1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mary speaking in tongues?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mima, Mar 2, 2006.

1. mima

mima New Member

Did Mary the mother of Jesus speak in tongues according to what the Scriptures teach?

[ March 03, 2006, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

not that I have seen

3. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

I have read nowhere that she did, even in my old pentecostal circles.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Nope, she sure didn't.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

well, actually...

Aramaic is an unknown tongue to me, so...

Aw, never mind...

6. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

mima where is this question coming from? Are you just curious?

Just thinking on the fly, but I suppose someone might try to argue that Mary was there at Pentecost and spoke in tongues with the others?

But, no, I know of no Scripture that would suggest she did or didn't speak in tongues.

7. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

I had thought about pentecost also, but she wasn't one of the twelve, and other scripture states that when the Spirit came on the new believers, they spoke in tongues, but Mary wasn't a new believer.

8. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen it argued that she did according to Acts 1-2:

12 ¶ Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from
    Jerusalem a sabbath day’s journey.
    13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both
    Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and
    Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
    14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and

Mary the mother of Jesus,

and with his brethren.

15 ¶ And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number
    of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)

Verses 16-25
    Business Meeting about replacing Judas ( The Early Church was certainly Baptist!! ;) )

26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered
    with the eleven apostles.

Acts 2:1 ¶ And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
    2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
    3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
    4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

It seems to me that:
    1. Mary was in the Upper room

2. All the one hundred and twenty in the Upper Room were filled with the Holy Ghost and all spake in other tongues.

3. Mary spake in tongues on Pentecost.

One might say only the 12 were in the upper room
    (Acts 1:26-2:1) by saying the they in Chapter 2: and following refers to Matthais and the 11, but I think that would be stretch.

Just my opinion.
    Tom

9. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't matter to me one bit whether Mary did or did not speak in tongues. Biblical tongues is not the "heavenly" gibberish prevalent in charismatic circles today.

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Mary is rarely mentioned in Scripture, certainly she did not speak in languages, except, I suppose, the native language that everyone else did. Was it Aramaic?

11. mima

mima New Member

The question was asked because I'd heard this being discussed before. And knowing we have some knowledgeable Bible people on the BB I thought this was a good opportunity to get others' ideas. Now however after reading BroTom64's clear argumentative outline I must say that I agree that Mary spoke in tongues on the day of Pentecost. Seems to me that regardless of what a person's opinion about this is; facts are facts and must be treated as fact. Another words BroTom64's argument has taken me away from doubt.

12. OldRegular

BroTom64

We ar all entitled to our opinion even when they are wrong. The "toungs" spoken at pentecost were not glossolalia, unknown tongues. Scripture clearly tells us that those speaking in "tongues" were speaking in the languages of the many foreigners present in Jerusalem:

Acts 2:4-11
    4. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
    5. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
    6. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
    7. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
    8. And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
    9. Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
    10. Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
    11. Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I think Bro Tom, Old Regular and AresMan are all right.

It is possable Mary spoke in toungs. Those toungs were certenly not nonsence language. And it does not matter at all.

14. OldRegular

DeeJay

Just because my fingers can't follow my brain, or is it the other way around, :D :D is no excuse for you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Are you talking about my spelling. I cant help it, I went to public school. :cool:

I just trusted you knew how to spell it and copied you. Come to think of it that is how I passed public school also.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No one knows.

Another ascriptural issue

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

No one knows.

Another ascriptural issue
    </font>[/QUOTE]As Dr. Logan Carson here at SEBTS would say,

THAT'S THE POINT! :D

18. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

If you are a good Baptist, Mary did not speak in tongues—regardless of what the Bible says. :D

[​IMG]

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Craig

After reading several dozen of your posts, I get the impression that you dont like Baptists much.

I am curious, why are you a Baptist?

20. OldRegular

[​IMG] [​IMG] :D