1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mall of America

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by LarryN, Sep 19, 2003.

1. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Here's a total fluff question:

I live about 5 minutes from the Mall of America. Has anyone been there, and if so, what did you think of it?

http://www.mallofamerica.com

2. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Yes, I have been there three times. It's so big that you spend most of your time just walking thru it. It was a great time out to see something like it. The thing that stands out the most about it in my mind is the Lego display. Kids loved it.

But to be honest, I think the mall in Edmonton, Alberta is far superior to Mall America. I was fascinated with the submarine ride and the indoor surf.

3. micahaaron

micahaaron New Member

I've been there numerous of times. Lived in Minnesota for over 25 years before moving to Texas.

Stop going when they lost the Italian Ice Cream store and the Great Train Store.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey I taught college in Owatonna, 45 miles south of the Mall of America. Kids ALWAYS wanted to go up there and do loops.

Loops around the mall and in Camp Snoopy amusement park!

BTW, agree 100% about West Edmonton Mall. It is more fun, more activity - I went body surfing in the pool AND saw the Canadian navy.

It is poorly laid out - not a nice circle like MOA. But guess MOA is now working on a huge planned addition that will cause IT to wander like Edmonton.

5. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Dr. Bob mentions the addition to MOA:

Construction has begun on Phase II of the mall, just across the street on the north side of the existing mall. For anybody who remembers the Minnesota North Stars (hockey team), it's the former site of the old Met Center where they used to play.

Phase II will have IKEA (330,000 sq. ft. store) as one its anchor tenants, and could total 5.6 million sq. ft. when finished. this could include 3 new hotels, a 5,000 seat amphitheatre for concerts & the like, residential units, some office space, and of course much additional retail. A large, retail lined 2-floor bridge would connect the two phases.

Since the current mall is 4.2 million sq. ft., the up to 5.6 million sq. ft. expansion could more than double the size of the mall.

6. TheOliveBranch

Great idea to have hotels in the mall. You'd need to spend a few days there just to walk through the whole thing.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in 93 I spend a week in the Valley Forge/Gettysburg area (for reenactment). Spent part of a day at the KING OF PRUSSIA mall, in Valley Forge (suburb of Philadelphia).

Know that Swaimy lives in Lansdale (nearby) but wonder what others think comparing the MOA with KOP mall?

8. TheOliveBranch

Never heard of this mall. Philly is at my back door. Maybe I'll search it out if it's worth the effort.

9. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the "Court and the Plaza at King of Prussia", out where 202 meets I-76 and the PA turnpike. Not very far from ABCUSA headquarters, I might add.

Anyway, I sadly have to report that I once SAW Mall of America, but couldn't go in. I was on a one-day business trip with another woman and our bosses (men). We flew out in the early morning from Philadelphia, had a meeting with Wells Fargo Home Loans, had lunch, and headed back to the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport and home again. The other woman and I begged to cross the street and go in and look around just to say we were there, but the guys said no, or we would get back home way too late. :( So I always say, "Well, I SAW it once..."