1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Manners

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Aug 4, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

What happened to them?

When did it become "okay" to call someone bad names? In another thread someone said that calling someone a troll was using properly terminology - NONSENSE! UTTER Nonsense!

When did it become "fine" to be rude?

When did it become "okay" to be insulting?

When did Christians decide that "because the rest of the world/internet" behaves badly it is find for Christians to do so?

2. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good Question, Texas Sky. I think manners became "square" and "outdated" in the 70's, possibly the 60's. I remember the Drug craze and the other stuff that went along with it in the 60's. It seemed that Manners became "old fashioned" about that time. I also think that ties in with prayer in school being banned by THe UNited States Supreme Court. JMO
    Faithgirl46

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

If you're going to talk about me like this, go ahead and say my name.

Ordinarily we would say that calling someone else a hypocrit is inappropriate. However, if someone really is being a hypocrit, then it might be appropriate. Otherwise Jesus would have been out of line, and then Paul as well when he was correcting Peter's behavior.

I personally try not to call a spade a spade just because comments like this come up. Instead I call it a bladed gardening implement designed for digging holes. :D

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree Texas. So far on this board I have been called an heretic, apostate, Bible corector, false teacher, foolish, a spiter in the face of God, immature, lacking spirituality, and one who seeks to fulfill the lust of the flesh.

I know that I am a sinner saved by the sovereign grace of God, but I did not know I was all of the above!

It is possible to disagree in a friendly sort of way.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Petrel,

I have been webbing since the World Wide Web was still being called "Mosaic" and the only "chat rooms" looked more like DOS programs than chats.

"Troll" is not an acceptable name to call someone. It is not the "correct" name to call someone. It is not the "polite" name to call someone. It also is not "clearly" defined as some people think "trolling" means "searching for sex" or "searching for victims to con" and some think it means "eager to fight."

I don't care how many children say it is - and no, I'm not calling you a child - I am stating the simple fact that internet jargon is made up by teenagers, not adults.

I was not talking about you alone - ergo - I did not mention your name. But do I believe that your behavior shows a lack of grace and manners? Yes.

Obviously the problem is rampant - as other posts in this thread show.

It seems to be worse on this board though - than on the secular discussion boards I visit.

6. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

I don't know when it all started, but manners must be practiced by parents and taught to our children. We constantly remind our children to respect others and say "Thank You", "Your Welcome", "Yes Sir", "Yes Mam", open doors for others, etc. They slip up occasionally, but they are learning as they grow up.

The bar on manners has definitely been lowered; people will often be surprised by the politeness of my children. That's a nice compliment to receive, but we should be in a culture where politeness is normal and not a surprise.

Finally, too many professing Christians are rude because they refuse to let go of their pride, arrogance, and jealously; sanctification is not occurring in their lives.

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

That's your perogative. I prefer not to share my opinions of others.

At least we agree there! :eek:

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I will close this thread----bring it to the attention of the other moderators---before allowing it to be reopened.

Bro. David