1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Manuscripts and Matthew 1:25

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Apr 25, 2003.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 1:25, KJV: "And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son..."
    Matthew 1:25, NAS: "but kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a Son..."

IN a now closed thread, Nimrod brought up the textual evidence (or lack thereof) for the presence or absence of firstborn [prototokos] in Matthew 1:25. Nimrod posted, quoting UnHoly Hands on the Bible Volume II:
    To which kman countered:
    I wanted to bring this back up since the format on which this was being discussed was closed due to the fact that a non-Baptist (Nimrod) violated the board rules by posting in a Baptist Only section of the board. I would respectfully request that the Baptist Only format of this forum be followed on this thread. Thanks.

I am not asking so much about what you think is correct or incorrect concerning "prototokos," but rather asking for further evidence of which manuscripts support the NASB reading - Aleph & B only, or these and several others?

2. kman

kman New Member

In addition to Aleph and B you have the following witnesses. Aleph & B would be considered the most weighty witnesses, I would think (which is perhaps what was meant in the article).

===
    This is directly from my UBS 3rd edition regarding the reading:

Greek: Aleph, B, 071(vid), f1, f13, 33

Versions: Old Latin (b,c,g1,k), syriac curetonian, palestinain in mss, (cop sa bo), georgian

Early Church Father: Ambrose

The NA 27th edition has:

Greek: Aleph, B, Z(vid), 071(vid), f1, f13, 33

Verions: Old Latin, Mae (middle Egyptian), coptic (sa bo), syriac sinaitic, syriac curetonian

Notes:

f1 = family 1 = 1, 118, 131, 209

f13 = family 13 = 13, 69, 124, 174, 230, 346, 543
    788, 826, 828, 983, 1689

vid == videtur -> witness is probably but not certain (manuscript smudged..etc)

-kman

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good deal of weight, I would say. Thanks for sharing the information. If you eliminate the Byzantine family edition that added "firstborn" (and the hundreds of copies of copies of copies), the meaning comes clear.

I find it troubling to keep seeing the ADDITIONS to the Greek by well-meaning copyists and monks that try to (in their minds) enhance the issues of the deity of Christ - the biggest controversy in Christianity AD200-1000