1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Martin Lloyd-Jones and antinomianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JamesL, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well perhaps you'll explain your post #12 a little further then, please.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be glad to. What part of 1 Corinthians 3:1 "And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ," didn't you understand?

3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    '.......And I will kill her children with death, and all the churches will know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.' (v.22).

4. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand it all, thanks for asking. What is your point?

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there's a common misunderstanding that if a man acknowledges the reality of carnal Christians, he's endorsing their carnality.

When Paul acknowledged the carnality in the Corinthians, he told them that they needed to grow up, and reminded them that they could become disqualified from their inheritance

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point was that Paul was apparently under the impression that saved people could be living carnal lives. They could be living after the flesh rather than after the Spirit.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, believers sometimes suffer physical death at God's digression.
    His servants were committing fornication.
    What's your point?

HankD

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, my original post:

You have only to go onto the 'other Christian forums' section here and teach justification by faith alone to get a reaction from the RCs, SDAs and others.

But on the other hand, just recently, we have had folk on this forum teaching that one could be a 'carnal Christian' and live like the devil, but still be saved.

First of all, note the inverted commas around 'carnal Christian.' Secondly, note the qualification, someone who 'lives like the devil.' Thirdly, note the context, someone who used to teach that such people were saved (I think the guy was called DHK. He seems not to be active on the board at present). I assumed that you would know what I meant by a 'carnal Christian.' I think the expression is not unknown in the USA.

Now let's start with John 3:6-7. "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, 'you must be born again.'" Paul, in Romans 8:6-8 tells us that 'to be carnally [fleshly] minded is death.........those who are in the flesh cannot please God.' But he describes the Corinthian Christians as 'sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints' (1:2). He thanks God on every remembrance of them (v.4) and assures them that the Lord Jesus will confirm them to the end (v.7). So whatever he means by 'carnal' in 1 Corinthians 3:1-4, it cannot be the same as he means in Romans 8. The Corinthians are being carnal in their 'envy, strife and divisions,' and in other ways, but under Paul's rebuke they cleaned up their act as is evident from 2 Corinthians 7:6-12. They were brought to repentance (v.10), which is a sign of the New Birth.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, Have you ever counseled anyone about life's issues, Christian or otherwise?

HankD

10. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you should know how capable Christians (even older and "mature" Christians ) are of yielding to the flesh).

HankD

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as his point to them was quit thinking and acting like you are still "in the flesh", and grow up and stop being babes in Christ!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that a carnal Christian would be a saved person who is sinning at times, and at those moments would be carnal, but not someone who can live in that state ongoing forward, with no real difference between how he acted before :saved"