1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark 9:29

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Jan 31, 2005.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an honest question not meant to enrage or begin yet another fight. I have seen many folks say that modern versions leave out certain verses and then I usually see answers from others. Excuse me if this particular verse has been discussed, but someone explain why the modern versions leave out Mark 9:29. I was listening to a message and for some reason they decided to leave out "fasting" and from what I can tell it is pretty important. Anyone want to kindly explain again why this and others are left out with the newer versions. Thanks.

Aloha!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The MVs don't leave out the entire verse, but only the final two words (KAI NHSTEIA, "and fasting").

They base their decision upon four (4) Greek MSS (Aleph* B 0274 2427) and one Old Latin MS (k) that omit the two words. *All* other witnesses (MSS of various texttypes as well as the various versions) retain the two words.

The omission in only 4 MSS of related texttype may well have been caused by homoioteleuton, skipping from KAI to KAKEIQEN of the following verse KA^KA skip). This seems more likely than for every other witness to have added the phrase.

3. citizenofheaven

citizenofheaven New Member

Simply, the answer is that Satan doesn't want them there.

Prayer and fastingare our strongest weapons of spiritual warfare. What better device does someone's adversary have to disarm his enemy than to convince him that he doesn't have/need his best weapon?

4. David J

David J New Member

Satan does not want them to be there? WOW! proof please!

So we are back to the old KJVO lie about Satan being behind MV's. I think that you can do better than that my brother.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    CoH said:

"Prayer and fasting are our strongest weapons of spiritual warfare."

So why did Paul say:

"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    rsr - I missed the "fasting" part? I can see why ONE Gospel (Matthew) says "prayer and fasting" and the other only says "prayer" (like 29 other NT places where it is NOT linked with fasting), so the copyist, knowing the parallel Gospel account in Matthew says it, just adds it in to Mark's account.

Happens all the time. We know what one verse says, so add parts of other verses to it.

7. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

But you say the the whole verse in Matthew is a forgery? So every scribe in the world but five (covering all versions and fathers) happened to remember a forgery from Matthew's account and then chose to add two words from a forgery in Matthew's account to Mark's account? Explain to me how this works.

Yours,

Bluefalcon

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Bluefalcon.
    I like you. You are obviously NOT KJVo but you are smart, and you don't let inconsistencies go unchallenged. I like that.

Preach on brother!

In HIS service;
    Jim