1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marilyn Manson

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Pete

Pete New Member

Maybe because he is touring Mike. I think he is due here in Newcastle shortly...Not my fault, I didn't invite him [​IMG]

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Yeah, but when someone is touring, that's usually when you hear the most out of them.

Speaking of which, Buffett's starting his west coast tour with some good news - he's been nominated for a CMA Award for his duet with Alan Jackson, "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere".

As unbelievable as it may seem, this is only the second nomination among the major music awards he's ever recieved in a 30 year career.

Sorry, just had to throw that in.

3. DjXtreme

DjXtreme New Member

this is the way i feel about it, and the way the bible teaches us.

a sin - is a sin

drinking margaritas until you are drunk is a sin.

having a fetus in you coffee table . . .

i think you can figure out is a sin.

buffet, manson, kiss, nin, willie, the stones . . . the list goes on and on. we all know that each of these groups or people are known for something off the wall that our bible teaches us is wrong.

the true answer is, prayer. if you do not feel bad for listening to the worldly junk then you may need to examine yourself.

Christ told us to be separate, not to join in when we felt like it.

4. cash1611

cash1611 New Member

Slit our wrists and take us to Heaven (manson)

An update I have pit tickets to see Mr. Manson here in Los Angeles in October. Anyone wanna come with me?

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Can't. I'm going to Meeting of the Minds in Key West...WOO HOO!

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

There are some here who would say the same to you for the music you listen to.

7. DjXtreme

DjXtreme New Member

No one knows what music or style that I do listen to. So for them to judge and not know me is wrong according to the bible.

Even though you may think that Manson is ok, look at what he supports.
    If you can find one thing that he does supports that contradicts the bible then you are also the same as him (Manson). Every time you go to his website, concerts, buy an album then you are supporting him and everything that he stands for.

I’m not trying to put you down or anyone else for that matter that listens to music that I may not like or feel is wrong.
    You will know by the fruit they produce. I try to love everyone that I come in contact with I am human and I do fail but I pray to God that he forgives me and strengthens me to become more stable in my walk with Him.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

In another thread you said,

You also said in another thread that you were a drummer.

Both of these things are condemned by some here.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I can't stand his music and I think he's an idiot.

Huh?

Not necessarily. As we speak, I'm listening to Steve Earle. I can't think of a thing about him that I support. I just like appreciate music (when he's not using it to advance some dopey political hysteria).

And I wasn't trying to put you down. I was just saying that you need to remember that some things are relative.

Such as when you say,
    There are people who will say, "How can you listen to that worldly 'Skillet' music" or "How can you play the drums? Don't you know that they use drums in Africa to summon demons?"

9. DjXtreme

DjXtreme New Member

and my response to you would be...

Sorry :(
    i never said that you was the one that listened to him (manson)

God gave me the talent to you for Him and only Him.

i have not received anything from anyone else for proclaiming to be a drummer here nor anywhere else for that matter.

you have been the only one that has gave me a hard time about responding to something that i feel strongly against. And reading from the word that stands against the way these others (Manson) act and are.

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

You were responding to my post and you said "you" so I'm sure you can understand how that would give the impression that you were referring to me.

:confused:

I didn't say they had. I said that there are people here who would have a problem with this.

What? I haven't given you a hard time about anything.

:confused:

11. DjXtreme

DjXtreme New Member

you know, nevermind.

i never realized that if we are both Christians the we can't see what each other is trying to say.

God gave me the talent to play drums for HIM and only HIM. i only play drums for HIM (God). He gave me the talent and He can take the talent away. for 16 years i have only played christian songs for my Lord and Savior. the reason that i know that I play for Christ is because he has blessed me beyond belief.

so.

to make amends to all that was said before...
    i'm sorry that i aparently confused you with what i write or respond to.
    i was responding because it seemed as though you were standing with the crowd that likes the worldy music. i too do not like certain music styles but i do not condone the ones that do. rap for instance isn't my cup of tea, but for others they may enjoy listening to it.

i am a sound technician at my church, i am also a Christian DJ. i have been involved in music for as long as i can remember. i listen to a very wide range of music. some i like some i dislike.
    i have never said i disliked the person that likes that type or style of music.

plus here is ONE for You Mike McK, what is the difference between Manson and Buffet since you are a parrothead?

i think there is a spot in the bible were it says that Jesus laid on the beach with a margarita in one hand and a corona in the other.
    :rolleyes:

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

It wasn't what you said that confused me, it was how you said it.

I try never to criticize people's grammar on message boards because I type so fast that I do some of the same things, so please forgive me, but some of the things you said were just hard to follow because of the grammar.

Not sure how you define "worldly" (I noticed you're new here so you'll find that how one defines "worldly" and "sensual" is an ongoing debate) but I do like mainstream music.

I honestly don't even know where to start detailing the differences. If you have to ask, I assume you haven't heard either one of them.

One is a talented songwriter. The other is a crossdressing knucklehead.

One, you can understand the words and even sing along. The other, who knows what he's singing about.

Let's put it this way: This is how allmusicguide describes Buffett's music - "Irreverent, Humorous, Fun, Rousing, Happy, Laid-Back/Mellow, Amiable/Good-Natured, Party/Celebratory, Wry"

This is how it describes Manson's: "Harsh, Menacing, Confrontational, Ominous, Paranoid, Nihilistic, Malevolent, Aggressive, Tense/Anxious, Theatrical, Eerie, Cynical/Sarcastic, Cathartic, Angst-Ridden, Bitter, Bleak, Angry, Hostile"

I missed that verse but we know He drank wine and we know He spent quite a bit of time along the Sea of Galiliee. I don't believe that they had tequila or limes so I'm not sure about the margarita, but the Egyptians had invented beer by that point, so it's not impossible.

[ September 10, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Mike McK ]

13. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Sorry to chime in EIGHT MONTHS LATER but why is this any different from reading Voltaire, or listening to Wagner?

I have to agree with Kevin Max of dcTalk in his book Unfinished Work that Marilyn Manson is nothing more than bad theatre. He is purposely trying to antagonize Christians (Manson, not KMax!!), just like Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. The difference is Marilyn is only doing what Trent has already done, thus rendering his act as derivative at best.....

As for the song "Why Don't We Get Drunk.." - Jimmy Buffett did not take credit for the song either. If you look at the liner notes (I seem to recall that the song is on Living and Dying in 3/4 Time), credit is given to Marvin Gardens. He is a member of the Coral Reefer Band, playing the maracas and beer cans!! Sorry, couldn't resist: I have been a HUGE fan for most of my adolescent and adult life - my Buffett is on vinyl!! While you are trashing Jimmy, don't forget "Grapefruit, Juicy Fruit" - which is a hangover cure. [​IMG]

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless someone can show me some redeeming value to this thread, I will close it later tonight.

Lots of misunderstanding and he said/she said.

And in reality, who cares about the filth of the world. Even reading it defiles me. :mad:

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree. He's compared a lot to Alice Cooper but I don't think the two could be more different.

Whereas Alice was "acting out every bad "B" movie I've ever seen on stage", I've always gotten the idea that Manson is little more than a petulent child throwing a temper tantrum for attention.

I remember an artical in which Alice talked about meeting Manson and implied that he shared the Gospel with him (Alice did the classy thing and, out of respect to Manson, did not give the details). Manson, evidently resented this and incorporated several things into his show to mock Alice's Christianity.

That's off of "A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean".

From what I head, Bubba is getting in touch with his "inner Marvin". His next album, which will be titled "Conchy Tonk", will be a country album. The last two country albums he did was a complete disaster ("Riddles in the Sand" and "Last Mango in Paris") but he has the number 1 country song right now.

He's also been known to sit in with Freddie and the Fishsticks.

I don't know if it's a hangover cure but it sure is a good song.

16. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

HEY, WHOA....
    Alice Cooper is a Christian?
    Please explain: I had absolutely no idea.
    (I knew his father was a preacher.)

This really made me laugh: I went to my collection to verify this, came back to edit this statement and the server said that I couldn't go back and edit. Hey, at least I didn't say it was on Coconut Telegraph!! [​IMG]

I am a Floridian, so I went to see Jimmy for free when he was campaigning for Lawton Chiles and Al Gore. The VAST majority of people in the audience were there to see Jimmy, not either of the politicians. I was under the impression that he had moved to Nashville.

Your post made me laugh so hard I have a headache. I hope this post finds you well!!

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

You didn't know that? I thought it was old news by now.

Here's a brief excerpt from an article on WorldNetDaily.com:

Alice Cooper goes with God
    'Shock-rock' pioneer now 'dedicated to follow Christ'

Posted: March 1, 2002

Alice Cooper says he loves God but doesn't want to become a 'celebrity' believer.

The father of shock rock whose music and stage antics have outraged parents for more than 30 years told how the fear of hell turned him to God.

Alice Cooper, who sang about necrophilia and chopped up baby dolls during his concerts, said that although he continues to record and tour with a theatrical horror-style show, "My life is dedicated to follow Christ."

Although he became a Christian in the 1980s, apart from brief comments in some interviews the 54-year-old singer has always been guarded about his faith – until now. But in a frank interview with a Christian music magazine, he spoke at length publicly for the first time about his love for God and reluctance to become a "Christian celebrity."

A chart-topper with the teen anthem "School's Out," Cooper – who legally changed his name from Vince Furnier – has been credited with paving the way for the likes of today's outrageous performers such as Marilyn Manson.

That changed when alcoholism threatened his marriage. He and his wife, Sheryl, attended a church with a "hellfire pastor." Cooper said he became a Christian "initially more out of the fear of God, rather than the love of God ... I did not want to go to hell." Interviewed for HM's March/April issue, Cooper views his faith as "an ongoing thing."

"Being a Christian is something you just progress in. You learn. You go to your Bible studies. You pray," he said.

He has avoided "celebrity Christianity," because "it's really easy to focus on Alice Cooper and not on Christ. I'm a rock singer. I'm nothing more than that. I'm not a philosopher. I consider myself low on the totem pole of knowledgeable Christians. So, don't look for answers from me."

Yet he has been able to speak to others in the music scene about his faith.

"I've had a couple of people that were friends of mine that I've talked to that have vocally said they have [accepted Christ]. I have talked to some big stars about this, some really horrific characters ... and you'd be surprised. The ones that you would think are the furthest gone are the ones that are more apt to listen."

He no longer performs some of his older repertoire. Any song promoting promiscuous sex and drinking "gets the axe," he said. "I'm very careful about what the lyrics are. I tried to write songs that were equally as good, only with a better message."

Cooper told HM he answers his critics: "'I was one thing at one time, and I'm something new. I'm a new creature now. Don't judge Alice by what he used to be. Praise God for what I am now.'"

Here's a link to another good interview where he talks about his faith:

http://www.jesusjournal.com/jj_testimony/cooper.html

Love his music, hate his politics.

He splits his time between Palm Beach and Long Island. His next door neighbor on Long Island is Billy Joel and, evidently, they spend a lot of time fishing together.

Very well, thank you. Glad I could help.

18. Barry2

Barry2 New Member

Hello,

Any body who calls themself a Christian but is into enjoying marilyn Manson is simply not a Christian at all. Better wake up before you bust Hell wide open folks. Sorry, but the truth is the truth.

Barry2

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

How do you know? That's a pretty trivial criteria to base someone's eternal destiny on, isn't it?