1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like so many they are not teachable.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First off your example contradicts scripture.
    Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

You are discribing two lost fornicators, not one saved and one lost. So the answer, is based on scripture, they are both lost and no the preacher should not marry them.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Absolutely. They would rather believe the lie then the truth.

4. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not personally know of any pastor who would marry someone shacking up (that is what living as a family and not being married is). I am sure that I probably know a pastor who would tho, I just do not know which it is (I hope that there are none)

If you are following Jesus, then God's Word does forbid a saved person to marry an unsaved person. To say any different would be calling good - bad and bad-good.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every man who has pastored my church has gone to couples who are co-habitating and counseled them to marry. Some with success and some bringing them to the Lord.

My own mother and father sold my grandmother's home to a young couple planning to live together without marriage. They counseled them many times during the transaction of selling the home and the young couple responded to them so wonderfully. They married about a month after all of that and said that it was due to my mother and father showing them that it was the right thing to do.

I would hope that any pastor worth his salt would promptly marry a young couple living in sin together. Certainly, he may ask them to live apart for a while, if he chooses.

I don't understand why a pastor would turn his back on a couple living in an unGodly way and refuse to marry them?

I agree that it is a TERRIBLE idea for a Christian to marry a non-Christian. Yet Paul and Peter both gave scriptures of hope for the believer who is married to the non-believer.

But you are going to have to cite for me where marriage between a believer and a non-believer is expressly forbidden.

#25 Scarlett O., Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying that Christians don't err and don't sin? Christians don't fornicate? There is no Christian married couple ever in the history of Christiandom that had sex before they were married?

#26 Scarlett O., Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not saying anything. The Lord is. I just believe Him. :thumbsup:

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A couple can have a lot in common, but if they don't have THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN COMMON (ie Christ), there will be trouble.

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

As a pastor I do Christian weddings which means that I only perform Christian ceremonies for Christians. For those Christians living together I will marry if they demonstrate genuine repentance and agree to live a part until the marriage date. If they can't move a part due to financial reasons then they need to get married right away. Otherwise they can go find someone else to perform the ceremony.

10. John Toppass

Site Supporter

This is a very good example of calling bad - good and good - bad. The acceptance and making excuse for.

There is a huge difference in being married to an unbeliever and marrying an unbeliever. Pastors should be marrying believers. Justice of the Peace can marry the rest. It is a matter of doing what is right even if they are going to get married anyway.

2 Corinthians 6.14 states that we as believers should not be joined with unbelievers.

Every Christian should try to remedy an unbelievers circumstance, and if you love them more than you do Jesus then go ahead and marry them but I pray that a true pastor will not perform the ceremony. Let the them be joined under man's law and not ask the blessing of God who has already stated His desire in the scriptures.

For those who are already married to an unbeliever let them stay in that marriage if the unbeliever is willing to stay, in hopes that the unbeliever will find salvation by believer's witness and testimony.

For those who are not yet married but in love with an unbeliever, be patient in the Lord, but do not marry them while in their unbelief.

Bottom line----IMHO A pastor who knowingly marries a believer to an unbeliever is holding hands with the evil one.

What is next? Are we to accept abortion because they are going to do it anyway? We already have Christians who are against abortion but pro choice. They state it is a "personal choice". Just like we have some who say "marry them no matter what because they are already shacking up.

P.S. A pastor who is will not marry a couple who is shacking up together whether they have children or not, is not turning his back on them. He is showing them what the God says in His Word. How they listen to his council is up to them.

#30 John Toppass, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

But you are going to have to cite for me where marriage between a believer and a non-believer is expressly forbidden.

It's called being unequally yoked and marriage is perhaps the best illustration of this practice.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see.

My thoughts on 2 Corinthians 6:14 was in post #5.

13. John Toppass

Site Supporter

I read and reread your thoughts, overall you are right except (IMO) when you conveniently decide it doesn't apply to the areas that you do not want it to apply to.

So I guess that means some apply 2 Corinthians 6:14 to all of Christian living and some don't. That is the way some Christians justify pro choice which murders babies in their mothers womb.

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that's what you read, then either I mis-spoke or you mis-read or perhaps a little bit of both. :flower:

My post #5 was not to justify marriage between a believer and a non-believer, but to show that that particular passage was not about marriage per se and really shouldn't be used as a hard and fast "rule" forbidding these kind of marriages.

The encouragement to marry believer ONLY with believer could definitely be under the umbrella of this passage, but that's not what the passage is about - to me. It's much bigger than that.

We probably agree more than you think.

15. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Yes that's what we should do, treat lost people like diseased lepers !!!!!! Lets look down our noses at them and show them how they're totally unworthy of any attention at all except for guilt trips.

While were at it lets not even have lost friends. Lets just drop all association with anyone who isn't a Christian.

Yes I'm being sarcastic..........

Marriage is not a good idea. But to have an attitude with the lost where you shouldn't even try is completely arrogant.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Scarlett, it is a hard fast rule as far as I'm concerned when it comes to Christian marriages. A pastor, in my opinion, and I think strongly backed by God's word, has no business endorsing a marriage between a believer and a non-beliver. I think you are playing a little too loose with this principal in this case.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Arrogance and pride is thinking that we can play games with God's word and remain untouched by our arrogance. Sinners are never to be our closet friends and dating is just that. So anyone who even dates a non believer is mocking God and opening the door for satan. We are told; for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What does having lost friends have to do with actually dating one? Do you feel it's ok for a believer to date a non believer?

I can't imagine going through marriage without Christ as our foundation. Marriage is not always easy. We're two sinners but thank God we're two sinners saved by grace and seeking to do all to glorify God. Without Him as our rock and foundation, our marriage would not have survived - and the rudder that drives our family would be gone and we'd be aimless. My daughters will never date an unsaved man and they have also chosen to never date an immature believer.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

There is no Biblical justification for dating a non-believer. For a Christian would condemn another Christian for obeying God's word is very sad in my opinon.

20. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Dating is one thing. Marriage is another. While dating you can lead someone to the Lord, like myself or did anyone read that part. Where I was saved due to the efforts of a Christian girlfriend, so of course I'm for it.

freeatlast, I have no other way to put this. You sir are a Pharisee, a legalist of the highest order. You obsess over the letter but obviously have no understanding of the Spirit.

I NEVER said a Christian can marry a non believer!!!! So you have no "high ground" there. You need to realize what made you righteous in the first place, that is Christ , in Him and by Him alone are you made righteous before God. You are no BETTER than the sinner, only better off.

annsni, the point I was getting to, sorry if I was a bit short and rude. We can't keep seeing lost people as if through a plate glass barrier. They see this and they hate us for it and it only serves to harden their hearts. We cant hold it against them because its a condition we caused. This isnt the Devils fault, we Christians did this and its time we hold ourselves accountable and fix the problem. The supposed "outreach" is garbage because its not genuine and has a hidden agenda. People see right through this. If your only befriending them to get them in Church, they see right through it.

#40 Tater77, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.