TV charlatans, particularly TBN. "Will man rob God?" They have lied about the word man. These thieves make the everyday church member believe the word "man" is referring to them.

In fact, the word refers to the priests, pastors, and ministers. God is speaking to and about them. We see this clearly in Malachi 1:6-8, 2:1, 4, 7-8, and Malachi 3:3-5. The priests would take the blemished animals and sacrifice them to the Lord. Then, they would sell the best and keep the profits for themselves. Today pastors etc use this verse to get more money from the congregation or TV audience. At the same time, they neglect the poor, wage earners, widows, and those passing through. It is a practice that has not changed in centuries. Some fall for it every time. It does not even hold up to OT giving. The command in Deut 26:12-13 had a tithe every third year. The tithe was based on the "increase."

So this begs the question, if you are in an OT mindset, giving as a burden of 10%, what are you basing it on? Is it 10% of net, gross, savings after living expenses? If so, why are you not giving 10 % based on Social Security match, health and life premiums, retirement and vacation time? What is the standard? That's right, you have no idea.

So, what is the Christian NT standard. Well it is to give generously and cheerfully. If you cannot do that, keep your money. The bottom line is if you are being lead by the Holy Spirit, the burden is gone. You are a new creature in Christ. Examine yourself and listen to what He says. If you are doing that, you will find that giving will be much more than the outdated, tired, old concept of 10%. And for goodness sakes, if you hear another sermon based on Malachi 3:8 to get more money, have some earplugs handy. The Holy Spirit will let you know what to give, not the peddler at the podium or on the TV screen.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are a hard man TAD.

My opinion is that the tithe in the OT was instituted under the mosaic Law because the Levites did not get a share of the Promised Land. I do not believe the tithe is commanded in the New Covenant. However, I would say that if a Christian can give and give cheerfully then do so, whatever it is. But i am troubled when Churches use that money inappropriately, sometimes to tear down their old barns and build new ones, edifices to what?

I believe that the insistence on the tithe, and the guilt trip that is laid on people who can't tithe, is resulting in some Baptist churches becoming institutions for white middle class people. It is a fact that an awful lot of people have a hard time making it from paycheck to paycheck. Take 10% out of that check before or after taxes and they are hard up. I know. There were two periods in life of one of my daughters, a school teacher, where I had to manage her finances. At the end of the month there was nothing left.

The pastor of the first Baptist church I joined after being saved was big on tithing. I have heard him tell non-working wives whose husbands did not belong to the church that they should tithe the grocery money. I liked the man but that is frankly dishonest in my humble opinion. They had no income of their own. That grocery money was not theirs to give. But that is the extreme to which some will go. It smacks of the "seed faith" money you hear about from the WoF or "name it and claim it" crowd.

I will quit now cause it is past my bed time!

3. beameup

beameup Member

"The Tithe" belongs to Israelites.
    "Backsliding" belongs to Israel.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Rom 8:1

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Rom 8:4

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Gal 5:16

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone insists on a tithe, they'd better make sure they send it to an Israelite priest. One of the most liberating times in my walk was when God told me He didn't want me giving any money at all.

I am free from obligation, free to be a cheerful giver. Praise God

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You won't find many at the BB to resist this TAD.

HankD

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand it, the OT had two 10% offerings plus a 10% every three years, so the annual total was about 23%.

But under the new covenant, we are to pray and consider and give God what we are comfortable giving, even if it is a widows mite. Whatever the amount, it is between you and God, and no one else has a dog in the fight.