1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Masters Divinity School

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard alot about the Master's Divinity School (not to be confused with Masters Seminary). This school, if I understand correctly, is connected with Trinity College of the Bible and Theological Seminary (not to be confused with Trinity Evangelical Divinity School). Neither program is accredited (though Trinity is on its way). However I would not consider either program to be properly classified as a "degree mill". Trinity has had some problems with claiming accreditation when they did not have it, and this will haunt them even after they get regional accreditation (which I have ever reason to believe they will). I want, however, to zero in on Master's Divinity School.

I was looking over their web page moments ago (http://www.mdivs.edu). They seem to be as straight forward as you can get about the fact that they are unaccredited. That can be seen in the following statement:

"Our degree programs are designed to be used within the context of Christian ministry only, and as such, are not intended to meet any required licensure standards, or secular civil standards whether local, state or federal. Therefore, your needs and goals should determine the program of your choice."

While they do go on to talk further about accreditation, they even give the disadvantages of earning a degree from a non-accredited school such as Masters Divinity School. So from this standpoint I am some what impressed with their approach.

Further, I am highly impressed with their MA/Biblical Creation Apologetics (http://www.mdivs.edu/bca.html). While this degree would certainly not gain one employment in any field (science, education, etc) it certainly would not be a waste of time/energy/money. More Christians should be aware of the issues surrounding creationism, and the scientific evidence for it (including the modern intelligent design theory). Therefore I am happy to see Masters offering this program. And I fully agree with their, "who should take this program", statement:

"pastors, Christian school teachers and administrators, Christian college faculty and administrators, evangelists, and other Christian leaders"

We need more pastors, school teachers, administrators, college teachers, evangelists, and lay people of all types who are educated on the issues of creation apologetics.

If I had time I would sign up for this program. Not for employment purposes, but rather for the purposes of getting better educated on Biblical Creationism (without having to get too technical). Maybe one day, when I have finished all of my offical schooling, I will sign up for this program.

I already have certificates in Biblical Studies and Bible Prophecy from the Institute of Biblical Studies (Jerry Falwell Ministries). While those two certificates were not offical degrees, I learned alot from the studies. I think these type programs are great ideas.

For more on creation apologetics I would advise people to check out the Answers In Genesis website, or the Institute For Creation Research website.

In Christ,
    Martin.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

Hey Martin,

I agree with the importance of creationism. Nevertheless, while MDS is not a degree mill, they appear "degree millish." For instance, the preponderance of its staff and faculty have terminal degrees from non-accredited institutions. There are better DE alternatives, IMO.

I think MDS arose out of some sort of falling out with Trinity Theological Seminary.

It seems there was a good discussion about MDS in this forum some weeks ago, but I may be wrong.

Blessings,
    Bill

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Nevertheless, while MDS is not a degree mill, they appear "degree millish." For instance, the preponderance of its staff and faculty have terminal degrees from non-accredited institutions. There are better DE alternatives"

==As you know, I agree with you 100%. However I am just talking about something to do "on the side" or "just for the educational fun of it" and not as an offical education (which MDS is not). If someone wants a real degree that will be widely accepted there are many schools out there that offer good programs.

For example there is the Southern Evangelical Seminary. They hold to a literal seven day creationism. They offer the MDiv/Apologetics and the MA/Apologetics. They are a TRACS only school, so there will be some limit on acceptance of credits/degrees by other schools. However that should not be a problem if someone makes sure that future schools/places of employment acknowledge credits/degrees from TRACS only schools (mainly Southern). O, btw, I got a second email from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. They will accept transfer credits (etc) from TRACS schools, they directly said they accept credits/degrees from Southern Evangelical. The email said, in part, "Southern is accredited by TRACS and we will accept transfer credits from them". Thats great news!

Then there is Biola University. They have a new MA/Christian Apologetics program (w/ a limited distance education option). I am going to try to get information on this program (just to see what it is about). Now I think Biola holds to old earth creationism, I say this because of their association with Reasons To Believe (Hugh Ross). However it would still be a good program.

If one is more scientifically inclined one can attend the Graduate School of the Institute for Creation Research. Very technical, young earth, six day creation program.

Liberty also holds to young earth creationism. They now offer a MDiv or MAR with concentrations in Theology/Apologetics (via Distance Learning). I am getting my MAR in Biblical Studies.

If one wants an offical degree program those schools would be the route one would need to take. But for something on the side, something unoffical, just for the sake of learning, I think that Master's Divinity would not be a bad thing.

In Christ,
    Martin.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

Martin,

Good remarks. I understand where you're coming from. For the sake of learning, though, I think I might study with material from ICR or answers in Genesis or even audit some DE courses which would be taught from an creationist perspective. Your points are well taken.

Bill