1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mandatory HPV vaccination in Texas

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Lacy Evans, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

2. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you. I am concerned that this vaccine will make girls think that fornication is okay since they are protected from the HPV.
    Faithgirl

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Are you serious? Do you really believe that preteen and teenage girls currently think fornication is not okay because of genital warts?

Married women can get HPV, too. Do you think it's worth risking their getting and possibly dying from cervical cancer just to put the fear of sex into them as girls?

Perhaps the vaccine would be a suitable wedding present to virginal brides. If we prevented the cancer in them and only them, do you think more girls would wait?

#3 Daisy, Feb 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Are you serious?

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Hey there Tex!

It is a sad day in America . . . all them foreigners coming down to Texas and causin' the ruination of our kids . . .

It is a shame.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Those are serious questions, yes.

Well, except the last one, which was making a serious point, but sarcastically.

7. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes I am. I believe that girls are more pomiscuis these days tthan they were when I was in school
    Faithgirl

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Do you think the ones who are not promiscuous now would be if they got a vaccine which would prevent cancer 20 years down the line?

Do you think the ones who are promiscuous now should be punished with cancer 20 years later?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that it should be mandatory, but does anyone seriously want people to die of cancer when a vaccine is available just because one does not agree with that person's actions?

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

We agree, Ken.

Provided there is something we don't know about this vaccine, it would not be wise IMO to refuse it.

But when I'm in doubt, I tend to err on the side of personal freedom.

11. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

How about the Devil's Advocate......How about some of you strong Christian young ladies standing up and shouting, "Its my body and I have the right to say what goes into my body!" It would be just like the pagans who say they have the right to say what is flushed out of their body.

Bartimaeus

Oh yeah, you better be willing to pay the price...."no man buildeth a house unless he counteth the cost first".

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The key is, if something isn't done to force people to take it, market forces will drive down the cost of the vaccine, something the drug company wants to avoid at all costs.

Since they paid a lot of money to Gov. Perry, one might think that there was some quid pro quo going down.

Especially since Perry has a previous history...

Still, it's probably a good thing. It's just annoying that Gov. Froot Loop is helping keep the price artificially high.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

(from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/ap_on_he_me/cervical_cancer)

And from http://www.ecanadanow.com/science/h...erous-and-expensive-as-a-mandatory-treatment/

I think something that can prevent a cancer that affects so many can be good - who's to know that my daughters will not marry someone who had a past before he was saved or something? BUT, I don't trust the drug companies and I think that this is too new a vaccine to trust it. I won't let my daughters get it yet and if it's mandatory, I'll refuse it.

14. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I'm not anti-vaccine per-say. (Well maybe just a little bit.) But to force my daughter to inject an untested, unproven substance into her body aggrivates me to no end. Does it work? what's the trade off? Will she develop something even more dreadful years down the line?

It's big business forcing it's way into my life. Did you catch how expensive the vaccine is? Quite the coup for Mr. Perry. I'll never vote for the man. Where is Kinky when you need him?

This is not a contageous disease like small pox. It is an STD. Why stop with HPV. Lets force our girls to be vaccinated against all of them and while we're at it, let's refuse to let them into our schools without carrying condoms in their little 5th and 6th grade backpacks. They're all just a bunch of sexually excited little animals, right?

Lacy

15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not for mandating the vaccine myself. Especially not for junior high girls. I think high school girls should be encouraged, not mandated, and not because we think they are all sexually active, but because there are forces beyond their control.....i.e. marrying a man who has HPV.....

The article said that the parents could opt out for their daughters being vaccinated by objecting because of religious beliefs or beliefs of conscience. The other article in the other thread said that the parents could opt out because of religious beliefs or philosophical beliefs. No one is being forced to get the vaccine. But nonetheless, I still feel that mandating it is not the answer.

This isn't about sex. It isn't about promiscuity. It's about cancer.

Cervical cancer in women that comes from sex. It can be fornication, rape, or adultery. Or it can two christian married people who are faithful to each other, but unfortunately the husband had contracted it in the past. Or it can be a married women who assumes her husband is faithful, but is not. There are many scenarios that could lead to this and not all are immoral on the part of the woman.

I can't help but be discouraged when I read where christians believe that this is going to make little girls promiscuous.

It isn't going to protect them from getting pregnant, from HIV, from AIDS, from bad reputations, from herpes, or from anything except cervical cancer.

Why anyone would think that young women would view this vaccine as a free ride to endless and consequence-free sex, I don't understand. It isn't and they don't think that.

In fact, over the last few years, in discussing HPV and cervical cancer along with other STD's and other physical/social consequences of rampant sex, the fact that you can get cancer, and a silent killer form at that, from having sex scares teenage girls to death.

They are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Especially when they have proper information about their bodies, a healthy fear of the consequences of pre-marital sex, and a healthy respect for a moral nature.

Today, in 2007, promiscuity in teenagers can come from poor self-esteem, effects of physical/sexual abuse, complete ignorance of their bodies and of medical information, and a "let's stick our heads in the sand" attitude from parents and churches.

When there are open dialogues between young children and teens and their parents, their spiritual advisors, the church and some of the teachers, that's the key to them having a healthy attitude towards themselves and towards a moral nature.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Gotta love it . . .

I woulda thought that folks for something would understand what 'it' is.

17. patrioticcamerican

Does everyone who thinks the vaccine might be okay realize that it contains live cancer viruses with manipulated DNA? And we're thinking of injecting this into kids? I agree with those who say we don't know what kind of an effect this will have on the girls. Past track records for other vaccines have not been as glorious as they have seemed. BTW, no vaccine is ever really mandatory. They just want you to think it is. But no one can actually force you to take one, because there is a risk to them of your filing a lawsuit if something goes wrong. So, my advice would be to always seek a waiver. Religious reasons basically has been extended to mean anything held as strongly as a religious belief. Don't risk your girls' health. Stay away from this vaccine.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One problem that I've heard about getting a waiver for a vaccine - in some places, you have to opt out of ALL vaccines for this to be valid - you can't pick and choose. I know people who choose not to do the varicella (chicken pox) but the schools have forced the parents to get the vaccine in order for the child to attend school. Also, there ARE states where you cannot opt out of vaccines at all if your kids go to public school - West Virginia is one of them.

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

If it is so safe . . . then grown women should be leading the way and taking the shot to show the younger women just how save it is . . .

And since that would greatly slow down the transmission of the disease - everyone would be safer.

mmm ... gotta wonder why the target is girls instead of women.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Because girls are unlikely to have been exposed to the viruses, whereas sexually active women probably already have been.