1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Male submission to women

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Gina B, Nov 4, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it? I think we are adding ideas to a word that do not belong to its definition. According to NT usage, submission is arranging oneself under another's authority. That may require humility but I do not believe it right to say that Christ "submitted" to us in His death on the cross.

Andy
    </font>[/QUOTE]All I know is what it says in Phil. 2:8, "Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

Then add that to what Jesus did in verses 3-7. Couple that with what it says in Eph. 5:21-33. If Christ is above all (which he truly is) then where does that put the rest of us? Look at the example of Jesus' love, submission, humility and leadership. We must look at the totality of Jesus not just a partial Jesus. The person of Jesus is inescapable.

2. aefting

aefting New Member

Right but where does the Bible teach that Jesus submitted to us? Submitted to the Father? Yes. Submitted to us? where?

I think this is an important distinction to make because (1) we need to use Biblical language precisely, and (2) the idea that men are to submit to their wives has caused confusion regarding the role for husband and wives that God teaches in His Word.

Andy

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Aside from his death on the cross? Jesus washes the feet of his friends (who are no longer follwers). This is an act of submission in regards to him now serving, rather than being served.

4. aefting

aefting New Member

How is that placing Himself under our authority? You may be thinking of the English word rather than the Greek word.

Andy

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

When one serves, there's an implication that the one being served has authority over the one serving. In Jesus' case, it was completely voluntary. This is the example we Christians need to follow. The concept is a bit more difficult for us to put into words, since the Greek and the English don't corespond exactly.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Johnv---out of all the smart things you've posted in your 11,000(and some odd) posts---this one has got to be the smartest(and I mean it with all my heart)

"Godly men need to stop whining about what they think qualifies as submission, and start taking seriously their role of loving and headship."

Amen, Brother!!

You get the loving right and the headship right---the submission part will follow suit!!!

7. aefting

aefting New Member

Yet, the disciples did not have authority over Jesus, nor was Jesus placing Himself under their authority. Jesus humbled Himself, to be sure, but He did not suspend His headship. There is a difference between serving and being under an obligation to obey.

It is significant, I think, that the Bible never uses "submit" in the direction that some today promote.

Andy

8. aefting

aefting New Member

That, unfortunately, is not always the case. Yes, it makes it easier but I have seen enough counter examples to know that submission will always be difficult for some women just as loving will always be difficult for some men.

Andy

9. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Spent 4 years in bible college and many many years studing the word and have seldom seen such a misrepresentaiton of the word!

10. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Actually alot of them do but in coming to grips with what the Bible says many women do not know what submit is either. It is a word that has no meaning or is nullified by scripture later.

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

"Mutual submission" is a myth that the liberals (like the CBF, BGCT, Alliance, and other worthless groups) have had to make up.

One interesting point worth noting is that none of the liberals in this thread have given one single text to prove their point.

Men are NEVER commanded to submit to their wife. NEVER.

Eph. 5:21 is the outline for what Paul is about to say. In other words:

Submit one to another:
    1. Wives, submit to your husbands.
    2. Children, submit to your parents.
    3. Slaves, submit to your masters.

If we were to follow the same idea of "mutual submission" in the other cases, you would also have to read it like this:

1. Husbands, submit to your wives.
    2. Parents, submit to your children.
    3. Masters, submit to your slaves.

Now, how comical is this? Too comical. Men need to man up and stop giving in to the attempts to be feminized and assume their God-given roles. Men who submit to their wives are cowards who shrink down from their responsibility.

Christ NEVER submitted to us. He did submit to the Father. It was the Father's command that Christ come and die.

What we see here (especially in the posts of Johnv and BB) is a misunderstanding of more than just love.

Note the order of 1 Cor. 11.

1. Wife submits to her husband.
    2. Man submits to Christ.
    3. Christ submits to the Father.

The roles are NEVER reversed.

1. The Father NEVER submits to Christ.
    2. Christ NEVER submits to man.
    3. The man NEVER submits to the wife.

If a husband voluntarily sets aside his authority in favor of the wishes of his wife, that is still a reflect of the fact that he has that authority.

Marriage is not co-leadership.

Egalitarians are just inept theologically. How can anyone feel anything but pity for their weak attempts at exegesis.

12. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

AAAAAMEN!

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Believers submitting to one another isn't a master/slave relationship. You're attempting to make it such when it's not.
    Doesn't the bible say that in the kingdom (body of believers) there is no male and female, no bond/free? We're ALL the same in God's eyes? How can we even have a NEED for leadership in a marriage if BOTH are submitted to God's will? Aren't two that walk with God agreed as one? Wouldn't the only time "authority" in a relationship would be needed be when one or the other is walking in the flesh? Should it matter which one it is, wouldn't the one who is not doing the wrong thing be spiritually obligated to submit to the one who is doing the right thing?

Not preaching or saying this is what I believe here, putting it out for thought.
    However, THIS is what I believe.
    Any man who cringes at the thought of a man submitting in the love of Christ to the will of his wife (or his friend, or the guy sitting next to him in church) and would call him a coward for doing so has some maturing and growing to do. True commitment and honest love does not cringe at the thought of complying with the one a person loves for fear of not being seen as the great big authoritative king of the domicile, it is seen as an opportunity and a pleasure.

14. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Do you believe in the institution of slavery? Should Lincoln never have issued the Emancipation Proclamation? Are black people inferior to white people? Should we still have separate drinking fountains and rest rooms?

But the declaration that wives must submit to their husbands is in the same passage of scripture. Do you believe part of the Bible (conveniently) but not all of it?

I believe that these statements MUST be interpreted in light of their cultural and historical context. Women are not inferior to men as much as you would like to believe so. God created us all equal in His eyes and Christ died to save us all, men and women. If you erroneously consider this to be liberal that's your problem. It's the gospel.

15. aefting

aefting New Member

The Bible teaches that the master/slave relationship is an example of how some believers must submit to others. “Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere hear, as you would Christ.” (Eph. 6:5, ESV)

We are all the same in our need for a savior and how God deals with our relationship to Him. The Bible does teach that hierarchal relationships within the body of Christ are right and good. Eph. 5:21-6:9 is just one example of such teaching.

Because God says there is a need. It matters which one it is because God teaches us that the husband has that position, not the wife. It is unlikely that the person “doing the wrong thing” will submit whether they ought to or not.

I’m afraid I have seen guys not take stands in the home regarding a whole host of important spiritual matters because it was against the will of their wives. Sometimes the man is a coward. Sometimes he is not spiritually mature enough to know when he ought to assume his headship in the home. Things simply will not work right in the home when the man gives the headship of the home to his wife. Nor will things work right if he fails to love his wife properly.

Andy

16. aefting

aefting New Member

I think it is a mistake to limit our discussion of slavery in the Bible to the abominable practice of slavery that occured in our country's history. Criminals in jail today are basically slaves. Do you believe in the slaverly of the American penal system? How should an inmate act towards a corrections officer? Should he not obey?

Andy

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I think male submission to women is:
    Talking with them gently and kindly.
    Dealing with them gently and kindly.
    Loving them. Always. No matter what.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Saggy, that sounds like respect and not submission. Respect has to be earned.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My own 4 years in Bible college and many years studing the word would disagree with you.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I went to a Baptist Women's college and the teaching I had then and in my 54 years of life.... agrees with Timtoolman.

My husband spent four years at Ottawa Baptist University in Ks. and we both took courses at Moody too. Jim agrees with Timtoolman also.

Diane