1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mary, Mother of God. What do you think.

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Bunyon, Dec 1, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

...who was fully God and fully man. I don't see what the problem is here - unless you wish to deny the divinity of the Incarnate Word. That was sorted out once and for all some 1550 years ago

2. natters

natters New Member

You said Mary was the mother of his flesh, but not God. It sounded like that meant his flesh and God were separate. If Mary was the mother of the flesh, and the flesh is God, then....

Because "mother of" does not require the meaning "origin of".

3. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Natters, I have my perception of what the contemparary meaning is, just want to see what others think about it. But it should be clear in the other thread what I think.

4. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Natters, I would like you to explain something to me, if you don't mind. I think we all agree on two things. The title is dead in the protestant world, and the Chatolic world has abused it. So why is it so imortant for some to resurect it in the protestant wrold. Given that most protestants oppose the title, why not just let it stay dead?

5. natters

natters New Member

But this poll didn't ask about what people though of your perception of the contemporary meaning. It's about "the" contemporary meaning, "the prevailing meaning", etc. Why won't you explain what that is? Even if you covered in in the other thread (I looked through it and could not find a clear explanation there either), you should simply clarify "the contemporary meaning" here for others, if not for me personally.

Or maybe "the contemporary meaning" isn't what you wish it was? I actually don't know, because you won't clarify.

6. natters

natters New Member

First, I don't think it's dead in the Protestant world, it's just largely avoided for some reason. Second, I don't think the Catholic world as a whole has abused it, but certainly some Catholics have. But even if it was as you think, it's part of the Protestant spirit to restore original doctrines and understandings that have been changed and abused by the massive church in general, isn't it?

There, I answered your question, answer mine please? [​IMG]

7. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I am really not trying to avoid your question, but I have answered it. Look at what HankD wrote in the other thread. I said I completely agreed with him on it in that thread. I'll paste it here and comment on it if you wish,.

But is it an original Doctrine? It is not in the Gospels, nor does Paul use it. Does he even mention Mary? Is it even in the Apocrypha? That council you guys mentioned was in 400+ AD. And was 100+ years after Constentine bought the churches and made a state church. I believe the church was already compromised by this time.

8. natters

natters New Member

Please. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Sorry, I should have said original meaning of a doctrine. You have made it pretty clear that you're opposed to a wrong meaning of it, and I think that's good. But you seem to appear that the wrong meaning is the only meaning.

9. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I am not sure if it ever had a proper meaning or if the Councils were uncompromised, I just don't know enough about that to say you are wrong. But if it did start out in orthodoxy, it lost that ortodoxy 1000+ years ago. And I don't think we can overcome its history. Also, it is problamatic to moderns in and of itself and prone to abuse and porblems as we have seen in the other thread.

Cutting and pasting momentarally.

10. natters

natters New Member

Maybe not universally, but what's wrong with doing it for some?

Christianity in general is prone to abuse and problems, as we have seen in history and the world around us.

11. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Here is what HankD wrote, hope you don't mind HankD.

"Texas let me illustrate why I no longer use the phrase "Mother of God" for Mary.

I am a former Roman Catholic (a cradle Catholic so-called), I was saved reading the Bible along with listening to radio preachers while in the military.

When I finally began to think about leaving the Church of Rome, it was a struggle for me for several reasons: shunning by my family and doctrinal matters, but especially the doctrine of Mary.

I simply couldn't bring myself to pray to Mary anymore even though I was still officially a Catholic.

I asked my priest why should I pray to Mary because the Bible teaches that worship is for God alone to receive. His answer: Because she is the Mother of God and she can influence Him.

I objected that the title of "The Mother of God" was nowhere to be found in the Scriptures and his response was "It's the official teaching of the Church which is equally authoritative with the Scripture".

The title of Mother of God was/is the springboard of several other non-scriptural (but official teachings of Rome) elevating Mary with titles such as:

The Co-redeemer with Christ.
    The Mediatrix of all the graces of God.
    The Advocatrix of God.

To use the phrase "Mother of God" immediately invokes the Church of Rome "Marian dogma" in the minds of almost every Christian.

In today's society I will not use the title because I don't ever want to be associated with or appear friendly to the Church of Rome again as well as my beliefs stated in previous posts."------------------------------------------------

I think this explins it well, especially this sentence, "To use the phrase "Mother of God" immediately invokes the Church of Rome "Marian dogma" in the minds of almost every Christian."...............This is the modern meaning because it is true that it immediately invokes the image HankD said it does. I did not want to say that while the pole was going on, but you deserve it, you are a great conversationallist and I appreciate the historical insights you and others have provided.

Natter said..."Christianity in general is prone to abuse and problems, as we have seen in history and the world around us."-----------------------------------------------------------------

And that is precisley why we don't need to revive any more problems.

;)

12. natters

natters New Member

That's fine. You don't like the association. But the association is not the meaning. My JW friend told me he wouldn't ever be a Baptist because we believe in the "Trinity", and in his mind that term associates us with the Catholic church.

Thanks. [​IMG]

For interest, I looked up the definition of "Mother of God" in the Catholic Catechism. It is: "509. Mary is truly "Mother of God" since she is the mother of the eternal Son of God made man, who is God himself." I have no problem with that meaning, even though I risk some people associating me with Catholicism.

I don't understand - when we see a problem, we should keep silent to prevent possibly creating more problems? That's definitely not what our Protestant forefathers thought. ;)

13. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"But the association is not the meaning"

If it really does have a orthodox past, but even then it would only be true if the meaning of words and phrases were static over 2 mellinia. I am no expert, but I don't think they do remain static always, especially when it is single non-scriptural phrase that started out with an agreed upon meaning in another language and culture.

14. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

BUnyon, I agree with Natters. I think I understand your problem: the title 'Mother of God' has become associated with such 'baggage' (largely thanks to the Catholic and Orthodox Churches) that Protestants tend to shy away from it. But that doesn't mean that the phrase is theologically incorrect -it isn't - it just means we perhaps need to be careful about the way we use it and perhaps clarify what we mean by it, namely that it reflects a primarily Christological truth (rather than Mariological) - that Jesus was fully God and fully Man - which was of course the intention of the original definition of the council of Chalcedon (which, incidentally, I don't think was compromised at least not in its conclusion which was eminently in line with Scripture)

15. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

All I can say is you better not refer to a stright man as Gay here in the usa no matter what the origianal meaning of the word is. Its not association, the original meanning has changed. And folks recognize that.

I think most of us find it problematic no matter what its past is. Even if I were starting from scratch, I think I would find it problematic and unnecessary. Christ nor the Gospel ever felt the need to rely on Mary with a title or another device to emphasis the devine nature of Christ.

16. natters

natters New Member

"Gay" used to mean happy - now it means homosexual. "Mother of God" used to mean Mary gave birth to Jesus, who was and is the Son of God, made flesh, and who is God - now it means the same thing as far as I can tell, regardless of any associations by different groups who use the term. The term did not change meaning, like "gay" did.

17. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

OK, natters, seems like a good place to end the discussion. Can you name those councils again. Ephesis, and one that started with a ch... and any others. I'll do some studying on them.

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chalcedon.