1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Masons/MorningStars

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Angie Miller, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Multimom

Multimom New Member

Double post deleted by author due to internal server errors.

[ December 09, 2002, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Multimom ]

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I wonder would you to post the "rituals" of the Masonic Funeral.
    If you know them, post them.

The pentigramic star is widely known as a Satanic symbol and is this not the main emblem of the Masonic Lodge???
    The Masonic logo is a builder's compass and square. As far as pentagrams go, it was the prevailing symbol of Christianity for hundreds of years until replaced by the cross. Also used by Christians were the ichthus (fish) and various version of the three sided clover.

I would avoid this just as I would associating with a group that openly practices Wiccan. Wiccans don't worship Satan, they worship the earth. Acctually, worship isn't quite the right word. Witchcraft as we know it is mostly the product of fairy tale. But I agree with you that wicca is not something that Christians should practice. Freemasonery does not resemble wicca.

Here's what a Pastor and former Grand Lodge Chaplain (Harmon R. Taylor) has to say.
    I'm sure hemeans well, but I don't take more than a grain of salt in the writing of ex-whatevers who are now anti-whatever. I could easily post the pro-mason writings of Christians who are current or past members. But I have no doubt that those writings would simply be dismissed by anti-masons as being either blind or uninformed. So I won't bother.

However, I find it curious that he quote Albert Pike. I did some digging and found that the quotes of Albert Pike (specifically ones concerning "Luciferianism) were fabricated by Leo Taxil. These have been requoted numerous times. Albert Pike made no such writings.

3. Multimom

Multimom New Member

I just find it so terribly tragic that so many of God's children are deceived.

I find it interesting that Masons will defend the lodge to the ground but I venture to say most of them never ever win a single soul to Christ nor do they defend their church with the same fervor.

So who really is their God? Jehovah or Freemasonry?

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

JohnV,

What proof do you have that the statements concerning Lucifer being God by Albert Pike 33rd degree mason are fabricated?

5. Randall S

Randall S New Member

JohnV
    You stated "The SBC, my affiliation, has researched it and announced that they do not feel membership as a freemason "does not necessarily conflict with scriptural teachings, and that men who are freemasons are also allowed to be members of the SBC." The SBC's view is adequate for me."

The SBC is also my affiliation and I would not want all who read this topic to believe that the SBC believes that Freemasonry "does not necessarily conflict with scriptural teachings." In reality the SBC listed 8 tenets and teachings of incompatibilities of Freemasonry and Christianity.

The miracle is that the report even included these few incompatibilities. Having visited in Beaumont Texas with Dr. James Holly who was instrumental in getting this investigation to begin with, I found it amazing what went on in the background during the investigation. Then there are so many Masons in SBC Churches with messengers at the convention that it would be difficult to do better than this report.

During the annual session of the Southern Baptist
    Convention (SBC), June 15-17, 1993, the messengersoverwhelmingly approved a report on Freemasonry. This action recognized the many charitable endeavors of Freemasonry. It also acknowledged that “many outstanding Christians and Southern Baptists now are, and in the past have been Masons.”1 For the first time in the history of the SBC, however, the Convention concluded, “many tenets and teachings of Freemasonry are not compatible with Christianity or Southern Baptist doctrine.”2 The report accepted by the Convention identified eight tenets and teachings of Freemasonry that it concluded were not compatible with Christianity.

Summary Statement on Freemasonry

There are eight major concerns that the Southern
    Baptist Convention has expressed about the teachings and practices of Freemasonry.
    These are:
    (1) Freemasonry uses offensive, non-biblical, and
    blasphemous terms relating to God.
    (2) Freemasonry insists on the use of “bloody
    oaths” or obligations, which are strictly
    forbidden by the Bible (cf. Matt. 5:34—37).
    (3) Freemasonry urges that occultic and/or pagan
    readings be used, and that their teachings be
    appropriated in interpreting such concepts as the
    Trinity.
    (4) Freemasonry includes the Bible as part of the
    “furniture of the lodge,” but only as an equal
    with non-Christian symbols and writings.
    (5) Freemasonry misuses the term “light” to refer to moral “reformation” as a means to salvation.
    (6) Freemasonry teaches that salvation may be
    attained by “good works” and not through faith
    in Christ alone.
    (7) Freemasonry advocates in many of its writings
    the non-biblical teachings of universalism.
    (8) In some of its lodges, Freemasonry discriminates against non-whites.

While it is clear that some Christians, moral persons, and outstanding government leaders have been and are members of the Freemasonic movement, several points of the lodge’s teachings are non-biblical and non-Christian.
    And, while Freemasonry encourages and supports
    charitable activities, it contains both multireligious and inclusivistic teachings that are not Christian in its religious instruction.
    Taking the above into consideration, and being
    consistent with our denomination’s historic deep
    conviction regarding both the priesthood of the believer and the autonomy of the local church, we recommend that each individual Baptist, as well as each congregation, carefully review the issues of the teachings and practices of Freemasonry. Since, in the final analysis, the Bible alone is the only guide for faith and practice, issues related to Freemasonry and any other fraternal organization, especially secret societies, must be evaluated only in light of the plumb line of Scripture. The divinity and
    lordship of Christ, the substitutionary atonement of Christ, and salvation by grace through faith are foundational and nonnegotiable doctrines and the teachings of any organization or society in contradiction to such biblical tenets must be evaluated accordingly. It is,
    therefore, the duty of every Christian to resist and avoid false teachings to speak the truth in love and to embrace only those doctrines which are revealed in the inerrant Scripture, the Bible (see Matt. 7:24—27; John 7—10; 1
    Cor. 10:14; Jude 3).

[ December 11, 2002, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Randall S ]

6. Randall S

Randall S New Member

For those that are interested, there are two booklets that give the SBC’s position on Freemasonry here are the links to obtain them.

For a copy of SBC’s booklet on Freemasonry go to:
    http://www.namb.net/evangelism/iev/PDF/Closer_Look_Freemasonry.pdf

The SBC also investigated a book used by Freemasonry entitled “A Bridge to Light.” “The North American Mission Board (NAMB) Interfaith Evangelism Team, in this booklet, takes a closer look at A Bridge to Light. There are several reasons for this critique. First, A Bridge to Light is an official publication of The Supreme Council, 33rd degree Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction, United States of America. Second, it is a contemporary publication. Third, the book is strongly recommended by C. Fred Kleinknecht, 33rd degree, Sovereign Grand Commander, Scottish Rite Freemasonry. Kleinknecht writes in the Foreword of the 1988 edition: “I believe that the publication of this work could truly be the dawning of a new day in our Jurisdiction” [p. vii]. Fourth, the book was unanimously approved by the Scottish Rite Committee on Rituals and Ceremonial Forms [p. ii]. And last, the book is now given to all candidates for Scottish Rite degrees [Jim Tresner, “Perspectives, Responses & Reflections” (Unpublished article, n.d.), p. 20].”

The SBC booklet reports that A Bridge to Light:
    Denies Certainty in Religious Truth Claims
    Argues Against Fearing God
    Falsely Claims that Christianity Affirms Dualism
    Teaches a False Trinity
    Claims It Is Impossible to Have Knowledge of God
    Confuses Pagan Deities with the One True God
    Denies the Uniqueness of Jesus

In addition
    “A Bridge to Light” admits Influence of Pagan Religions on Scottish Rite Symbolism
    Teaches that Truth Is Found Within
    Scottish Rite Uses the Occult as a Source of Religious Truth
    Teaches a Works Salvation

For a copy of SBC’s booklet on “A Bridge to Light” go to:
    http://www.namb.net/evangelism/iev/PDF/CL_Bridge_of_Light.pdf

You might also look at http://www.namb.net/evangelism/iev/mason.asp

[ December 11, 2002, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Randall S ]

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You forgot to point out that the 1993 report also states the following:

We commend the Masonic Order for its many charitable endeavors such as the operation of 22 Shriners hospitals, 19 orthopedic hospitals, and 3 burns institutes with noteworthy success in treatment, research, and education, often providing free treatment to children under 18 years of age. Also, we commend support of the Foundation for the Prevention of Drug and Alcohol Abuse Among Children and the Eastern Star sponsorship of Masonic Homes for the Aged. These, with many other charitable and benevolent endeavors, are commendable.

We acknowledge that many outstanding Christians and Southern Baptists now are, and in the past have been, Masons, including such notable past Southern Baptist leaders as B.H. Carroll, George W. Truett, L.R. Scarborough, W.T. Connor, Louie D. Newton, and J.B. Lawrence.

We recognize that many of the tenets and teachings of some Grand Lodges could be considered compatible with, and even supportive of, Christian faith and practice, such as the strong emphasis on honesty, integrity, industry, and character and the insistence that every member believe in God. Some Grand Lodges have written into their monitors, guidelines, and rituals explicit references to Christian faith, including exact quotes from the Bible...

IN SUMMARY - In light of the fact that many tenets and teachings of Freemasonry are not compatible with Christianity and Southern Baptist doctrine, while others are compatible with Christianity and Southern Baptist doctrine, we therefore recommend that consistent with our denomination's deep convictions regarding the priesthood of the believer and the autonomy of the local church, membership in a Masonic Order be a matter of personal conscience. Therefore, we exhort Southern Baptists to prayerfully and carefully evaluate Freemasonry in light of the Lordship of Christ, the teachings of the Scripture, and the findings of this report, as led by the Holy Spirit of God.

8. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Did you not see that Freemasons were in on this decision? How many Freemansons are going to basically excommunicate themselves from their own church?

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It passed with an overwhelming majority. I have no data concerning how many who voted in favor were Masons. If you have such info, please feel free to post it. I doubt that the number of Masons in the SBC is remotely close to any kind of majority.

10. Randall S

Randall S New Member

Of course there are good men in the lodge and of course the lodge does good deeds. I was not aware that was in question.
    However, my post was in response to your statement that made it appear that the SBC saw nothing wrong with the lodge. I simply want others who view this board to see the actual statements of the SBC so they can judge for themselves. Further, I posted the links to the SBC web site so other could see the SBC stand - which includes the information you posted. I haven't posted my personal opinions on Freemasonry and I don't believe that to be necessary.

11. Eladar

Eladar New Member

In all actuality I don't know how the SBC could call for any action beyond the scope of the local congregation.

It really is sad when people put 'soul competency' and 'local autonomy' above scriptural commands.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

However, my post was in response to your statement that made it appear that the SBC saw nothing wrong with the lodge. I simply want others who view this board to see the actual statements of the SBC so they can judge for themselves.

Understood, and appreciated.

13. Eladar

Eladar New Member

This is what is wrong with Baptists. They think it is more important to be allowed to believe what they want to believe than to make a stand for Christ. It is a common problem in US society.

"You look the other way when I do something wrong, and I'll look the other way when you do something wrong." [​IMG]

14. Angie Miller

Angie Miller New Member

[​IMG] Hi all, I had a chance to sit down and talk to my friends wife the other day about the Masons, and his joining. She said they do have rituals persay but she does not know what they are yet. So I am just kind of feeling the situation out right now.
    I think what really scares me about this man joining is that he is not a strong Christian and tends to wander from thing to thing. I worry about what this organization might be to someone who is always ready to jump that line to be accepted. :( So I am going to keep an eye on him and see what I notice.
    Love in Christ Angie [​IMG]