1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marriage

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Jul 21, 2018.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very little of the marriage ceremony is grounded in Scriptures. As this article states: https://www.southernliving.com/wedd...igin-of-father-walking-bride-down-aisle-image

What (exactly) is the statements concerning the marriage and the ceremony that can be found in Scriptures?

The very first marriage in the Scriptures had the Father of the bride bringing the bride to the groom followed by the groom making a certain pronouncement. There was the transfer of authority from the Father to the husband. This is typical of when the question is asked, "Who gives this bride away?" The transfer of authority of protection is then placed into that of the groom.

What other Scripture examples are found that may point to the typical western marriage ceremony that may be "to do" and not mere rituals born out of tradition?

2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, you've already stated the biggest thing I can think of:

" Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
    26 that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    27 that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
    28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
    29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:" ( Ephesians 5:25-29 )

The ceremony itself I really cannot find much of, if any, detailed in God's word, except to say that elements of it are represented in many places.