1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mass mailing question

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by BM, Jan 19, 2006.

1. BM

BM New Member

I send out over 500 newsletter's a month and I have all my address'es where I can just print them out on labels but I have so many than when I first started and get new ones each month that I now need them in some order to where I can just look and see if I already have one. The only things I know about a computer I have taught myself so would appreciate any help.

******Thank-you******

**Becky**

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How are your addresses stored? Are they in a list in a word processor, or in a database or what? What program are you using to store them in?

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I think you do need to put them in a database if they are not already. You can download Open Office, which is a free set of programs including a word processor, spreadsheet program, and database program. You'll probably need to devote some time to figuring out how the program works, but databases are very convenient once you get them set up.

4. BM

BM New Member

I don't have them in a database but I do have open office on my computer already. So far I have just put them in mail merge wizard and then have them in my documents. I am going to try studying up on a database so be on the look out I will probaly have some silly questions :rolleyes:

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

BM, you should have your addresses in something like an Access or similar database. Also, you should check with the post office to see if your organization can get a bulk mailing discount. It will likely require that you "presort" your mail, but there is software available to do this, such as Postalsoft Desktop Mailer.

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look around in the help file of the wizard if there is one and see if there is an export option. You might be able to export the information and draw it into a database and not have to type them all back in.

Again, what program are you using? That would help us know if transferring might be possible.

7. BM

BM New Member

I just put them in microsoft word and yes Johnv we do have the bulk mailing account with the postal service.

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you merge from a list that you have created? If so what was the list created in? If it was within Word, open the list up and then go to file menu and see if you can export the list. I would think you could, use the comma delimited option and it will create a file with the information in it. You can then open a database and you should be able to import the file into the database program and then sort by last name and be in business.

You might have to do some reading in the help files of both programs.