1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marijuana

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Mississippi John, Apr 29, 2010.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I've read the article. Our brain (and other parts of our body) have Cannabinoid receptors, because (get this now!) our body produces endocannabinoids which activates those receptors. It's a pretty large jump for you to ignore the endocannabinoids that our bodies naturally produce and assume that Cannabinoid receptors were made to only be activated by something external (cannabis).

2. Mississippi John

Get this ! What if the receptors respond to BOTH internal AND external stimuli ?

3. matt wade

Get this...my car responds to both the engine (internal) and another car smashing into it (external). It was meant to only respond to the internal force.

What's your point? Our body responds in varying ways to many external stimuli. Does that fact alone mean that we are to utilize every external stimuli available?

4. Mississippi John

I see one one light, and you another, brother.

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you see so clearly is not light. I work with drug addicts. They all tell me the same thing in a hundred different ways: they are trying to mask pain. For some of them it is a genuine physical pain. They feel their doctors haven't done enough so they self-medicate. Some have emotional pain where the wounds run so deep they believe nothing can help. They self-medicate.

At first their drug of choice works. They ingest it, smoke it, snort it or shoot it until they feel nothing. It works for a while: weed 5-6 hours; oxies 10-12; alcohol - until you wake up..... After a while that $10 bag doesn't seem to work like it used to. $10 becomes twenty. One joint becomes two. The human body is an amazing creature. Some of those 300 billion neuron receptors in the brain are getting block by artificial neurotransmitters while others are being damaged. The user is developing tolerance. Worse the body starts to recognize the invaders and accept them as belonging to the delicate balance of brain chemistry.

You decide to skip a day and don't smoke. Your brain yells, Hey John! Where's my THC? Nobody wants a screaming brain so you feed the monster..... for a while. Tolerance, cravings, addiction.

You just keep trying to convince yourself that smoking "natural" weed is God's gift to your brain. You have been deceived by the prince of this world.

6. Mississippi John

So weed is addictive now ?

Oxy's, alcohol, cig's are in a whole different class my friend.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No not now....it has always been addictive.

8. matt wade

I've been addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, cocaine, and, yes, marijuana. Each were differing levels of addition and different types of addiction. Cigarettes were by far the worst of them all, followed by cocaine, alcohol, and then marijuana. Marijuana does not have quite the same withdrawal that the others do, but there is definitely a psychological addition there and a general feeling of not feeling well when you abstain for periods of time.

9. Mississippi John

No physical addiction for marijuana ?

10. Mississippi John

Wrong Rev.

11. matt wade

Does it have to be physical to be an addiction?

12. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Stopping smoking was one of the hardest things I ever did.

Why is this even being discussed? It's like arguing that driving drunk should be acceptable.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

Physical addiction is the only kind that should be considered. Addiction to caffeine, for example. I worked a 4AM-noon shift for a couple of years and would drink at least a dozen cups of coffee every day. I quit drinking coffee and had withdrawal systems. I am psychologically addicted to ice cream but have no physical symptoms if I don't have any.

14. matt wade

Why should only physical addiction be considered? Are psychological additions any less damaging?

BTW, psychological additions can cause physicals symptoms during withdrawal.

There's no physical addition to LSD, will you argue that LSD is healthy for us to take as well?

15. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Completely false. Ever visited a detox? What about visiting the patients after they've been through detox? The psychological far outlasts the physical effects of addiction.

16. Mississippi John

LSD is not healthy. But, as you pointed out, it is not addictive.

17. Mississippi John

Smart post ! Thanks Bill !

18. matt wade

Please expound. Why should only physical additions be considered? Do you attempt to claim that psychological additions are not real and debilitating?

19. Mississippi John

You wouldn't understand.

20. matt wade

Why would I not understand? Given the fact that I was addicted to marijuana and as such I am very familiar with its effects and the withdrawal from it, I think I'm in a pretty good place to understand. Why don't you try me?