1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Master of Theology from SBTS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Havensdad, Aug 3, 2010.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Moderator's warning

Moderator's warning. Get back on topic ASAP. Take this topic to an appropriate thread and have at it.

2. Siberian

Siberian New Member

To the Op: It is a little late to ask this, but I was wondering why you are not interested in Liberty's Th.M. (or their non-residency version, the STM)? If you have the language pre-requisites, admissions should not be an issue.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

#1 Academic inbreeding. I do not want 3 different degrees from the same school. My M.Div. is from Liberty.

#2 Academic rigor/acceptance. I am Southern Baptist; thus many ministerial positions and teaching positions, desire a degree from one of the "Big Six." They are also one of the (if not THE) most respected Baptist Seminaries in the Country (at least, among the non-liberal groups).

#3 Beyond this, SBTS is much more in line with where I am theologically.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

#4: SBTS is the greatest seminary on the planet, therefore, LBTS would be far inferior :tongue3:

5. Siberian

Siberian New Member

I did not know that your undergrad was from Liberty. A lot of people do their MDiv and ThM at the same institution, and I don't think that that is inbreeding at all (and I usually think of that term as an institution that hires its faculty from its pool of alumni). But variety is always good, and SBTS is obviously a well-regarded institution with top-rate academics.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

My undergrad is not from Liberty. But I may be doing a D.Min through Liberty, depending on how the ThM goes.

Also, you are right "academic inbreeding" is not the correct term. However, I believe it is best to get education from a wide spectrum of schools (within orthodoxy, of course). Getting all of your ed. from one school, tends to limit diversity in views, reading etc.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I just want Biblical views.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

True enough. But I would say that, for example, both Westminster, RTS and SBTS have Biblical views; but they certainly differ on some interpretations!