1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark Driscoll taking it too far?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JRG39402, Feb 25, 2009.

1. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Can't one be culturally relevant and not participate in the culture?

I have had a very successfull teen ministry for years and I do not dress like a teen, talk like a teen, nor act like a teen. I relate to teens extremely well. I listen to them. I love them. And I answer their questions honestly and bluntly. Yet at no time do I use suggestive language or vulgar remarks.

I have watched many fail misereably who try to become one.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What ever the means.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you show an example of what you're thinking of?

4. MorganT

MorganT New Member

I like Mark, he is not sugar coating anything and says it like it is. If you have not heard him goto YouTube and listen to some of his sermons.

You Tube

#24 MorganT, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am totally with you on this! :applause:

I talk to youth groups quite a bit. I think they listen to someone more who is not trying to be like them.

The gospel is the power unto salvation, and a pastor's integrity, words, love, and preaching the message are what is is needed. I don't think we need to be vulgar to reach people.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is a little off topic but has to do with Mark Driscoll. I just saw this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3px0viXLYQ&feature=related

and I have to say I was very glad to hear Driscoll say he does not recommend McLaren or Rob Bell to people in his church, and he would never let them speak or preach in his church unless he saw them repent from some of their doctrinal errors.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He's a great communicator - very interesting to listen to. I admire him for being willing to do the 'open forum' thing because, honestly, I think there are some tough questions out there that people are embarrassed to ask. But Driscoll is not afraid to answer them, which I think is very important. Christians need to know the answers to the tough questions on things - especially stuff on s3x. I watched a few of the videos on YouTube that were his MC-17 ones, and he was right on. Yeah, he mentioned the "m" word, and some others but they are topics that are valid to be speaking of in a church of adults. Certainly not with children but I'd let my teens listen to him teach because he's teaching just what we would teach.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't for Christians, period. If you think a subject that is at the same time delicate and explosive, like sex, can be presented in a careless and common manner, then you know nothing about it. Driscoll isn't about being direct, he is about being profane.

We don't fly off at the mouth with the terms and language that an adulterous, vulgar generation so flippantly and routinely employs, not because we're "culturally concealed" or in any other way ashamed of the subject, but because we revere and honor it as something sacred.

I don't know what your gender is, but you are no one I would want near any of my girls.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Have you heard any of his preaching to come to this conclusion or is it second hand information. If it was something you heard, can you give me a link to that talk? I've not heard him speak profanely at all nor have I heard him speak flippantly about sex. I've heard him speak honestly, directly and Biblically. I'd love to hear if I'm mistaken.

10. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I am listening to one of the MH-17 series now. No problems with what is being said. No profanity, nothing vulgar. I do not know the makeup of the audiance to comment on the appropriateness of the discussion. It is something I would, have, and will discuss in the appropriate setting if and when the spirit leads me to do so.