1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by underscoretim, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southernpatriot

Southernpatriot New Member

I refuse to believe he deserves a street named after him in EVERY major U.S. town with a population over 25,000.I agree he did a lot in the Civil Rights movement. However , the folks who are pushing so hard for him to obtain such high recognition are secular . He is rarely mentioned as a Rev. In order for a man to have the motivation he did wouldnt you think his faith played a immense role? It is rarely mentioned. Instead we now have a new holiday called Kwanza that is being promoted that is contrary to Christian principles.

2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

1. What does MLK Jr. Day have do with Kwanza?

2. If it is not your city or town it is none of your concern what the streets are named. He did a lot for the Civil Rights movement, and is a hero to many. It is no surprise that there are many streets named after him.

3. Secular people are pushing to honor him precisely because of his contributions to the Civil Rights movement. It does not matter politically that he was a Rev. The state is secular.

4. I am sure his faith played a great role in his contributions to society, however, that will not change the fact that we live in a secular nation. MLK Day is not as much about the man as it is about Civil Rights.

5. Do we have to rehash this topic every year? If you don't want to celebrate the day then don't. Some people value their civil rights more than others and the day is symbolic to them. A celebration of overcoming obstacles that greatly divided this nation, a realization of how far we have really come, and a reminder of how much farther we have to go to end racism and inequality.

#22 Filmproducer, Jan 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2007
  3. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Really? I think the key to Dr. Kings accomplishment was non-violence. Can't really say the same for Bush, besides he overthrew a dictator. I hardly call the people of Iraq free, at least not at this point.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Maybe Iraq will have a day for him...

5. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

MLK day, to me, is not just about one man. It is about a great many men and women who put their lives on the line for dignity, justice, and freedom.

6. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

This kind of talk proves that there is still work to be done

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I celebrated by watching the movie Freedom Writers.

8. Bobby

Bobby New Member

It amazes me how America celebrates peoples lives and paints them up as heros.

MLK jr was a fornicating , whore monger who wasn't even saved!

Why is it that colored folk who are political activists are labeled as Rev.? (He earned degrees from seminary, but was not reverent)

I am not racist, God sent his Son to die for all colors! I am however mind boggled how people claim to desire equal rights when they are actually fighting for more rights that the other races, gender or sexual persuasion.

If I was to start a white heritage day or month I would be labeled as a bigot.

How many celebrate/observe MLK day?

Don't think I hate the man because he is black, Christopher Columbus was white and I feel the same way about the murdering, persecuting, racist white man.

Give theses a listen if you want truth!

1 http://www.inthestreets.org/Preachi...hurch/MLK/The truth about Martin Luther 1.mp3

2 http://www.inthestreets.org/Preachi...hurch/MLK/The truth about Martin Luther 2.mp3

#28 Bobby, Jan 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2007
  9. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

Out of the shacks of history's shame
    I rise
    Up from a past that's rooted in pain
    I rise
    I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
    Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
    I rise
    Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
    I rise
    Bringing the gifts my ancestors gave,
    I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
    I rise
    I rise

~maya angelou

I honestly feel sorry for you.
    God bless
    I rise.

10. Bobby

Bobby New Member

I sinderely appreciate your sympathy[​IMG]

11. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I think MLK day is a good day to celebrate Civil Rights, much like Columbus day is a good day to remember the early explorations that lead to the birth of our country (and a few others).

Thanksgiving day is more about giving thanks than it is for celebrating peace between native americans and european explorers.

Civil Rights are something we should all be aware of, so why not celebrate with a day named for someone who helped us see so much about civil rights?

12. PeterM

PeterM Member

I am in awe that you can know a man's heart so well as to know his spiritual condition.

You reference to other peoples as "colored" is quite condescending and offers a glimps into your heart.

MLK is not only worthy of a day, but the civil rights movement obviously still has work to do.

Blessings

13. Bobby

Bobby New Member

So sorry, what is the politically correct term this month?

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with Raindrop, it's not really about a day or a man. This season reflects us back to a time when a nation had to take a good look at it's soul. We claimed all Men were created equal but those were conditional words. We are having to relook at ourselves now that Hispanics have appeard on the radar. I think now is a god time to see what we learned from past mistakes.

I don't think anyone is celebrating his social life, we are celebrating the selfless efforts he made bringing this nation together. Divided against ourselves, we were doom to self-destruction.

He was not called Rev because of his political views or his political activities, he was called Rev because he preached. I have a recording of "A Shepherd leading his Flock" and have to admit, I like it. He was a good thinker...

Just my $00.02, if you consider MLK a racial thing then you may be what you say you are not. He did not bring races together, what he did was for the nation. Look at the pictures, there were an awful lot of white folks marching right by his side. This speaks that his cause was not a cause of a race, he just so happened to be Black.

Christopher Columbus landed in South American and met Indians when he got off the boat. Discovered??? You may have a good point there...

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

The work MLK did is pathetic. As a direct result of "civil rights" we have a plethora of special interest groups playing the 'rights' card to dictate special treatment just becuase they happen to be different than the majority.

Where is the "White Man History" month?
    Where is the "Straight Heterosexual Pride" parades?
    Where is....well you get the idea.

White heterosexual males are constantly portrayed as the evil boogie man whenever some group want speacial treatment. How come we don't celebrate India's Independence from Britain? But we celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Utter folly.

MLK did more to destroy what the founding fathers of this country strove to establish than any one person ever has before or since.

I'll not 'celebrate' nor observe any kind of honour for the man.

Go on and call me bigotted. Call me whatever you want. It demonstrates that you are clearly a dupe of the mindset I am talking about. And save your condescending "I feel sorry for you" baloney.

What has MLK REALLY done? The black man is less free today than he has ever been in this nation but it is not because of the oppression (so-called) of the white man. It is because the black communities of this nation will not rise up and put a stop to the violence they are wreaking upon themselves in every major city. Blacks kill more blacks in this nation than EVER happened prior to 1950-1970 by bigotted whites. And the same is true of the Mexican communities. And the Asian communities. They are killing each other yet the blame is put on the white man. Why?

It is because of the subversive MLK.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I can't say for sure but I don't believe anyone minds being called colored, however, the use of the term associates the user with a perticular place and time.

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, since you opened that can of worms about fornicating whoremongers, then you'll have to put MLK in the back of a very long line.

Here are some other fornicating whoremongers:

Thomas Jefferson
    Benjamin Franklin
    George Washington (alledged fornicating whoremonger)
    Franklin D. Roosevelt
    John F. Kennedy
    Bill Clinton

Not only do these men have a day in their honor, President's Day (except for Franklin), but these fornicating whoremongers have monuments erected (pardon the pun) in their names.

It amazes me that the only fornicating whoremonger that you seem to take issue with is MLK.

We don't celebrate his or any other man's immorality. If we did, then no one would be celebrated. You can take that to the bank.

We celebrate achievements and accomplishments.

#37 Scarlett O., Jan 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You mean like women sufferage? Sure, he started the interest groups and got everyone wanting a fair shake. Interest groups exist because everyone doesn't feel everyone deserves a fair shake. If we equally treated everyone and equally loved all men then I would agree, no more interest groups.

On this note, has anyone ever seen a fox or any animal get saved by throwing paint on another persons coat? I guess somethings about life I just won't get???

19. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AV1611Jim,

Would you prefer the old Jim Crow laws, then?

20. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Your right and although I appreciate the good things they did I dont look up to them and worship them on special days.
    Have you looked at the thread title?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.