1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Masons? Good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ajg1959, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Today, being my daddy's birthday, has made me think of this question again.

Much to my suprise, at the end of my father's life he became a mason. It was a shock to me because i never saw my daddy as one who would go through silly rituals or ceremonies, but both my father and mother joined masons and eastern star before they died.

I started looking into these organizations and found some shocking statements made about them.

What do you folks know about masonry? And is it evil?

For the record, from what I have read so far, it seems to be evil.

Any opinions, or facts?

AJ

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree.

My dad went all the way through Masons and I was a DeMolay. After I got saved I was no longer comfortable there.

Good question - I know traditionally the church in general has opposed the Masons.

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Masons are a cult, so I would tend to lean to the side of "bad".

The last church I attended all of the deacons were masons except for my father.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read of lot of bad press concerning the Masons.

My experience is this:

When I was a boy my stepfather was convicted of several crimes and went to jail leaving my mother with 6 children to feed, cloth and shelter.

She had to go on welfare and we lived in a housing project in New Orleans.

The Masons (along with several other charitable organizations) provided food and clothing for us.

At Thanksgiving and Christmas there were baskets with food and gifts from the Masons.

Every holiday season I remember those bad days when some there was some happiness in our lives because of them.

They never asked anything in return.

HankD

5. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

But Hank, even atheists can have a generous heart. Even the worst folks in our society are capable of doing good things.

I am glad that someone was there for your family, but I am not sure that i would label the masons as "good" because they do some good things.

AJ

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Doing good things does not make one good. Masons are a cult,a false religon, nothing more. This does not mean they do not do 'good' social activities.

7. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I know what you said is true, but, there are alot of preachers, even famous evangelists that are masons. I asked one baptist pastor here in town what he thought about the masons, and he said "I am one"...

AJ

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

They tell you that their work and beliefs are "based on the Bible."

Well, so do a lot of denominations -- loosely based, I might add.

They are like many in the Baptist church who believe we will win them by our good behavior. They are not supposed to have to tell you about their association until you ask. And, of course, they have their "mysteries" as does the NT.

If you could have an "emerging church" go all the way "social gospel," this is probably what you would end up with -- a social club that does good works in the name of the Bible.

skypair

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Why do so many christians not care if they participate in a false religion?

10. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

From what I have noticed, they just consider it a brotherhood of sorts, much like the Elk's Lodge. But the deeper they get, the deeper they get.

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I personally cant imagine how ANY child of God can have any part of Masonry.

They like to present themselves as just a fraternal organisation that does some good humanistic work, but when you go up to the highest degrees of Masonry there is clear satanic origins.

And let me tell ya, I can see how it might seem alluring. I am not a rich man. Its not going to be too much longer until retirement time, and I am not going to be one who has hundreds of thousands of dollars at my disposal. Retirement for me will not be the time to travel the world, and vacation on the beach, etc.

I am going to have a social security check and a small retirement check from work.

The retirement years for me are going to be the *hard* years....not the good years.

I have been told by more than one person that if you are a "card carrying" Mason you will never have to worry about a thing. You will be taken care of well, no matter what the circumstances, for the rest of your life. Believe me, that is pretty alluring.

But it is unimaginable for me. I will be fully trusting the Lord Jesus Christ to take care of me, and I have full confidence that He will. I will not turn to a Satanic organisation to meet my needs. Almighty God has never failed me, and He WILL NOT fail me in my declining years

Praise God! :thumbs:

:godisgood:

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

And yet many "children" of the King are Catholics, for instance, just to mention one "foundation" upon which men have built their "saved but so as by fire" faith.

Wow, I didn't know that about the Masons! My FIL and MIL were involved in their retirement. I did see a "cooperative" spirit in their fidelity to one another.

As to your retirement, I'll be praying for you. I "stepped over" that line last year and our persoanl "preparations" are no guarantee anymore either.

skypair

13. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

I have read a lot about masons. I say, don't stir up a hornets nest. They believe as they climb fron one degree to another that In doing so, they can become their own GOD, or better put, save themselves. Marx and Mozzano(Don't know how to spell his name) was masons. Get reading material and read. you would be very surprised how much power these folks have. Do not publically scorn them.

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

It is interesting at many of these responses. I've been reading all the negativity, and condemnations, but haven't read any reasoning for it.

I for one, have also thought of masonry as being a bad thing, from its secretive rituals, and cultish process....but don't really know that many details (I guess nobody could unless they were one).

Does anyone have some specific red flags other than the general warnings on this thread?

15. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They claim to be decended from the Knights Templar that were wiped out in France in the middle ages. That's two bad things. They were Catholic warrior monks and they were French. They are actually a midieval trade union in Scotland that became something more. So they're Scottish which could be a bad thing if your English or Irish. Also they were a trade union so free trade capalist could think that was bad. They had secret signals so that they would not loose trade secretes so they could be considered bad because they promoted monopolies. Joseph Smith dabbled in free masonry and begat Mormons. And they have weird symbols like a pyramid with an eye. An have they ever allowed a minority in their club? (I don't know) So there are some substantive bad things. :laugh:

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

- Catholic warriors
    - French
    - Scottish
    - trade union
    - secret signals
    - Joseph Smith
    - goofy symbols
    - possibly prejudice

Hmmm....well, I was thinking more along the lines of actual beliefs of the masons. For instance, do they knowingly reject any orthodox theology, such is the divinity of Christ, atonement, need for salvation, etc?

.....they do seem weird.

17. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I need to say this before I say anything else. I'm not Mason!!!!!!!

A Mason, however, will tell you that they are not a theology as much as a standard of living with accountability partners. They do have their bible and teachings but they state it is consistent with most other Christian belief systems. So you can be a baptist and be a Mason or you can be a Methodist and be a Mason.

I have no idea what they really teach because they don't tell me. And when you ask them about the secret symbols and stuff they say well "you don't broadcast your intimate moments with your wife because it is private. It's the same with Masons"

18. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

You forgot about the pentagrams on the doors and other signage...

19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

wierd. I don't know if I'd equate a social club with intimate moments with my wife, that's for sure.

20. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Depends on what kind of social club I guess.