1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marines Get More Army Hand- me- Downs

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by carpro, Feb 7, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,124103,00.html?ESRC=marine.nl

Army Transfers Tanks to Marines
    Army.mil | February 05, 2007

EXCERPTS

WASHINGTON -- The Army will transfer 80 M1A1 Abrams tanks over the next eight months to the Marine Corps to help them replace earlier models which the Army has already upgraded.

In an agreement between the two services, 25 M1A1s will be transferred to the Marine Corps by the end of March. The remaining 55 will be transferred as they become available during the fiscal year. The Marine Corps will fund all transfer costs from the Army's tank storage facility at the Sierra Army Depot in California.

This is not the first time Army G8, Force Development Division, has collaborated with the Marine Corps. Since 2004, the Army has transferred 144 M1A1s to the Marine Corps, which then modifies the Abrams' hulls and turrets for their unique operational requirements, such as forward deployments afloat via Marine expeditionary units.

According to Maj. Alphonso Gamble, G8, Abrams systems sync officer at the Pentagon, the transfer will not impact the Army's active and Reserve components.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sorry that we are giving ya'll hand me downs . . .

But, I thank God they are getting M1's.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The Marine Corps has always through out its entire history done the toughest job with the least amount of resources. As a department of the Navy they are only a small part of the budget. This is nothing new.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I know. More of the same.

I had to chuckle when I saw it.

Early in the Iraq War, an Army officer visited the fire control center of a Marine artillery regiment and marveled at their efficiency with their outdated equipment. He didn't even know how to operate most of it.:thumbs:

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Because it was antiquated or why?

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

He was an officer . . .

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I neglected to mention he was also an artillery officer, but the answer to your question is yes.

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

The Army was just getting the kinks worked out of those tracks before turning them over to Marines. Come to think of it, they should be grateful!