1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Manse next to Church?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "driving distance" question got me thinking -- we've talked about living in parsonage/manse v owning your own home.

But wonder if those who HAVE lived in manse have been next door to the church, down the block, or far away.

Pro/con/neutral

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Next door about 100 yards away across an open space where one day our new multipurpose building will stand, God willing.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We lived in a parsonage for 6+ years 1 1/2 blocks from the church. In Wisconsin winter, that was a LONG COLD walk!

Then in another church further north we were next door to the church/school for 7 years. The playground of the school was home to my kids. And I could run back and forth with ease.

One morning it was -55F. I walked over to the church early, to turn on lights, and pray in each pew (my practice was to walk and pray and talk through my sermon walking up and down rows). Walked in and thought the furnace had quit.

It was running full blast but couldn't bring the temp up to 55F in the auditorium. I called a deacon (farmer) and he said NOBODY would be coming to church and then told me how cold it was. I called the wife and told her not to come over - you could hurt your lungs just breathing in that intense cold.

BTW, one old couple with a heated garage, came to church. We invited them next door for cocoa and explained how cold it was. They thought it was odd to drive and hear the snow crunching under the tires and NO ONE out driving!

If you have to have a parsonage, have it next door!

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

I've lived in the church parsonage next door to the church, and now we are living in our own house which we are buying. It's convenient being next door in a parsonage, but it depends upon the congregation. Some respect your living quarters and others think that because the church owns the house, they can drop in at any time for any purpose. We had a good situation with the congregation respecting our privacy.

Obviously, the advantage of owning your house is the building of equity.

Bill

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sometimes living next door to the church is not the best idea, people constantly knocking at the door asking for keys can drive you around the bend!!!

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We live right across the street from the church. Actually, I dont think its that bad. A few people do drive by and look sometimes, but mostly when folks drive by,they will stop and chat a minute. We have no neighbors, and I really dont like that so much, but its really OK.
    Living here is convenient, though. If someone needs something, I can always run home and see if I have one. When we have diaper disasters, its really nice to be able to run home. I can also run over to the church late at night when the kids are in bed and I need to get some stuff done for church.
    I think DH likes it b/c he has a library here and a library there, and he can just run over there when he needs a book or peace and quiet.
    If we didnt have a parsonage, we couldnt afford to be here.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best one that I have lived in was 5 blocks from the church. Just close enough to be handy when I forgot something and yet far enough away that when I went home, I didn't have the shadow of the church hanging over me reminding me of something that needed to be done. Where I am now we share a big back yard with the church. We face opposite directions, so if you didn't know it was the parsonage we would just blend into the rest of the neighborhood.

8. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Have pastored 4 churches in past 30 + years. Lived in parsonages up until 9+ years ago when I bought a house. Of the three parsonages, only one was on the same property as the church building. Never minded living in a parsonage. It was handy. However, it was not very smart in terms of finances. All three churches with parsonages could have easily sold them and given me an allowance for housing. As it stands now, I will be 62 before I get my house paid for. But, I must say I praise the Lord for it all. It's been a good journey.

9. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Live in a parsonage across town right now, but we are thinking of building one on the church property in a few years. It will face a different street than the church, so those who don't know who lives there will not be tempted to interupt dinner.