1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marine Sues Murtha

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

In order to protect the country, I also expect our politicians be punished for abuse of power.

I caught that he was abusing his power and going outside of the legally appointed congressional investigation process. I caught that he did not care about the lives of the Marines.

I think carpro might have caught that as well.

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yeah, like politicians never give speeches.

Where did you get that from? Surely not from what he actually said. He has always been supportive of the troops even in his opposition to the way this invasion has been handled. Murtha has said that we either need sufficient troops to stablilize Iraq (linkie) OR we need to get out. For some reason of their own, certain people ignore the first part and attack him on the second.

Did you know that the SwiftLiars are out to get him (linkie)? This is payback for his opposition to Bush and his Iraqi quagmire.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Maybe Murtha is a little unhappy that the honor of all Marines was dirtied by these killings.

Let the chips fall where they may. But don't let murder go unpunished.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Combat is stressful. Combat amongst a civilian population is particularly stressful. This is not news and the Marines don't need Murtha making excuses for them by publicly accusing them of cold blooded murder. :rolleyes:

Did you catch that, Daisy?

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I'm interested to know what an in depth serious investigation turns up.

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I don't think Murtha needs advice from an armchair general on combat stress when operating in civillian areas. He was wounded twice in Vietnam, whiile earning a bronze star and two purple hearts.

Isn't it amazing that the guys who are reluctant to have wars are the guys who actually served honorably in them?

Isn't it amazing that they guys who chickened out when asked to serve, are the enthusiastic warriors? (so long as they don't have to do it)

Is is surprising that Murtha, who served bravely is outraged? Is is surprising that those who failed to serve are not?

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Apparently, it is or there wouldn't be so many news stories, largely sympathetic, about it.

A decorated ex-Marine himself

Did you catch where he got the information from, carpro? He didn't just make it up.

Who told him? Answer that, carpro.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one I know of was advising Murtha on combat stress. Instead , the reverse is true. I fail to understand how it helps to alleviate stress on Marines by publicly calling them cold blooded killers.

Murtha badly needs advice on when he needs to stop running his mouth.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

On the contrary, we need more people willing to call a spade a spade and brave the smear campaigns of the vast right-wing conspiracy.

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Having lived with it, and having to command men under it, I suppose he thinks that he doesn't need those who never went thorugh it to lecture him on it.

Those who commit murders need more stress on them, not less.

Maybe Rumsfeld can explain what combat stress does. Rummy has never seen combat, so he's probably an expert.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So you are in favor of publicly accusing Marines of being cold blooded killers without benefit of a completed investigation, without charges being filed, and without a trial being held?

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

We'll see what the investigation showed, soon enough. Sometimes, innocent people get arrested. But not all that often.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but that is the point.

The Marines in question have not even been arrested.

14. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I'm in favor of people commenting on international incidents, definitely yes. You know that he did not accuse any of them personally - he repeated what he was told by miltitary sources and used this incident as an example of what Bush's failed policy leads to.
    Where is your outcry against military officials?

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who cares about anonymous military officials?

OTOH Murtha is a high profile politician and former Marine.

When he prematurely and publicly proclaims any Marine or group of Marines to be cold blooded killers, it makes the news and discredits the whole of our Marine Corps.

To top that off, he lies about where he got the information when he should be more concerned with how incredibly stupid he has been to pronounce Marines guilty of cold blooded murder before an investigation is completed and charges filed.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

This is where the info came from. Why don't you care?

And?

Only in certain, unthinking segments of the population.

That's some unsupported accusation you made there, carpro! What evidence do you have that he lied about where he got his information? It is hardly incredibly stupid, or even mildly stupid, to state what the evidence indicated.

This smells like hate-radio regurgitated slime.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c
    To top that off, he lies about where he got the information when he should be more concerned with how incredibly stu

There is no doubt that you are correct. Murtha is incredibly stupid for making premature statements about Haditha. Then he's doubly stupid for lying about it.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/15184222.htm

A two-front war for Murtha
    He's under attack by those livid about his Iraq criticism.

By Tom Infield
    Inquirer Staff Writer

EXCERPT

"Asked about this in the interview, Murtha said the information came from Gen. Michael Hagee, the commandant of the Marine Corps, in a one-on-one conversation the day before Hagee made a trip to Iraq. Hagee did not use the term "in cold blood," he added.

Col. Dave Lapan, a Marine spokesman, disputed Murtha's account.

He said the commandant did brief Murtha about the Haditha incident. But he said that was on May 24, a week after Murtha made his public comment. The next day, May 25, Hagee left for Iraq, he said."

18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

???

I did not say he lied or that he was stupid. This is deceit on your part to pretend that I have.

That's right - he is definitely under attack by the pro-war right-wingers, including the SwiftLiars regrouped under a new name.

There are three other possibilities here: Murtha was mistaken about who first told him, Lapan is mistaken or Lapan is lying.

It's interesting how eager you are to condemn Murtha as a liar on one man's word.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Swiftvets are not involved. If you think they are, please provide proof.

Murtha, I guess, could have gotten his times mixed up...by more than 5 days,:rolleyes:

You bet I'll believe the Commandant of the Marine Corps over a grandstanding politician.

Whats even more interesting is why Murtha, by his own admission, added the words "in cold blood" to his statement. Add a little drama, maybe. Or maybe for impact , instead of accuracy.

20. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The Marines, after investigating, have concluded that the troops who claimed the civilians were killed in the blast of a mine, did not tell the truth. They were, according to the Marine investigators, killed by the Marines themselves.

The Marines involved reported that they engaged in a fierce firefight with Iraqis firing from several houses, where they later broke in and shot the civilians. But there are no bullet holes in the outsides of any of the houses. Only inside.

If one is not guilty, it's hard to see why one would lie about it.

#40 The Galatian, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.