1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Many errors in the Bible

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by grahame, Jan 12, 2007.

1. grahame

grahame New Member

"It has been proved that there are many errors and discrepancies in the Bible". So said one Muslim to me today.
    Now of course I can answer him. But what is the best way to handle this statement. I find that God has been leading me and giving me answers for these people. But I still find that I have to cast myself into the arms of the almighty and trust only Him to enlighten these people who have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. I feel that I must continually pray that God will open their eyes to the truth.
    But this does not release us from the responsibility to give them an answer of the hope which is in us. So how would you answer this person? As I said, I can answer him, but not in any concise way. I am careful not to speak against the Quran or Muhammed. If I do this I would lose their respect. But most of the stuff they say about the Bible is always second hand. They never seem to check up on the information they read from well known Muslim writers.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You handle this the way that you eat an elephant.....one bite at a time.

Ask them to share a specific "error" with you....just one at a time....and go from there. Have your bible ready to show them the truth.

My prayers are that God will use you.

3. grahame

grahame New Member

Thank you. I like the "one bite at a time" approach. I have found that most times they have absolutely no knowledge of these things themselves. Only those things that they parrot from Muslim critics of Christianity. This is usually an advantage for me because they only read those scriptures that they think support the Quran or prophesy about Muhammed. One of the texts this man quoted was from Deuteronomy 18:18
    My reply to that was that this is a reference to Christ and I showed him the reference in Acts 3:22.
    They contend that the brethren of the Israelites were the Ishmaelites. To which I pointed out that verse 18 was a reiteration of verse 15 and that the brethren of the Israelites were the Israelites. For Israel was the name that God gave to Jacob. Also Ishmael was not the brother of Jacob, but the half brother of Isaac. Jacob's brother was Esau. I also challenged him to show exactly where this verse applied to Muhammed. But I did emphasise strongly that the New Testament writer understood that this was a reference to the coming Messaiah.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are errors in translations, but not in the Word. I.e.- Red Sea, – sea of reeds, etc there are also terms taken as errors that live on in tradition, i.e.- Lucifer as a proper name for Satan, etc.

I think that it is important to acknowledge these “errors”, but work through the Word with the individual. Utilize the Bible and the Koran. It is God that can convert, but you can take a vital role in leading them to the Word. I’d suggest providing them with a Bible to research for themselves as well.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I go with Scarlett's "one bite at a time" strategy. It has often worked before.

I remember hearing Evangelist Bill Rice tell about being in a restaurant with his Bible sitting on the table. An atheist at the next table said, "That book is full of mistakes." Bill, never the shy one, handed him the Bible and said, "Show me one." One atheist squelched! The man didn't get saved, but at least no one else in the restaurant was misled. :jesus:

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I am careful not to speak against the Quran or Muhammed. If I do this I would lose their respect."

You might suggest that they use the same standard as you :smilewinkgrin:

They need Christ, not proof necessarily. Give them the proofs, but be sure you feed them a steady diet of the gospel, that is what they can respond to :thumbs:

7. grahame

grahame New Member

Yes I do that. I insist that if I hold to that rule then so should they. The majority of them do and the administrators and other moderators defend me and even ok'd me to use the Bible and quote from it as being my right in that forum. But I still refuse to critisise Muhammed or the Quran. When some of them keep saying that the Bible is full of mistakes and errors and that they will not honour Christ, I am able to remind them that they owe me respect by not speaking against those scriptures that I consider to be God's word and are therefore holy to me. One or two have even said things like, "Do not blaspheme Muhammed if you want us to repect the Bible". So I challenge them to show me where I have done so. Of course they can find nothing where they can accuse me of such things and I want to keep it that way. But it is becoming very difficult to answer from the Bible where the Quran contradicts it, which is almost everywhere.
    I have to keep praying that the Lord will show me ways of saying things which are challenging, yet respectful towards the Quran. I must remember His promise, "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
    I will try the bit by bit approach and if I get into difficulties I will publish their questions here if I may? There seems to be some knowledgable folk here. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If nothing else remember the Squire's interpertation of Our Lord's admonishment
    You can be sneaky, just don't cheat.

9. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy, funny to hear as I've been listening to a standard of speaking against Christ on a regular bases from a Muslim and just got finished doing a dance on old Mohammed and the Quran in light of this statement among many others...

"I bear witness that there's no God worthy of worship besides Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammad is his messenger" and if you want to add as a christian, and Jesus is his messenger,..."

Obviously it is a lie that a true Christian would give allegiance to this pagan god and his false prophet, and to say that as a christian you can add this little bit... :mad: ...well... this guys been dissing the Bible, the cross, Deity,...he certainly got a taste of his own medicine tonight...oh well...he wasn't giving any respect, but he did get the gospel along with the truth about his paganism.

I won't tell you what I said, :eek: :saint:

Edit: but I will admit it wouldn't be compared to a dove.

#9 Benjamin, Jan 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
  10. grahame

grahame New Member

Isn't it strange that so many Christians I know are as harmless as serpents and as wise as doves. :laugh:
    I try to remember the words of James (James 3:13) "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom."

11. grahame

grahame New Member

I find a couple of them obnoxious, I must admit and they get my goat sometimes and I must admit also that I do not answer this kind of person in a kind and understanding way. I have even rebuked them.
    As on one occasion I recall, one said, "I cannot think of anything so rediculous as God subjecting His son to torture and death and that this torture and death can somehow pay for the sins of the world". I admit on that occasion I told them that they were sailing pretty close to blasphemy. I think I also reminded them that Muslims also believe that Abraham offered up his own son as a burnt offering to God, as God commanded him. Did he consider it a rediculous thing? I think this person deleted his post.

#11 grahame, Jan 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007