1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark 7:24

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven2006, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I have a question. I am reading this verse, and it says that when Jesus entered the house that He didn't want anyone to know of it, yet He couldn't escape notice. My question is, why if Jesus really desired something, it wouldn't have happened? I mean if Jesus wanted to move mountains He could, so it would seem like if He truly didn't want anyone to know it, they wouldn't have. Yet scripture it all truth, and it clearly says that He didn't want that. Is there any meaning to this, or is it just one of those verses that we just don't really know.

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I guess so far at least it is just one of those verses where we just don't really know. :laugh:

3. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

OK, I'll take one more stab at this.

My question, why the apparent contradiction? If you think it out it doesn't make sense. Is there something for us to learn here, what does it mean? Does it mean no matter how tired or absorbed in our needs we might be, we should always be prepared to witness?

But I still don't understand how could Jesus really want something to happen and it not happen? Puzzling to me.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Perhapas it was because of His humanity. Like the times when He was hungry and tired and surely must have "wanted" food and rest, but He set His wants and needs aside many times in order to show compassion on others.

In the verse you posted, He showed compassion to the little girl.

Just a thought. :)

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Amy,

Thank you for the response. Yes, I guess we could assume that many times he wanted things. I would think that when He was a child He wanted something that Mary and Joseph denied. But for it to be documented in scripture it I assume it has some meaning to it. The closest other verse I could think of was Matthew 26: 39.

Mat 26:39 And He went a little beyond {them,} and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will."

But still here Jesus clearly submitted to the Fathers will. Are there any verses other than Mark 7:24 where we see clearly that what Jesus wanted did not happen?