1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Masters of Arts in Religion

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by MinisterP, Oct 12, 2006.

1. MinisterP

MinisterP New Member

I'm just curious as to what job or ministry related opportunites are out there for someone with an M.A.R.? Thanks in advance for your answer.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==It really depends what school you earn your MAR from. Some school's MAR is nothing more than a basic, entry level, degree for lay people. At other schools, such as Liberty, it is the half way point of the MDiv degree. What can a person do with it? I guess, in a Baptist Church, you can do whatever you want with it. I am sure there are pastors, missionaries, Church education ministers, etc, who only have a MAR. Most people, like myself, who earn a MAR have more education in mind. Many go on to earn a MDiv degree or further there education in a related field (education, history, etc).

So it really depends upon what you are wanting to do.

3. MinisterP

MinisterP New Member

Well, I'm in the M.Div. program at Memphis Theological Seminary. I already have a Masters in Education (I'm currently a full-time teacher). I was considering switching to M.A.R. and do other things which may include getting an Ed.D in Educational Leadership.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Depending upon your goals a MAR maybe right for you. If you are not going into any "offical" ministry position (preacher, etc) you probably do not need a MDiv degree but you may "want" one (you know?). So it depends upon what your goals are.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Minister P

I also live in Memphis. I teach at a Baptist College here. I am in the SPE Lily Grant program of the MTS. I also have the MAR degree from Harding Grad School of Religion (Church(es) of Christ Seminary).

You can go to the ATS web page and look it up to get more info. But, as I understand it, it is a Junior MDiv degree. Or, a professional degree in ministry that could possibly be used as the brother said above, to do "anything you want to do with it."

It is equal to the Master of Theological studies and can get you into doctoral work like mine helped me to do.

Email me or Private Post if you want and we will talk.

I hope this helps.

sdg!
    :applause:
    rd

#5 Rhetorician, Oct 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
  6. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

I've been looking at the MAR degree also. The MDIV looks appealing but I don't look forward to the Hebrew/Greek language classes. I inquired at Liberty and they mentioned having a MDIV with an English language track. :thumbsup: I might go that route. Having the MDIV provides the widest options later on. I know that if I only do the MAR degree, going back later for a MDIV probably won't happen.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes Liberty does have an english track MDiv online. However, and this is a BIG however, a english track MDiv will limit you. How? If you wish to go on to a ThM, DMin, or PhD, you will need a certain amount of work in Hebrew and Greek. If you are not wanting to go further with your education than an english track MDiv is fine, otherwise it would be better to find a MDiv that offers the languages. I know that Luther Rice's online MDiv program has languages, and Southern Evangelical is starting to offer online language courses. I asked Liberty about online languages and I was told there were no plans to put the language courses online. That is a major down-side to Liberty's program. Programs that offer no languages maybe fine for the MAR but I don't think it is fine for the MDiv. In fact Liberty's ThM and DMin require MDivs with languages.

You may need to check out Southern Evangelical Seminary. They have several online MA degrees and the MDiv.

#7 Martin, Oct 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
  8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello All!

"Gomer says Hey!"

As most all of you know I have been called an "educational snob" by some on the BB in times gone by. It is probably deserved on some level!

I would like to take advantage of that rep and make one statement, and it is not meant to hurt anyone personally or to be offensive to any.

But, what I think of the MDiv "Without Languages" (and SWBTS started such back in the 80s), should not even be a degree or in existence. The MDiv, if it is for anything else, it is to train ministers for the pastor and other denom and admin positions. If a minister does not have the "Biblical Languages" then how, prey tell me, can one handle the word of life and "cut it straight?"

My two cents worth!

sdg!:wavey:

rd

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Gomer!

You might be right to call yourself an educational snob.

:laugh:

Why am I under the impression that both SWBTS and SBTS were started to provide English track seminary training?

When did they give up on the vision?

;)

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Rhet -- I agree. I've said it before (and no one's called me a snob, but that's probably because I'm a gal and the ones that would don't think I know anything :tongue3: )

BUT if an MDiv is being offered without Hebrew and Greek, it should be called something else. To call it an MDiv IMPLIES that languages were taken. I think it's deceptive.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Wayne,

My oldest is at SWBTS and he didn't have any non-language options for his MDIV. As I recall, they were a bit picky on the Hebrew and Greek they would accept and he had to take some courses over again. But I only half pay attention on stuff like that, so I could be wrong. I do know he had to take 6 hours of Greek that didn't count toward his 90 hours.

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MC Director Response

Hello!

In some (most, all?) SBC seminaries (I know of Southern and Mid America) that they assume one will come in with 6 undergrad hrs of "Baby Greek" from Bible college or Christian university.

That is probably the reason he had to take something over or did not get credit for it.

FYI!

sdg!

rd

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I understood that Rhet :D Wayne had mentioned that he thought SWBTS was beginning an English track, so I was just sharing our experience.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I do not think that 90 hours of graduate religion courses called an MDiv is academically deceptive. The theology might be bad, but the education is not bad.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Let me modify that to: Weren't both SWBTS and SBTS founded to provide English track seminary training for those that could not afford the traditional greek language training?

Now I might be wrong on that . . . but, they both provided English tracks about a century ago . . . that I do know . . .

;)

#15 El_Guero, Oct 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I do think that an MDIV with no languages is deceptive regardless of the number of hours. I think an MDiv implies languages. If you aren't going to do the languages, get an RE. Of course this is just my opinion and not worth the paper it's written on (or the cyber space it takes up!)

Obviously I'm not saying what I think I 'm saying -- Maybe I'm talking in Greek today :laugh:

17. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boyce's "Three Changes in Theological Institutions"

To all who seek wisdom through knowledge:

If you want to know the "where" and the "when" of the "English Bible" track seminary degree then read this address. Anyone in SBC life who has a "Diploma of Theology" or an "Associate of Divinity" owes their degree/eduction to this concept.

Three Changes in Theological Institutions

www.founders.org/library/three.html

You will find it very fascinating at the very least.

FYI!

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

18. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apology

I am sorry. I do not know what happened. If you copy and paste it in your browser it will take you there.

And it really is worth the read, especially if you are SBC and interested in the SBC tradition of theological education.

sdg!

rd
    :thumbsup:

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'll see your two cents and raise three. That'll get us up to a nickel.

I suppose it would go without saying, after reading this, that you would not be at all impressed with a Seminary headed by one who never finished a Bachelor's degree, or one whose President only had earned an M.A. degree, either, am I correct, here? Just wonderin'!

Your bid! Raise, fold, or call.

Ed

#19 EdSutton, Oct 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2006
  20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Now that was what I was talking about!!!

;)

Wayne