1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marco Estrada Illegal Pitch Delivery

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by InTheLight, Oct 12, 2015.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was watching the Blue Jays vs. Rangers last night and noticed that Jays pitcher Marco Estrada seemingly throws an illegal pitch every time he throws a pitch without a runner on base. Estrada starts in the windup position--both feet on the rubber toes pointed towards home plate, glove being held in front of his chest, pitching hand holding ball inside glove. But then, without taking his foot off the rubber, he shifts and goes into the set position--pivot foot touching the rubber, other foot in front of the rubber, arms hanging at side, then arms come together with ball held near chest--and delivers the pitch. In other words, he starts in the windup position and he shifts to the set position, and this is crucial--without removing his pivot foot from the rubber. This is an illegal pitch because it is an attempt at deception by the pitcher. It's not a balk because no runner is on base.

The rule, 5.07.8.01(a) and (b) is quite clear:

The Windup Position
    The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his pivot foot in con-
    tact with the pitcher’s plate and the other foot free. From this
    position any natural movement associated with his delivery of
    the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interruption

or alteration. He shall not raise either foot from the
    ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter,
    he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.

The Set Position
    Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands
    facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his
    other foot in front of, the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in
    both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop.

Preparatory to coming to a set position, the pitcher shall have
    one hand on his side; from this position he shall go to his set
    position.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

sour grapes. :)

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not at all. I would prefer Toronto get in the ALCS over Texas. I just noticed that this pitcher's delivery, according to the rules in the rulebook, and according to several occurrences I've personally experienced, it is an illegal pitch.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Well, I never heard any commentators mention anything about it. No one else seemed to observe it.

Anyway, the Jays go on to win the ALDS and advance to the AlCS, amidst much controversy.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's several rules the umps don't enforce. I'm guessing they don't bother with this one because the batters don't say anything and there's no one on base.

Another rule that is violated by probably 33% of pitchers is applying a foreign substance on the ball. Many pitchers put rosin or rosin/pine tar on the bill of their caps and pull a little bit off onto their finger tips, in between pitches. This gives them a better grip on the ball which gives their curve ball more bite.

The controversy didn't aid the Jays in winning, though. People need to read the rulebook. The runner is entitled to attempt to score on that play. It's another umpire judgment call, as to player intent, the worst kind of call. The catcher was being too nonchalant with his throw back to the pitcher.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I can't comment much on the rules concerning pitching. They commented on the different styles of each pitcher and how they were all different, and that was about it. Other than that I am not so knowledgeable about the rules as those rules as you may be.

It was a day to remember. I suppose technically he was safe. It angered or fired up the Jays enough to be determined to make a come-back. And so they did, in rather dramatic way.
    A 53 minute inning. 2 bench clearings, 3 errors by the Rangers, a 3-run home run by Bautista, a reckless bat-flip by Bautista, some questionable calls: it had it all. It was very entertaining.

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I guess that run scored by the Rangers on the freaky play would fire up the Blue Jays.

Speaking of bench clearings, the Jays and the Royals have had a couple of those between them this year. The ALCS could get heated.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Estrada is starting Game 1 of the ALCS tonight, 8:07 EDT. Tune in and watch his illegal delivery.